Wonder If removed ABS hurts the value of the FJZ80 Land Cruisers (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

yeah was just wondering since I removed the ABS system did it actually hurt the value of my 95
to the right person it will be one less thing they will have to do.i would not come off price just because of that,especially if everything works correctly 100% of the time.some people want plain jane stock some look for those mods already done.

Like fz1boxer said, it really depends on who is interested in buying your truck. Its value does go down (even if you have retained the parts because they will argue that they have to put in the time to reinstall it, and time is money) for those who want a stock truck. The value remains even for those who view its removal this as a benefit (they were going to do it and it's already done). Deleting ABS will not increase the value of the truck.

Last edited:
I am not a lawyer...

The financial downside here might seem initially to be resale value, but the larger issue might be liability when you start modifying brake systems by removing a safety feature. ABS wasn't mandated in the US until 2003, but a buyer would likely assume a standard factory feature to still be on the truck, unless you notify them otherwise. Not picking sides here at all, just something to consider.

That's a valid concern. I could certainly see an insurance company not providing coverage after a wreck if it found out that the ABS was deleted after the fact. Or, an insurance company charging more, or not offering coverage at all, if it were disclosed by the new owner that the ABS had been removed.

All very good points -- was my thinking also - dang wish now I wouldnt have done that

If you truck is modified in other ways ( lift bumpers larger tires and the like) I don't think it going to matter or hurt the value.
If bone stock besides that then yes. JMHO

All very good points -- was my thinking also - dang wish now I wouldnt have done that
Not all 80 even came with ABS, I wouldn't worry about the Insurance end of it..
Again JMHO

How much is a car that won’t stop worth? It’s a proven fact that as they age our brake systems suffer lesser and lesser performance and removing all that extra plumbing, thus simplifying the system, produces a firmer pedal that doesn’t sink to the floor before any appreciable stopping power is felt.

Build “your” 80 into what you will enjoy regardless of what some first time buyer who hasn’t a clue thinks your rig is worth. If you are an 80 flipper then removing anything factory was a mistake.

So does pulling the ABS fuse get you to the same place, functionally, as removing the system? At least its easily reversible.

So does pulling the ABS fuse get you to the same place, functionally, as removing the system? At least its easily reversible.
no

Worry about the insurance aspect. I’ve been down this road.
As one of the highly respected members on the board, for the good of all please elaborate.
Thanks

I once passed on a 94 model that appeared to have the ABS removed, but then it had other issues as well.

Edited to keep it tech

Last edited:
What if after reinstalling the system you don't sufficiently bleed it or kink one of the lines and the end result is the same? I hate "what ifs" because you can always keep going with it. Every day you wake up the world is against you. Don't sweat the petty and don't pet the sweaty.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom