SOLD 79 or later FJ40 knuckles for a disc brake swap - Houston TX (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I would double check you have a birfield axle before proceding. it should be but it has caught others by surprise.

I would agree, you might (most likely) have ball axles in a 69. you would be better off looking for a 78+ front axle and swapping it in. has disks already. option B is a disk brake swap using Chevy calipers and rotors, new MC and booster.

poser sells a full kit front and rear:
Rear Disc Brakes... - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/rear-disc-brakes.152126/

JT outfitters, a bunch of others. Runs about 800$ front, 5-600 rear.

What part of the country are you in?

I would agree, you might (most likely) have ball axles in a 69. you would be better off looking for a 78+ front axle and swapping it in. has disks already. option B is a disk brake swap using Chevy calipers and rotors, new MC and booster.

poser sells a full kit front and rear:
Rear Disc Brakes... - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/rear-disc-brakes.152126/

JT outfitters, a bunch of others. Runs about 800$ front, 5-600 rear.
Good call on that SlapSmak/3_puppies. A lot of what I've read says ball/claw axles were 68 and ealier, so I felt like I was in the clear. Talked to a couple of cruiser places as well (George @ Cruiser Bros, Advanced Adapters etc.) and they seemed to think the same if I remember correctly. However, I really need to fully disassemble and verify. I took off the locking hub and saw these splines and thought that meant I was in the clear and had birfields. I've realized thats probably just the spindle splines though now that I've studied the knuckle exploded view for so long! I attached a picture of my 40 for reference as well in case that helps with identification.

Regarding the Chevy brake route: I'm doing the poser kit on the rear, but I'd like to stick with toyota up front and upgrade to the later model larger stud knuckles (79+ FJ40 or maybe even FJ60 knuckles) so I have the freedom to upgrade steering arms, TREs, tie rod and drag link. I have a Saginaw steering setup already installed.

61135674847__7BB7029E-33D9-4F2C-A65F-857BF330C3D1.jpg

IMG_1125.jpg

With those turn signals and marker lights, you are in the clear unless you have a foreign market rig.

If you’re interested, I have a couple of disc swap kits available. Priced between eastcoastrust.com and SOR.

www.marksoffroad.net

With those turn signals and marker lights, you are in the clear unless you have a foreign market rig.

If you’re interested, I have a couple of disc swap kits available. Priced between eastcoastrust.com and SOR.

www.marksoffroad.net
Sounds great. Definitely interested. Thanks for reaching out.

Looks like the end of a 6-spline ball&claw stub shaft.

Unless there's a 6-spline birfield out there.

Looks like the end of a 6-spline ball&claw stub shaft.

Unless there's a 6-spline birfield out there.
Man I see that now too now that you point it out. I'll pull the grease plug off and see if I can identify for sure.

I think drum brake birfields are 6 spline too.

I think drum brake birfields are 6 spline too.
Yeah, I wasn't certain about that. Best to look down the grease fill hole.

Best shots I could get through the grease port. Looks like birf axles to me not ball and claw.

F21162E5-7C55-454B-9CD3-15950CCDD828.jpeg

F39C5D43-0591-4BAF-8A5E-55CFD87726E2.jpeg

5629934C-79AE-49AD-94F5-3961A697300E.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom