What wrench to use to get last bolt off exhaust manifold (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So in the process replacing exhaust manifold gasket due to leaks on the center two set of runners. I am struggling to get the last 14mm bolt on the manifold off. It’s the one closest to the firewall. So what tool swivel or rib bone wrench do i need? Maybe witchcraft is the answer?

C661E5F9-04AD-47B9-BEAB-909FA4ADE1FB.jpeg

2D0431E9-4412-46AD-B3BE-3E8D11C62716.jpeg

It always a bitch. Just climb on top and work it turn by turn

It always a bitch. Just climb on top and work it turn by turn
Got it! Took a strange combo of tools lol. Small breaker bar type ( because a ratchet or a box end wrench wouldn’t fit.) Could have used a piece of conduit as a Leverage extender. But it’s out and i’m happy about it.

6AA2AD9A-D473-4DC4-8722-71CB8F97A94B.jpeg

54D47681-83A2-4924-85DD-AAEA1F436B20.jpeg

D72D73DD-EA66-4D88-98BB-95D7EEF06F23.jpeg

30 years ago I started servicing a 78FJ40 for local who had bought her truck from Jonathan Ward at his home, before he had a shop. During the following summer she came in and asked me to order a new firewall rubber for the hole right next to the gas pedal. Said the hot air coming through the firewall was keeping her from wearing sandels. :princess: I looked at the truck, scratched my head because I couldn’t recall having seen that hole before, and I went to the microfiche.

When the microfiche confirmed my suspicion that the hole, though perfectly round, was not stock, I put my head up under the dash to take a look through the hole.

Then I laughed! THE HOLE WAS DIRECTLY IN LINE WITH THE LAST MANIFOLD BOLT!!!!

Last edited:
this is what i use for the Firewall end nut / bolt 14mm hex

1626496323256.png

^^^
Ah, perfect!

30 years ago I started servicing a 78FJ40 for local who had bought her truck from Jonathan Ward at his home, before he had a shop. During the following summer she came in and asked me to order a new firewall rubber for the hole right next to the gas pedal. Said the hot air coming through was keeping her from wearing sandels. :princess: I looked at the truck, scratched my head because I couldn’t recall having seen that one before, and went to the microfiche.

When the microfiche confirmed my suspicion that the hole, though perfectly round, was not stock, I put my head up under the dash to take a look through the hole.

Then I laughed! THE HOLE WAS DIRECTLY IN LINE WITH THE LAST MANIFOLD BOLT!!!!
Makes me wonder how many out there have a “service hole” added

Did you have bolts in place of studs/nuts?
Studs/nuts provide a better clamping force.

Mine had the end nuts replaced with bolts. I went back to studs. Also used a Reflex gasket since I had a header.
It had a combination of studs and bolts. Two smaller 14 mm heads bolts on the ends of the manifold. The center two were studs and 17mm head nuts. The other 4 were bolts with 17mm heads.

OEM is all studs. I went with all new longer studs and hardware from Bellmetric. I also used flange nuts instead of regular nuts to get better coverage on the manifolds.

OEM is all studs. I went with all new longer studs and hardware from Bellmetric. I also used flange nuts instead of regular nuts to get better coverage on the manifolds.
It is not Phil. Two studs in the center on the 2F. Someone with ace posting skills like @ToyotaMatt can post the microfiche pic that shows that.

I CHANGE them out for studs when I service the vehicles.😉

Last edited:
It is not Phil. Two studs in the center on the 2F. Someone with ace posting skills like @ToyotaMatt can post the microfiche pic that shows that.

I stand corrected. I was making an assumption based on an F motor and parts drawings from the web.

Here are the 2 TOP Secrets SKUNK WORKS JAPAN Made Parts Numbers

i personally use for the 2 END Exhaust manifolds Bolts UPGRADE UPDATE to Studs and Self Locking NUTS Theroy and Skool of thought i Promote and subscribe to ...

786B28B2-5AE1-4FB0-B48F-258A831364B4.jpeg
8020EB08-35E0-4113-AF5F-5637004D9BD8.jpeg
EE3E81CC-CB76-4CC7-AF2D-4D4DB60BA8CE.jpeg

Last edited:
Please Refer to Above Mr. Johnson and mark A . :cool:

I stand corrected. I was making an assumption based on an F motor and parts drawings from the web.

Uncle mark is correct ,

1/75-9/87

spec's BOLTS only on both ENDs of manifold exhaust

IGNORE RED INK , that was for another job ...........

MA6211C1.png

EARLY 2F set up

1626700794303.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom