Is our 200 LC really a $100k SUV?..> (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all,

Crazy times indeed, new normal and all..lol bur seriously prices are sky high, they have never been at this level. Even used LC 200's with low miles are going for above usual sticker price of $87k.
Maybe a bubble but maybe not-

We know a tahoe, yukon/expedition is high 70's low 80s for high country and they are not half the vehicle or 200 is (biased but true).

So the question is if you only wanted new and had to spend 100k on a new 200, as there are no news ones left, would you do it and would it be worth it long term? Also what about used prices being higher than ever, and would you spend $90k on a used LC with under 10-20k miles.
I am just curious what the group thinks.
Thank you
Eric

Cars that are emotional - sports cars, luxury sedans, even luxury SUVs that are not practical (I'm talking to you fastback versions of euro SUVs) - will always depreciate at a high rate because they were overpriced in the first place. They rely on the emotions of the purchaser which wane as the next latest and greatest come along leaving last year's version sitting on the bench. Honda Accords, Civics and CRVs as well as Toyota Camrys, 4Runners and yes even Land Cruisers are seen as more utilitarian and less emotional. Until recently a dealer couldn't even consider getting sticker on any of these cars. Ultimately the supply chain will be righted and the balance will return, but by then inflation (which is a real thing) will have taken care of whatever elasticity there was to the price bubble for LCs. Land Cruisers specifically are aided by one key factor - there aren't that many of them. That is why 80 and 100 prices are strong and 60 prices are bordering on painful. Even if you decide you are good with an older gen version, there just aren't that many of them offered for sale. I doubt that Toyota will flood the US market with 300 series Cruisers in the years to come, so yes, I think a new LC200 will ultimately be worth $100k based on getting good use out of your time of ownership and the future price of the vehicle on the used market. All of this depends on use vs. abuse as with all cars, but I don't think that's a wild case to make.

My wife and I are currently debating this same thing right now. We have a 2013 currently, and really want to buy a new(er) one while we can. Its just really hard to justify so much over MSRP. I think we may still be doing it though...

No. LC is not a $100k car. It just isn’t. Interior tells the story. Fake wood!!!! Name me a car costing more than $60k that has fake wood. Besides the semi-aniline leather, the rest of interior is kinda cheap. Plastic door handles. Plastics are average At best.

Of course, construction (outside and inside) is top notch, better than pretty much everyone else, regardless of price tag. Although very capable due to CRAWL and articulation, it also lacks any form of axle lockers that most cars in its price range has.

And this is reflected in its sales…not many people think that it is worth the price tag…unless you really drill into its underlying beauty of durability and reliability.

My wife and I are currently debating this same thing right now. We have a 2013 currently, and really want to buy a new(er) one while we can. Its just really hard to justify so much over MSRP. I think we may still be doing it though...

I would wait man. We're definitely in a bubble and I really think a correction just has to be right around the corner.

I have a 2014 and probably won't buy another 200 for quite a while - if ever. It's basically the same truck and I'm really not into spending the $$$ on another build of the same truck. Really hoping that Toyota come to their senses on the 300 at some point in the future.

I wouldn’t. I really love my Land Cruisers but the two 200s I have in Saudi aren’t $100K cars in my assessment; not even close. I recently bought a Navigator Reserve. Now that’s close to a $100k SUV.

No. LC is not a $100k car. It just isn’t. Interior tells the story. Fake wood!!!! Name me a car costing more than $60k that has fake wood. Besides the semi-aniline leather, the rest of interior is kinda cheap. Plastic door handles. Plastics are average At best.

My wife's $92K Navigator has fake wood. As did her ~$92K LX570 before that. As did her Range Rover before that. My M5 before my Land Cruiser didn't, but I think that's because I opted for the piano black trim instead of the wood.

My wife's $92K Navigator has fake wood. As did her ~$92K LX570 before that. As did her Range Rover before that. My M5 before my Land Cruiser didn't, but I think that's because I opted for the piano black trim instead of the wood.
What year is your Navigator? LX570 has real wood. Range Rover has it too. It is just a thin strip of real wood on top of plastic/base plate.

My 2020 Navigator Reserve has real wood.

Edit: Not to mention it does 0 - 60 in under 6 seconds. Pretty good for a 6000 lb brick.

Last edited:
What year is your Navigator? LX570 has real wood. Range Rover has it too. It is just a thin strip of real wood on top of plastic/base plate.
2019 Navigator Reserve. LX570 was 2014. RR was 2010.

I didn't drill holes in any of them, but they all look fake.

Is it a 100k SUV? Yes and no, I think it’s a precisely made, well built, low-key vehicle. As far as I can tell, there’s not another vehicle like that. All other vehicles are too ostentatious when you get into that price range.

I had a budget of 90K for a vehicle when I bought mine. There is serious competition at that price and I needed a car that didn’t make you ‘that guy’ at work. So, for me it checks all of the boxes and should increase in value as time goes on.

It is a special vehicle and if you can swing it, I’d get a 2016 or new as possible, low miles and forget about (in my opinion) silly gold wheels on the HEs.

Agreed.

One look under any of the ‘other’ $100k vehicles and it’s proof where your money is going. Navigator, GM, etc all look like they’ll fall apart after a few years. Poor qualify, bottom dollar mechanicals and structural engineering.
Is it a 100k SUV? Yes and no, I think it’s a precisely made, well built, low-key vehicle. As far as I can tell, there’s not another vehicle like that. All other vehicles are too ostentatious when you get into that price range.

I had a budget of 90K for a vehicle when I bought mine. There is serious competition at that price and I needed a car that didn’t make you ‘that guy’ at work. So, for me it checks all of the boxes and should increase in value as time goes on.

It is a special vehicle and if you can swing it, I’d get a 2016 or new as possible, low miles and forget about (in my opinion) silly gold wheels on the HEs.

My '13 LX has real wood. Doesn't do much for me but it looks nice.

All used car prices are through the roof, not just the Land Cruiser. The price spike hit right when Toyota announced no more LC for the USA. A perfect combo to send prices to insane levels.

I like the Navigator. Rented one for the family while in CO for two weeks. Absolutely comfortable for picking up extended family and friends. Loads of power and the breaking was very smooth. The only thing the LC offers over the new Navigator Reserve is off road capability and reliability. Fuel mileage was pretty decent as well. It doesn’t feel like you’re driving a big suv. The Navigator is worth 100k when comparing to other vehicles in its price range. I haven’t driven the new Cadillac Sport Plat. yet and it would probably be the one I’d get if I were shopping for a third row family hauler. Don’t get me wrong, I love my 200 but when it comes to road trips, the Navigator and cady are the way to go.

Last edited:
If there are people willing to pay then that’s the story. No way they are worth $100k. Some dealers charging these extreme markups. If they can mark them up and sell them, why not?

My concern would be the market going down after this BS all ends. I am not saying the values of LCs will crash, but come down to reality.

I would not want to be paying $110k, $120k or whatever, when these were selling for $80k last year.

Either way, we are in crazy times and a correction will happen sooner or later and things will normalize.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom