Bush Alpha vs Alucab vs Terrapod (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all. I'm choosing a RTT. This will be my first. There seems to be a lot of different tents out there and quite a few seem be cookie cutter designs with slight modifications.

I chose these 3 because of their "uniqueness" and quality.

Some of my concerns are weight, comfort, amenities (usb outlets for phones, LED lights, star gazing, roof rack for solar panel and surfboards)

Bush tent 275lb
Alucab 3.1 172LB
Terrapod 100-120lb.

I also live in Oregon which is rainy in the winter, so insulation is a deciding factor too.
We plan to use the tent in other environments too, so an insulated tent sounds like a good idea.

I have yet to see a review on a Terrapod tent all though I have one on order.

The other two tents seem very close spec wise, but the weight difference is astounding to me.:oops:

My LC100 already has front and rear steel bumpers from BIOR.
Any feedback would be much appreciated.

Will have an in-field report on the Terrapod in two weeks, camping a week out of it in the mountains and desert. I built a spreadsheet for a number of tents and picked the Terrapod for the following strength in the following criteria:
1. dimensions (very low profile)
2. Weight (and strength of materials)
3. Overall design
4. Made in the USA

Thank you for responding. Those items are on my list too. I can’t wait to hear about it.

I've got the alpha on my 55 and we like it. Only used it a half dozen times, but the first was in a heavy downpour and high wind, no problems. We slept great and bone dry. Lots of storage and plug ins for stuff. I don't like the ladder for mounting and hard on your feet if shoeless. I can't really tell it's up there driving or mild offroading. It has the pad and we use two sleeping bags ( opened up ) and two pillows with all the lid closes nice.

IMG_4240.JPG

IMG_4247.JPG

I've got the alpha on my 55 and we like it. Only used it a half dozen times, but the first was in a heavy downpour and high wind, no problems. We slept great and bone dry. Lots of storage and plug ins for stuff. I don't like the ladder for mounting and hard on your feet if shoeless. I can't really tell it's up there driving or mild offroading. It has the pad and we use two sleeping bags ( opened up ) and two pillows with all the lid closes nice.

View attachment 2732498

View attachment 2732499
I’m with you on the ladder. I ordered a new ladder from OK4Wd it is the new Alu-Cab Should have it soon according to the shipper, been a long 5 months wait.

Is that the one with the rungs turned so they're flat when the ladder is set up?
Yes. Also appear slightly wider.

Back to the original post, weight is a big factor. I like the Terrapod for this reason, weight and form. The downside of a thin profile when closed is the ability to store all your bedding in the tent with your sleeping pad. A friend has the Terrapod (prototype #2 I believe ) and it is very strong, stands up to rain and wind very well. build quality is top notch. Currently mounted on an 80 series.

AluCab tent is also exceptional in build, stores bedding inside easily and very weather proof. The downside is weight and it is thicker when closed than the Terrapod and the mattress is not very comfortable. I like the ability to mount things to the roof tracks and over all it has a great reputation. Two of my friends have these tents and the speed with which they can break camp makes me reconsider my current tent. Both friends have these mounted to 100 series Landcruisers. This tent easily sleeps one child and two parents comfortably.

Bush Company Alpha is a huge tent. Another buddy of mine bought this tent because he needed the extra space ( he is 6’6”). Downside is the weight, height of the shell when closed. Once set up with all the wings deployed I doubt any rain would enter the tent. This tent is mounted to an 80 series. Added a picture of his truck with tent below.

My tent, Autohome Airtop, has well over 100 nights in all kinds of weather from the Arizona desert to the cold of Prudhoe Bay . Weight is comparable to what the Terrapod weighs and while thicker it allows me to store all of my bedding and pillows inside. Coldest nights camped was single digits and hottest triple digits. While I love my tent, it does take more time to break camp and it is a small two person size.
1626624199345.jpeg

If I was choosing a new tent I am currently thinking the Terrapod most closely fits my needs. Being able to choose a mattress, thin design, weight and the new roof mounting rails for adding a solar panel or carry other items tips this in its favor.

Back to the original post, weight is a big factor. I like the Terrapod for this reason, weight and form. The downside of a thin profile when closed is the ability to store all your bedding in the tent with your sleeping pad. A friend has the Terrapod (prototype #2 I believe ) and it is very strong, stands up to rain and wind very well. build quality is top notch. Currently mounted on an 80 series.

AluCab tent is also exceptional in build, stores bedding inside easily and very weather proof. The downside is weight and it is thicker when closed than the Terrapod and the mattress is not very comfortable. I like the ability to mount things to the roof tracks and over all it has a great reputation. Two of my friends have these tents and the speed with which they can break camp makes me reconsider my current tent. Both friends have these mounted to 100 series Landcruisers. This tent easily sleeps one child and two parents comfortably.

Bush Company Alpha is a huge tent. Another buddy of mine bought this tent because he needed the extra space ( he is 6’6”). Downside is the weight, height of the shell when closed. Once set up with all the wings deployed I doubt any rain would enter the tent. This tent is mounted to an 80 series. Added a picture of his truck with tent below.

My tent, Autohome Airtop, has well over 100 nights in all kinds of weather from the Arizona desert to the cold of Prudhoe Bay . Weight is comparable to what the Terrapod weighs and while thicker it allows me to store all of my bedding and pillows inside. Coldest nights camped was single digits and hottest triple digits. While I love my tent, it does take more time to break camp and it is a small two person size.
View attachment 2734430
If I was choosing a new tent I am currently thinking the Terrapod most closely fits my needs. Being able to choose a mattress, thin design, weight and the new roof mounting rails for adding a solar panel or carry other items tips this in its favor.
This is exactly the type of feedback I’ve been looking for. Thank you!! So far it sounds like Alucab and Terrapod are what I’m looking for. Terrapods just aren’t available. But I’m interested in reading a review.

This is exactly the type of feedback I’ve been looking for. Thank you!! So far it sounds like Alucab and Terrapod are what I’m looking for. Terrapods just aren’t available. But I’m interested in reading a review.
@8cam can you provide any input on the Terrapod since you have had one the longest?

@8cam can you provide any input on the Terrapod since you have had one the longest?
Yes I have prototype #2 and it’s the oldest Terrapod tent out there since #1 was dismantled. I’ve got well over 50 nights in it (didn’t get out much last year) and the build quality is exceptional. Zero issues, still as solid as the day I picked it up. Multiple cross country drives and lots of obstacles climbed, and still great. Weight is under 120 pounds and I can stand on it (see above). Just nothing else out there like it. I use Nemo air mattresses, easy to set up and comfortable. I can leave the mattresses and sleeping bag in there but have to deflate the mattresses. Works just fine for me. Biggest thing is with the low profile I can still get in my garage, and that’s with a 3” lift and 35s. Sleeps two people comfortably with plenty of room. Very happy with it, highly recommended.

D79B8879-93F4-49AB-A558-2BB91D2262CD.jpeg

A2DF071B-B08D-4C1A-AD5C-252D02CD978A.jpeg

if weight is a concern look at the Go Faster Campers superlite... Superlite Roof Top Tent - https://gofastcampers.com/pages/superlite
Not a consideration for me

Yes I have prototype #2 and it’s the oldest Terrapod tent out there since #1 was dismantled. I’ve got well over 50 nights in it (didn’t get out much last year) and the build quality is exceptional. Zero issues, still as solid as the day I picked it up. Multiple cross country drives and lots of obstacles climbed, and still great. Weight is under 120 pounds and I can stand on it (see above). Just nothing else out there like it. I use Nemo air mattresses, easy to set up and comfortable. I can leave the mattresses and sleeping bag in there but have to deflate the mattresses. Works just fine for me. Biggest thing is with the low profile I can still get in my garage, and that’s with a 3” lift and 35s. Sleeps two people comfortably with plenty of room. Very happy with it, highly recommended.

View attachment 2736054
View attachment 2736055
How is it in wind, rain, cold temps? Doesn’t look like there’s much insulation since it’s so thin.

Not a consideration for me

How is it in wind, rain, cold temps? Doesn’t look like there’s much insulation since it’s so thin.
Actually the R value of the composite panels is pretty good and it would be easy enough to line them if you wanted. That said, I’ve spent several nights below freezing with no issues. A good bag and it’s fine.

Wind and rain? Our very first night was a monsoon with high winds and machine gun hail. No leaks and no damage at all. Even the rain fly was perfectly intact and in place. Been in several storms since and it’s totally dry and comfortable inside.

One thing I like about the composite panels, they are translucent. So in the morning you get some light in there almost like a skylight. I enjoy that. If you don’t, again would be easy to line it with something.

One thing that is different I'm not sure people realize, the panels on the Terrapod are not thin fiberglass. They are a honeycomb composite that is about an inch thick and very strong, which is why they insulate well and you can stand on them (I'm 200-ish pounds) and the frame is all rectangular aluminum tubing (not open section). All of that contributes to both the light weight and the strength.

One thing that is different I'm not sure people realize, the panels on the Terrapod are not thin fiberglass. They are a honeycomb composite that is about an inch thick and very strong, which is why they insulate well and you can stand on them (I'm 200-ish pounds) and the frame is all rectangular aluminum tubing (not open section). All of that contributes to both the light weight and the strength.
8cam, how is your tent mounted? I believe you have to drill into the tent to mount directly onto the gutter mounts.

8cam, how is your tent mounted? I believe you have to drill into the tent to mount directly onto the gutter mounts.
@JJBiggs set me up with some sleeved holes in my tent and then it's directly bolted to the Trail Tailor mounts. I know the production tents are set up differently, but you might be able to ask him about something custom.

not that it makes much difference since you seem between Terra and Alucab but the Bush Alpha weighs in at about 200lbs without ladder, not 275.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom