Door Opening/B Pillar Differences early to late model? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

EWheeler

4 Cruisers, No Garage !
GOLD Star
Threads
I have an opportunity to get some tub pieces from a member doing an aqualu tub swap. His tub is from an '78 model with flat floor and my tub is a 12/79 with the raised floor for underfloor fuel tank. My passenger b-pillar and door opening lip is hammered from a likely roll-over event that happened sometime in my rigs past life. I understand the inner and outer rocker pieces are different, but could I use the upper B-pillar and door lip from his '78 to repair my rig? Here are some photos of the damage to my passenger b-pillar and door opening. The replacement rockers for the late model rigs don't go up high enough tor replace the damage on the door opening lip.

FJ40-707.JPG

FJ40-749.JPG

I would cut that out repair and strengthen behind it and put some 16-14 ga flat steel over it and make your own panel for that area.
The issue is not the big tear in the metal, its the buggered up door lip and b-pillar. I agree that the flat sheet metal repair is simple.

find someone with a metal brake and a english wheel and make that part too.
It also looks like the door jam area could be cleaned and built back up with a bead weld and ground to match.

I'm not positive but I believe the lowers are the same. Do you have the later "thicker" doors.

I'm not positive but I believe the lowers are the same. Do you have the later "thicker" doors.

Yes, I have the later doors. I am just curious if there was any change to the door opening shape and B pillar compared to the earlier flat floored tubs. Now that I am thinking this through, his '78 came with the same later style doors as my '79. So, I'm thinking door opening shape should be identical.

find someone with a metal brake and a english wheel and make that part too.
It also looks like the door jam area could be cleaned and built back up with a bead weld and ground to match.
yes, the door jamb area is hammered and needs replaced. That is really the metal that I am after. Easier to just cut out from a good b-pillar and replace my bad metal than have something new made.

So you are looking for this piece?

20210521_140307.jpg
20210521_140208.jpg

Last edited:
Last edited:
Troa makes them. I think they run 150-180 ish for a set.

That is one from a set I got from them for test fitting. Pretty good quality, striker adjustment holes are a little smaller than oem, but the tail goes down further than oem which looks like what you need.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom