2021 Toyota 4Runner Help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Good evening gents. I sold my Ford F-350 and I’m looking at getting back into a 4Runner. I live in SE Florida and tow a 20’ flats boat. I do plan on at some going up north and doing some mild off-roading (may also tow my FJ40). I’m looking at the new Trail Edition, TRD Off-road w/ the XP package, or the Venture Edition. What would you guys go with and what options are worth while? Is KDDS worth it for my scenario? Appreciate any insight.

Cheers 🍻

Care to share your experience?

XP is not Toyota.

SE Toyota and Gulf States Toyota install crap at port and charge you an arm and a leg for it.

Last edited:
Ok. Is KDDS worth the extra change? I think it’s a couple thousand dollar option?

Ok. Is KDDS worth the extra change? I think it’s a couple thousand dollar option?
I think by itself it’s like $1600.

It makes it handle somewhat better on road. It also sort of acts like a swaybar disconnect off road.

Unless you plan on lifting it more than 3 inches, it’s a pretty good compromise.

I have it on my land cruiser and my 2013 TE.

I live in AL and see the XP package crap all over the place. It's pretty basic around here. You can get an SR5 or TRD-OR with the XP package and it's essentially TRD Pro black wheels, some stock size Nitto Ridge Grapplers or KO2's, blacked out badging and maybe some nfab step bars. It's pretty faux off-road looking. Don't get me started on the XSP package LOL.

If all you're doing is mild off-road trails and having lived in Ft. Lauderdale for 3 years I can say you're probably not gonna need a locker. If a mild build and mild trails are all you're looking for than the SR5 or Trail package is good enough. Keep in mind the Trail package is based off the SR5 so you will not get a rear locker or KDSS. I don't hate the Trail package though but I'd only get it if you got the special color, Army Green or Cement. If you're going to get the TRD-OR then I'd stick with just the the regular or premium trim from factory, do not get the XP, XSP, or Venture edition. Wasted money IMO. Find a dealer that only sells factory trims/options and not port added or dealer added options. Whatever the factory sticker says is what you get, no dealer added markup BS. Port and dealer added options are very common with Southeast Toyota so you may have to try and expand your search to find one that doesn't do that stuff.

I'm not sold on KDSS...and I drive 22k a year. I would do right out of the gate:

Airlift bags
Rear drawers
good brake controller
Replace battery with large AGM
Load E tires

Dont go for any upgrades...the price thy cost you could easily buy and do yourself

Thanks gents. I have decided to drive my FJ40 during cruising season since I’m only home for a couple days at a time. Looking around August to purchase the 4Runner.

2782B064-4876-4638-9459-0FEFA9800262.jpeg

Another data point: I had a 2016 Trail Premium with KDSS. Was totaled at 140k due to a deer strike. Ended up getting a TRD off road without KDSS and don’t miss it much. We take this truck all over, wheel it on VT class 4 dirt and everything in between. I was sold on KDSS and the tech is great but for me I wouldn’t get it again as I’d rather spend my 1700$ on other stuff. Hope this helps.

cheers, James

Thanks gents. I have decided to drive my FJ40 during cruising season since I’m only home for a couple days at a time. Looking around August to purchase the 4Runner.

View attachment 2565660
Huge mistake. 4 Runners cant be had right now. I am also in the market and I let a 2020 TRD Pro certified go and regret it. They were asking 40k and the truck had 20k miles. Same truck is now 55k bucks IF you can find one.

Huge mistake. 4 Runners cant be had right now. I am also in the market and I let a 2020 TRD Pro certified go and regret it. They were asking 40k and the truck had 20k miles. Same truck is now 55k bucks IF you can find one.
From my experience and observations this depends on where one lives. The Cali dealerships seem to regard 4Runners as unicorns and price them as such. Out here on the east coast, I was able to order a 2021 TRD off road from my dealership exactly to my liking and got it 4K below list price. They had it ready to roll in 5 days from me placing the order.

From my experience and observations this depends on where one lives. The Cali dealerships seem to regard 4Runners as unicorns and price them as such. Out here on the east coast, I was able to order a 2021 TRD off road from my dealership exactly to my liking and got it 4K below list price. They had it ready to roll in 5 days from me placing the order.
When? I'm in KY not commiefornia.

I work for Toyota and can get a 4Runner at cost. It’s just a matter how long it would take to get. I may also look at importing something instead of something new.

I work for Toyota and can get a 4Runner at cost. It’s just a matter how long it would take to get. I may also look at importing something instead of something new.
What exactly is "cost"? I bet there is about 3 people in the whole company that actually know. The term itself is tossed around by salesman at all dealerships in every galaxy in the universe.

Meaning the company I work for is a Toyota Distributor so yes I get vehicles at cost. Cheaper then dealers can get a vehicle.

Meaning the company I work for is a Toyota Distributor so yes I get vehicles at cost. Cheaper then dealers can get a vehicle.
Exactly, your cost is different than dealer cost which is different than my cost which is different than "cost" cost. It's just a term. Whatever you pay is the real cost.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom