New Cruiser Guy in Billings (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys!

I know, I'm not local to Bozeman like the majority of you, but I'm just down the road. I've chatted with a few of you before, but I figured I'd pop in and introduce myself. I'm Tom, and I'm in the process of restoring/building a 2003 100 Series I bought in December. It's got a bit of rust that I am busy sorting out, but I hope to have it ready to go for next season. Hopefully I'll be able to make it to a few 406 Cruisers meets after it's up and running again.

Truck is low miles, only 157k currently, and aside from the rust is in excellent condition. Mechanically it's probably as good as they get, and the interior is pretty much immaculate. Never been in an accident, barely even any door dings. Just needs the rust handled and she'll be good to go!

I want to see this RUST!!

Welcome to the group!

51082516732_a0eef5f721_b.jpg

51082439491_8e20f96c81_b.jpg

50997531604_7892b59e4f_b.jpg

I do have some more pictures of the body work, but I need to upload them. Probably do that tonight so you can witness the carnage.

Nice rust you got there. Looks like you need some wire wheels and POR-15. You'll be good to go!
As of now actually the truck is back on it's wheels. The frame got hit with about 12 wire wheels and four flap discs. We removed the crust, got down to bare metal, patched three or four spots, hit it with rust converter, and then five layers of regular Ace Hardware Stops Rust paint. A lot got replaced and everything got a ton of paint. I will be hitting a few places again with POR15 for extra peace of mind. I am going to use a little shadetree engineering to clean out the rust on the frame and put a few cans of Eastwood internal frame coating on it. We're also fixing most of the body issues to stop that from rusting and get it cleaned up. It's a project for sure, but I got it for a good deal and it's mechanically a creampuff.

Looking good.
Thanks man, it has definitely improved. Needs some body work and some bumpers now. I have the rear (Dobinsons) sitting on a pallet in the shop, but I've been holding off on the install because of the body work around the rear quarters that is needed. I have the front on order, but ARB is way behind on their bumpers, so who knows when I'll get mine.

Big plans for this girl!

That's a nice low mile cruiser! Mine has almost 200k more than yours and is still running strong.

That's a nice low mile cruiser! Mine has almost 200k more than yours and is still running strong.
Your rig was actually one of the big reasons for me buying a 100 Series. You do family trips in a heavily built 350k+ miler and it doesn't give you trouble. I'm hoping mine gives me similar service.

I just cleaned out the inside of the frame yesterday and had a good look at the state of it. One of my concerns was the structure at the rear and I'm no longer concerned really. I also did some body work and found out that while the pinch welds have a couple rust spots, the actual rockers are rustless, which is fantastic. I think we should be able to get the body work sorted out over the winter and we'll be set.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom