Upgrades to a 2018 VX-R Model (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi,

Recently got a used 2018 Land Cruiser 200 VX-R and wanted to get a few upgrades for it. Wanted to upgrade the shocks to either Fox or King 2.5 and a steel front bumper.

A friend of mine owns a workshop, and works on these things everyday, advised against upgrading the VX-R model because of its numerous sensors, radars, and systems that could be affected with the upgrades.

For example, the car has the KDSS system on it. Has anyone put Fox/Kings on a LC200 with KDSS without interfering with the KDSS?

I wanted to hear from the community if they have had any experience with this model.

Hi,

Recently got a used 2018 Land Cruiser 200 VX-R and wanted to get a few upgrades for it. Wanted to upgrade the shocks to either Fox or King 2.5 and a steel front bumper.

A friend of mine owns a workshop, and works on these things everyday, advised against upgrading the VX-R model because of its numerous sensors, radars, and systems that could be affected with the upgrades.

For example, the car has the KDSS system on it. Has anyone put Fox/Kings on a LC200 with KDSS without interfering with the KDSS?

I wanted to hear from the community if they have had any experience with this model.

Every US LandCruiser (not LX) came with KDSS and thousands of them have lifts that work great. Your buddy may be referring to “KDSS lean” which is really a myth and the problem caused by other issues. If your lift is set up correctly it won’t be a problem.

Depending on the sensors.. they should be adjustable. Many US cruisers have a radar antenna for the radar cruise control and you can adjust the angle of this part easily. The angle of broadcast on that antenna is narrow enough that it usually misses the uprights in steel bumpers, but that may be determined by the individual bumper. Not sure what else would be a concern.

Now if you have the adjustable height suspension.. (AHC) that’s a whole other ball of wax. It can be removed for different suspension but needs certain electronic modules unhooked to avoid turning your dash into a Christmas tree. KDSS with standard coils and shocks is just fine though.

I (and probably a dozen others here) am running king 2.5s with KDSS and it works very very well. Note that king has very long lead times at this point.

Every US LandCruiser (not LX) came with KDSS and thousands of them have lifts that work great. Your buddy may be referring to “KDSS lean” which is really a myth and the problem caused by other issues. If your lift is set up correctly it won’t be a problem.

Depending on the sensors.. they should be adjustable. Many US cruisers have a radar antenna for the radar cruise control and you can adjust the angle of this part easily. The angle of broadcast on that antenna is narrow enough that it usually misses the uprights in steel bumpers, but that may be determined by the individual bumper. Not sure what else would be a concern.

Now if you have the adjustable height suspension.. (AHC) that’s a whole other ball of wax. It can be removed for different suspension but needs certain electronic modules unhooked to avoid turning your dash into a Christmas tree. KDSS with standard coils and shocks is just fine though.

I (and probably a dozen others here) am running king 2.5s with KDSS and it works very very well. Note that king has very long lead times at this point.
Thanks for replying and giving your thoughts. Certainly helps to understand what others are doing.

I don't have adjustable height suspension, just the standard coils and shocks. I bought it specifically because of that.

Did you tell King that your car had KDSS when you ordered the shocks? Do you know if they did anything "different" to accommodate KDSS?

Thanks for replying and giving your thoughts. Certainly helps to understand what others are doing.

I don't have adjustable height suspension, just the standard coils and shocks. I bought it specifically because of that.

Did you tell King that your car had KDSS when you ordered the shocks? Do you know if they did anything "different" to accommodate KDSS?
I ordered my kings through filthy motorsports, and paid extra for “custom valving consulting.” I can’t say whether there were any differences for KDSS, but it does seem safe to assume they are designed to accommodate the system since all US 200-series LandCruisers had it, and that is their home market.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom