Magruder Trip: Run it or postpone? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've had a trip on the Magruder Corridor on my calendar since the spring. I had planned to be there the 23rd-25th, but I've been watching the wildfire maps and road closures in Idaho and Montana for the last few days and I'm starting to get nervous. I probably wouldn't have to worry much about dust or other traffic, but it would be a shame to not be able to see anything because of smoke. It'd be worse to get stuck somewhere because of fire activity.

Any thoughts or opinions? Anybody over that way want to chime in?
@rkymtnflyfisher

id pass on the whole thing. ive been told it isnt really woth it.. never done it but its a very long miserable gravel road with a ton of burnt trees.

id pass on the whole thing. ive been told it isnt really woth it.. never done it but its a very long miserable gravel road with a ton of burnt trees.
It looks like there's soon to be a ton more burnt trees.

I'm sure you've been on inciweb. I'd bet there's a fair bit of smoke coming from the nearby Dixie-Jumbo Fires.
We camped about 10 miles from the Robertson Draw fire earlier this Summer. Depending on the wind direction it was not-so-bad to pretty-smokey. Visibility was poor. Just hiking up Buck Ridge south of Big Sky this weekend, you couldn't see the surrounding mountains.
It's hard to back out of trips planned out so far ahead, but I think you're wise in reconsidering. Three day's in a hot dusty rig with no real awesome Montana views might be a memorable trip for the wrong reason.

I'm sure you've been on inciweb. I'd bet there's a fair bit of smoke coming from the nearby Dixie-Jumbo Fires.
We camped about 10 miles from the Robertson Draw fire earlier this Summer. Depending on the wind direction it was not-so-bad to pretty-smokey. Visibility was poor. Just hiking up Buck Ridge south of Big Sky this weekend, you couldn't see the surrounding mountains.
It's hard to back out of trips planned out so far ahead, but I think you're wise in reconsidering. Three day's in a hot dusty rig with no real awesome Montana views might be a memorable trip for the wrong reason.
Yeah, I was on insiweb this morning. It looks like there is fire nearly adjacent to the road.

I would postpone. Do a localish trail.

Magruder is the views and solitude/remoteness. It is not technical, it isn't challenging, it is miles and miles of views. For what it is... it is awesome and should be on your trail bucket list.

I would not want to miss the views, nor would I want to risk getting caught up in a close burning fire.

I'd postpone.

Visibility is down to like a mile in the Bitterroot valley right now with no relief in sight. There are a couple of big fires in SE Washington dumping smoke over the mountains right now.

That being said, I'll probably hunker down on Rock Creek if hoot owl restrictions aren't in place.

Sorry for the late reply, just got home from the Bob.

We're gonna postpone. With the lightning over the last couple nights the inciweb map is just filling up with fire icons. We should have gone earlier in the year but I needed more wrench time on the 40. We'll see if there's a fall weekend before it fills in with snow, or we'll just push this out another year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom