Walkabout on Hood, Cowling, Roof? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

jaymar

SILVER Star
Threads
Figure I'm 235-260# depending on season and clothing (which I'd prefer to keep on) and walk-around gear. Will the roof/cowling/hood take that kind of weight in the footprint of, well, a foot?

Last edited:
No. I’m 214. Cowl yes, hood no.

No. I’m 214. Cowl yes, hood no.
Roof? I mean, I see the ladies frolicking atop their Defenders. But this ain’t a Defender, and I ain’t no lady...

Z.jpg

Okay, this one has a roof rack--but she stands on the hood, too.

Last edited:
Hood - no, roof - no, cowling - hell no. Cowling is thinner than a bus ticket, hood and roof have supports but i don't think they would handle much weight.

My hood was dented in several places by two Labrador retrievers. Get a roof rack with lots of gutter clamps if you want to stand on something.
Waiting to go on with ten supports. Gotta do a little work topside first.

Garvin wilderness rack held me and my dog on the roof rack whilst consuming large quantities of brown liquor. I must have gotten lucky on the cowl. Or bourbon makes me lighter than air.

If I may be so bold... idea mate is to keep it shiny side up and mostly on dry ground. Otherwise it's gone potentially irrevocably wrong.
Figure I'm 235-260# depending on season and clothing (which I'd prefer to keep on) and walk-around gear. Will the roof/cowling/hood take that kind of weight in the footprint of, well, a foot?
When do you do this?

Why?

Garvin wilderness rack held me and my dog on the roof rack whilst consuming large quantities of brown liquor. I must have gotten lucky on the cowl. Or bourbon makes me lighter than air.
Once the rack is on, it will spread the load. Right now it’s on one or 2 feet. Mine. :)

Last edited:
If I may be so bold... idea mate is to keep it shiny side up and mostly on dry ground. Otherwise it's gone potentially irrevocably wrong.

When do you do this?
Haven’t done it yet, hence the question. :)

Last edited:
Who cares? Just jump up there. Report back your findings.
Right, and tighten any bolts I find until they snap, then back off 1/4 turn. Got it.

There’s a joke in Japan: What is an American? Answer: Why do you want to know?

Will be getting into Instagram soon, I need to know exactly what kind of man-and-his-truck photos I can do without damaging the latter (or, ideally, the former).

Can I stand over the windshield, directing my steely gaze at the horizon? Can I lounge upon the hood in my speedo? Do handsprings across the roof? Flip my hair while dangling from the ladder (without breaking my neck)?

These are burning questions that demand answers.

I'll spare you my rant on social media, and my opinions on the way it negatively impacts our social interactions and inhibits our ability to live and enjoy real experiences of the moment, by creating a pressure to present every aspect of our lives in an artificial and choreographed format to meet with approval from a wider social network, rather than living and presenting ourselves genuinely and honestly without the need for external validation. Yep, I won't go into any of that at all. ;)

As to your question, I have absolutely no idea. I've never climbed on top of my vehicle, and I don't think I even have a single picture where both myself and my landcruiser are in the same shot. That said, I know how you can find the answers to your questions. Find a self-serve wrecker with an 80 series, preferably one you don't frequent. Climb up, jump around, gaze majestically into the sunset, whatever you want to do. Note what breaks or doesn't, and you have your answer. If the yard owner comes out angry to ask what the hell you're doing, run away very fast.

I'll spare you my rant on social media, and my opinions on the way it negatively impacts our social interactions and inhibits our ability to live and enjoy real experiences of the moment, by creating a pressure to present every aspect of our lives in an artificial and choreographed format to meet with approval from a wider social network, rather than living and presenting ourselves genuinely and honestly without the need for external validation. Yep, I won't go into any of that at all. ;)

As to your question, I have absolutely no idea. I've never climbed on top of my vehicle, and I don't think I even have a single picture where both myself and my landcruiser are in the same shot. That said, I know how you can find the answers to your questions. Find a self-serve wrecker with an 80 series, preferably one you don't frequent. Climb up, jump around, gaze majestically into the sunset, whatever you want to do. Note what breaks or doesn't, and you have your answer. If the yard owner comes out angry to ask what the hell you're doing, run away very fast.
Gaze MAJESTICALLY. I like that. Not gonna disagree with you; I've taken maybe two dozen photos of myself in as many years. Upcoming brand ambassadorship thing, so there's no way around a social media presence. The frolicking stuff is hyperbole, of course (for me, not for the ladies, who have different rules). Heisenberg might beg to differ, but I think one can be authentic in the presence of a camera. Even when standing on the roof, or hood (both of which--like it or not--really do seem de rueuger).

I'm also gonna say this dude is as authentic as they come (and also owns a '97 80)...

ZZ.jpg

As to the downsides of SM/tech, well, I'm not gonna go on about that. But this gal does...

Last edited:
There’s a joke in Japan: What is an American? Answer: Why do you want to know?

Will be getting into Instagram soon, I need to know exactly what kind of man-and-his-truck photos I can do without damaging the latter (or, ideally, the former).

Can I stand over the windshield, directing my steely gaze at the horizon? Can I lounge upon the hood in my speedo? Do handsprings across the roof? Flip my hair while dangling from the ladder (without breaking my neck)?

These are burning questions that demand answers.
Yes, the middle of your hood will support you well.

So will the middle of the roof.

Please take lots of majestic photos of yourself in highly suggestive positions and post them.

We are all looking forward to the images that are......Jaymar..........

Yes, the middle of your hood will support you well.

So will the middle of the roof.

Please take lots of majestic photos of yourself in highly suggestive positions and post them.

We are all looking forward to the images that are......Jaymar..........
Yeahyeah. Not looking forward to that aspect of things, seriously. 90% of my social media activity is right here on Mud...

Last edited:
The trip down must have given your guardian angle a fright! :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom