Wheeling and Exploring in MT (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello all,

My wife and I are originally from the west (WA/ID border for me) and have been living in New England for 5 years. Both of us would like to move closer to "home" but the Coeur d'Alene area seems to have gotten crowded and expensive. This has peaked our interest in MT. We are hoping to plan a trip to visit western MT and see what it is like. One thing I would like to know is what 4 wheeling and exploring opportunities exist out there. From pictures, it seems like there are beautiful places to explore. But it also seems like they may be guarded to protect from overuse... is that the case? When I lived in Colorado, I know that books could be purchased showing trails and even local forest service personnel would tell you where you could explore. Out here in New Hampshire, trails are closely guarded and no one will share trail information with outsiders or those who don't belong to a local club.

Can you guys share your opinions and (if you're willing) some pointers to local trails in the western part of the state? Can you share your impressions of the SW part versus the NW part of the state as well? If this isn't appropriate to ask on the forum, just let me know.

Thanks ,

Justin

There's a book available at a lot of gas stations around here or I think he sells it on the internet.

Willie is a super chill old dude with a JoOp. He's been everywhere and that's where I've found most of my secret spots. Word to the wise, the trails in the book escalate quickly.

In my opinion Bozeman/Gallatin valley is prime location but this is quickly becoming a very popular opinion.

I remember when Willy Worthy used to write for 4 wheeler magazine back in the 1980's then he moved to the Missoula area and was able to do his job remotely, maybe in 1990?
I met him years ago and talked about some of his old tech articles and he remembered them like he just wrote them.

Most any larger area in MT is growing fast, there will be issues with any of the larger markets in the next decade with lack of resources.
Smaller areas would still be good, just depends on what you are looking for.

Thanks for the replies and info, guys. I am hoping to be more remote... but not too remote for the wife. She can handle 30 minutes to the grocery store but not much more. I'm hoping for a mountain type setting. I know priced are crazy out there... hoping to find that sweet spot. I am going to buy that book and keep researching. Sounds like both of you suggest the southwest side of the state... is that right?

northwest outside Libby will have some remote areas.

Ordered the Montana 4x4 book. About 15 minutes after I ordered, got an email from them asking how I heard about the book. Since I'm in New Hampshire, they were curious about how I got interest in MT and the book itself. The reach-out was pretty cool and made for a fun experience with a small business out there. Thanks for the suggestion. Also, thank again for your input and sharing your thoughts on MT in general. I'll continue to research and might bump this thread up with more questions as I learn more.

There's a book available at a lot of gas stations around here or I think he sells it on the internet.

Willie is a super chill old dude with a JoOp. He's been everywhere and that's where I've found most of my secret spots. Word to the wise, the trails in the book escalate quickly.

In my opinion Bozeman/Gallatin valley is prime location but this is quickly becoming a very popular opinion.

Just got the book in the mail. This looks like a treasure trove of information. Thanks for the lead.

Just got the book in the mail. This looks like a treasure trove of information. Thanks for the lead.

there are 2 maybe 3 total of different sections of the state that he has documented.

there are 2 maybe 3 total of different sections of the state that he has documented.
Yes, my apologies! I got the western Montana book. I see he has southwestern and south central books as well. Focusing on the west as a possibility for now. I haven't dug into the details but the book seems like it will give me a sense of what the backcountry Iike out there.

I'm not sure how much overlap there will be with the book, but there's a lot of mapped featured trails all over the state on onXoffroad that i have mapped, and a couple other people that have been part of the club have submitted. (disclaimer, I do work at onX, but I also use it heavily so I'm not just shilling on the internet)

Also, you own every car that I dream of and I can't tell you how jealous I am of your evo. Been (sadly) watching the prices skyrocket on them over the last few months :rofl:

I'm not sure how much overlap there will be with the book, but there's a lot of mapped featured trails all over the state on onXoffroad that i have mapped, and a couple other people that have been part of the club have submitted. (disclaimer, I do work at onX, but I also use it heavily so I'm not just shilling on the internet)

Also, you own every car that I dream of and I can't tell you how jealous I am of your evo. Been (sadly) watching the prices skyrocket on them over the last few months :rofl:
I'll have to check out onXoffroad! Yeah, every once in a while, I think about selling the Evo since I only drive it a few miles a year anymore. Then I realize that I will never be able to get another clean one and gang onto it.

Ok, update time. I got approval from my work to go full remote and my wife is onboard. We are putting our house on the market and targeting the greater Kalispell area. Do any of you guys live out that way? Is there any exploring to be done out there? I was looking at a house online that is near forest service roads, west of Hungry Horse reservoir... have any of you guys been out that way?

Give me your opinions!

Thanks,

I'm from Whitefish, been at school in Bozeman but will be spending the summer in the Flathead Valley. Hit me up when you arrive, it would be great to meet up and do some exploring! There's not a lot of wheeling in NW MT, other than the Wild Bill trail, but there are lots of FS roads to explore. I haven't done a lot around Hungry Horse Res, mostly west of Kalispell and north of Whitefish. Tons of good hiking too, whether it be in Glacier Park, the Bob Marshall wilderness, Jewel Basin, etc.

Ok, update time. I got approval from my work to go full remote and my wife is onboard. We are putting our house on the market and targeting the greater Kalispell area. Do any of you guys live out that way? Is there any exploring to be done out there? I was looking at a house online that is near forest service roads, west of Hungry Horse reservoir... have any of you guys been out that way?

Give me your opinions!

Thanks,
I'm thinking the road around hungry horse reservoir gets gated off during the winter, and used as a snowmobile trail. I could be wrong, and I don't know exactly where they gate ot off at.

Depending where you are looking in that area.

The HH area gets crowded during the summer, well I guess the whole western part of the state gets crowded.

I'm planning a hunting trip east of hungry horse this fall. I'll give you some FS roads to scout out of you are interested.

I'm thinking the road around hungry horse reservoir gets gated off during the winter, and used as a snowmobile trail. I could be wrong, and I don't know exactly where they gate ot off at.

Depending where you are looking in that area.

The HH area gets crowded during the summer, well I guess the whole western part of the state gets crowded.
Certain roads close as early as 9/1 but most seem to be 11/30 unless the MVUM is out of date.

I'm planning a hunting trip east of hungry horse this fall. I'll give you some FS roads to scout out of you are interested.
Absolutely! I'd take any information you'd be willing to share.

Absolutely! I'd take any information you'd be willing to share.
Heres the spotted bear MVUM, which covers the limits of the driveable area adjacent to the backcountry area I will be trying to reach. https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/fseprd495962.pdf

I'm specifically interested in 568 that goes east from spotted bear campground and ranger station. Would love to know what the beaver creek campground looks like, where exactly the gate is shortly thereafter, general road conditions.

Would also be interested in 2826/549 south from spotted bear, similarly what sort of camping is available and road conditions.

Heres a link to all the MVUM's for Flathead for your info. Flathead National Forest - Maps & Publications - https://www.fs.usda.gov/main/flathead/maps-pubs#MVUM

Heres the spotted bear MVUM, which covers the limits of the driveable area adjacent to the backcountry area I will be trying to reach. https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/fseprd495962.pdf

I'm specifically interested in 568 that goes east from spotted bear campground and ranger station. Would love to know what the beaver creek campground looks like, where exactly the gate is shortly thereafter, general road conditions.

Would also be interested in 2826/549 south from spotted bear, similarly what sort of camping is available and road conditions.

Heres a link to all the MVUM's for Flathead for your info. Flathead National Forest - Maps & Publications - https://www.fs.usda.gov/main/flathead/maps-pubs#MVUM
Those MVUMs are interesting. I wish I could help you with 568 or beaver creek campground. (I've only visited the area once) The house we were eyeing was one map north, in the Hungry Horse MVUM. It seems like there are miles of FS roads near there. Have you explored out there at all?

I'm from Whitefish, been at school in Bozeman but will be spending the summer in the Flathead Valley. Hit me up when you arrive, it would be great to meet up and do some exploring! There's not a lot of wheeling in NW MT, other than the Wild Bill trail, but there are lots of FS roads to explore. I haven't done a lot around Hungry Horse Res, mostly west of Kalispell and north of Whitefish. Tons of good hiking too, whether it be in Glacier Park, the Bob Marshall wilderness, Jewel Basin, etc.
For some reason I missed your post the other day. If we can pull this move off, I will reach out for sure! Yeah, I'm not hearing of a lot of wheeling in the area. It would be wierd to move back west and actually have less wheeling than here in New England. But, it will be great to be back in an area the feels like home. If you don't mind, I'll shoot you a PM.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom