DIY home security system - recommendation please! (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

alia176

SILVER Star
Threads
The home security market has few DIY systems like SimpliSafe, Cove, Wyze, Blue, Adobe, etc.

Let me know your experience with any of these systems please.

Thank you.

I remember reading a big article from Consumer Reports about those a few months ago and noting that there were some unexpected issues discussed. Maybe check that if you can?
I also read recently that some can be easily defeated with a dirt cheap portable emitter like a garage door opener. Probably worth checking too.
On the plus side, some insurance companies will give discounts if you have a monitored fire alarm system, maybe adding that could help pay for a suitable system ?

Never had an issue with Simplisafe and their response was always prompt. (False alarms)

Another SimpliSafe user. Have had them for about 7 years now. No complaints. Good customer service.
Wow, seven years 😳. I didn't realize they were around for that long.

I don't know if the ability to incorporate 3rd party hardware into your DIY security solution is something I should consider for the long run or not. Here's the review on the Abode unit by PC Mag, I linked on my 1st post:

There are loads of Abode and third-party components available for the iota. At $24.99, additional Mini door/window sensors are a bit more expensive than the SimpliSafe Home Security System sensors ($14.99), but still much cheaper than the Vivint Smart Home sensors ($50).

Other sensors can be a bit pricey: An Abode water leak sensor goes for $49.99 compared with Simplisafe’s $19.99 water leak sensor, and the Abode motion sensor will cost you $39.99 compared with SimpliSafe's $29.99 motion sensor. That said, other components including indoor and outdoor cameras, extra key fobs, and indoor and outdoor sirens are competitively priced, and there are dozens of third-party Z-Wave and Zigbee components that work with the system.

I'm not a huge fan of battery operated devices but I'm ok with indoor sensors. The outdoor cameras will be mounted hard to reach spots and they need to powered via wire, not batteries. I figure four cameras outside and the Abode unit has a built in camera for indoor monitoring.

I was recently watching this video:

My first question is the time/effort to set all of that up!

I started to watch that video then said, no way am I going to ever have a smart home. I'm just not wired that way, must be the old age thing :rolleyes:

My father in law turned me onto Wyze. At 80+, if he can navigate setup, pretty sure anyone can. I'm at least five years in and I don't think the unit cost $40. Still going.

My father in law turned me onto Wyze. At 80+, if he can navigate setup, pretty sure anyone can. I'm at least five years in and I don't think the unit cost $40. Still going.
That's good info, thank you for chiming in!

Forgot to ask, what accessories does your system have?

Forgot to ask, what accessories does your system have?
Mine is the Wyze Cam Pan. It looks like they now offer a subscription service but I don't know if my gen could even do it. Basically it has an SD memory card that loops and then the app on my phone. Really easy to navigate. Looks like they have a bunch of different options now - even one for outdoors. Mine has been outdoors and exposed to weather for probably 5-6 years and still works great - even though this one was not intended for outdoor use. Every once in a while it wants an update but that is easy, too.

For cameras I have some Arlos. Run away. Customer service is terrible and the cameras and other accessories are not very resilient.
excellent feedback, thank you sir!

For cameras I have some Arlos. Run away. Customer service is terrible and the cameras and other accessories are not very resilient.
Have them for free, If it was my money, I would be kicking myself. They are "ok" but really want a nice 4k hardwire....

I love the concept of hardwired power wire, at the very least. Running cat5 cable after the house is built is PITA

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom