Painting fj40 with bed liner (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

just playing devil's advocate, why would it be any different than regular paint assuming all the prep work/ primer/ sealer etc was the same?

The way a fj40 body is constructed bed liner will trap moisture and cause rust to progress a lot faster. Its a lot better to just use aerosol paint if you want a cheap coating.
Are you talking about the underside and the interior or the outside of the body? I see a lot of 40s with bed liner underneath. I was going to do that to mine as well.

The way a fj40 body is constructed bed liner will trap moisture and cause rust to progress a lot faster. Its a lot better to just use aerosol paint if you want a cheap coating.
I’ve never heard this before.

FWIW: I “bed lined” my 40 when I was a kid, in the early 90’s. It still has zero rust.

It’s your truck, do what you wish. But it’s next caretaker will have a real mess on their hands. If they want it at all.

It’s your truck, do what you wish. But it’s next caretaker will have a real mess on their hands. If they want it at all.
I’m disassembling a 1/79 FJ40 that the PO used what may have been bed liner or some kind of rubberized undercoating that has long since dried out. I think that’s why it might have rusted out so bad and now it’s a huge pita to take apart.

Hi all is any one here painted his fj40 with bed liner pls send photos
I will be coating my 69 FJ40 this spring after the overhaul. I will be using Raptor Liner. All the parts will be coated separately then reinstalled. All parts are going to be fully coated on both sides, including the underside of the tub and firewall. 20 years ago I undercoated the rear wheel wells with "Rocker Shutz" and I have zero rust in them. I live in Alaska with crappy winter weather and no rust. I feel the Raptor Liner will be even better than Rocker Shutz. I'll do a thread once its complete.

Welcome to Mud.

Did it to my first 40. It wasn't worth the money or time. The result was like all the other results from all the other cans and bottles that are available at the corner auto store, but not used by the OEM. Any soil or mess wasn't easy to clean up, and it didn't go on consistent, or look that good. Why detract attention from the amazing sheetmetal on a 40, or early Land Cruiser? Even if it is patched, and in need of help. I'd look into Lizardskin for insulation, sound and heat, but certainly not bedliner.

It sounds crazy, but, I just painted my Nissan pickup with primer. It looks awesome out of the can. No flashy micro glitter silver, or, color anymore - that is for the wheels (unless it has chrome hub caps like an early 40), bank-loan-financed auto sales, and makeup. Plus, no gloss sheen to screw-up on. Stay away from Rustoleum can primer, it is called grey, but comes out kinda purple. Ace brand is what I used, and it looks more of the olive-drab side of grey. Plus primer can be sanded to a smoothness, with a 600, and 1000 grit wet paper - which is great for an aerosol product, and it can be fixed with minimal effort. Stuck with grey because that is what is on my vehicle's title application, but color choice doesn't inspire me.

However, there is no shame in keeping the paint, rust, and bondo that your truck already wears - it is an old Land Cruiser, and people see beyond any shortcommings.

Just my opinion, but Bed liner never looks better to me. I get the durability, but prefer smooth look of regular paint. Patina preservation is always a good option if professional repaint is not an option.
Same!
I was just an ignorant kid when I did mine. Even though it is holding well, I would NOT bedline my tub today.

Same!
I was just an ignorant kid when I did mine. Even though it is holding well, I would NOT bedline my tub today.
The more I think about it, I think I’m not going bed line mine. I’ll just put on several really good coats of paint and let it weather and patina like original.

I will be using Raptor liner on mine, shortly, finishing metal prep on the frame and tub right now. I got my kit from TPTools.com. Living in mid-Michigan and using this as a daily driver truck once complete, this is a priority for me. I'll be using the black on the very bottom of the tub and color matched for the wheel wells and interior floor. ALL vehicles are spot welded together. In most of the US that sees snow in the winter, quality liners for truck beds and rocker panels are all but the norm... its your truck do as you wish and who gives a spit AT ALL what some future owner my think or care... That person isn't paying a dime for your truck....

@Dizzy i also did my mud truck a 75’ FJ40 in monstaliner.

6B789AA2-1939-43A2-98F5-74DBBB6DBE7C.jpeg

3899A0F4-8E99-4D72-B774-F6CE5FFE33AE.jpeg

05EF2634-2698-42EE-8F42-9ABF8EF06F06.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom