1970 FJ40 Differential Questions... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all, I've been reading the tech forum questions and answers for a few years now, ever since my father in law gave me his early 1970 FJ40 (manufactured Frbruary 1970). He bought is new in Colorado and used it as his daily until 1993. Then it mostly sat in his driveway in until 2008 when I got a hold if it. It's 100% stock with #'s matching. Everything is either on it or in a number of boxes that he has unloaded on me over the years.

Anyhow, needless to say many things need a bit of maintenance. I just replaced all 4 wheel bearings, the brake and clutch masters, all 8 wheel cylinders, and the brake shoes. After I installed the wheels, with the rig still on 4 jack stands, I started it up and put it in gear and noticed that only the right wheel spins which is standard for a non-posi dif. I put it in 4wd and noticed that the same goes for the front dif, is this normal when locked in 4wd? I stepped on the gas and the passenger side wheels spin while both drivers just sit there, a little spin in the rear but nothing in the front. Normal? I checked the tech forums but didn't see anything on this, I may have missed it.

Thanks.

Resized_20201213_160407.jpg

With open diffs the wheel(s) with the least traction will spin. One on the front and one in the rear.

Which wheel spins will depend greatly on friction each wheel has… including brake drag (of present).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom