FJ62 LS Swap (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Ouch, that poor converter. In the future you should never remove an auto while leaving the converter attached to the engine, that’s the easiest way to roach it.
Good point. Sometimes you think “in hindsight maybe I should have…”
This transmission was the failure point, so we had sort of written it off already. Definitely best to not create a bad habit though.

Engine is out. Man it’s a big engine
DA2463B9-3176-4AC2-A0B7-1DBD2278F315.jpeg

D50DCB24-82A2-4C62-BDAB-C8390C751B73.jpeg

Good luck! I have the same setup on my 1988, 5.3 and 4L60E. It is night and day in the "driveability" department. you will save some nice weight in the front end, as that engine is significantly lighter than the 3FE.

Are you interested in selling the 3FE?

I am in Nashville, holler if you need anything!

Good luck! I have the same setup on my 1988, 5.3 and 4L60E. It is night and day in the "driveability" department. you will save some nice weight in the front end, as that engine is significantly lighter than the 3FE.

Are you interested in selling the 3FE?

I am in Nashville, holler if you need anything!
Thanks!

I haven’t decided what I’m going to do with the engine. The unrealistic wishful thinker in me would like to put it into the 55 that I don’t have. This 55 (that is in need of an engine but otherwise in decent shape) exists in my mind but probably not anywhere else. So I will probably end up selling it.

Thanks!

I haven’t decided what I’m going to do with the engine. The unrealistic wishful thinker in me would like to put it into the 55 that I don’t have. This 55 (that is in need of an engine but otherwise in decent shape) exists in my mind but probably not anywhere else. So I will probably end up selling it.

I sold my 3FE and now regret it, since I now have a non-running 40 project in the driveway. If the 1F doesn’t have good compression, I may be looking for a motor…

PM me if you decide to sell it

Good luck on your swap!

I have to admit, my anxiety level was a little high after we pulled the engine but it was even higher when we cut the Toyota engine mounts. No turning back.
B6AE4C25-E6AE-4C59-837D-6ED35D258FB9.jpeg

0DE95CC8-7456-4786-AA25-C0AB5DB8EF17.jpeg

At some point along the way, there must’ve been a battery leak that caused significant corrosion on the passenger inner fender well. I wish I had taken before pictures but here is a picture of the battery tray that was cobbled together to replace the stock tray.
288DFDF7-B8B4-4E37-A910-6EE58F7EA320.jpeg

After the POR15 dried (and after very lightly scuffing the surface), I dusted it with a little Duplicolor paint.
0AC11CA9-1D3F-447B-BAA8-BA161A2872CE.jpeg

We reused the dowel pins out of the Toyota transmission. One of them came out easily. The other one was a fight. We didn’t have a puller, so it kind got boogered up a little.
5E234319-A7CF-43F6-AC42-59A65EBFD1D9.jpeg

Good call on using the dowels. If you call AA they say you don’t need them of course.. but why’d they drill the holes for them :rolleyes:
I’m surprised you were able to get the Toyota dowels out, they are always IN THERE on all the drivetrain stuff.

Good call on using the dowels. If you call AA they say you don’t need them of course.. but why’d they drill the holes for them :rolleyes:
I’m surprised you were able to get the Toyota dowels out, they are always IN THERE on all the drivetrain stuff.
They were soft enough to get a bite on them with channel locks. One of them spun out pretty easily. We had to use a small pry bar to put outward pressure on the other as we spun it. It eventually came out. We tried to clean it up with a file as best we could. Stuck that end into the adapter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom