Swap alternatives for under powered 2H HJ60 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi,

I have a 1984 HJ 60 with a non-turbo H2 engine with 5-speed. My general usage is small camping trips, and it is about 3 tons. I changed the gears with 4.11 and for the 33" tire. Injectors are new, the radiator is new, and every 5 km, I changed the oil, oil filter, and others bits and things.

My HJ60 is sloooooooow. I don't know why. On the highway on the flat, it barely reaches 100-110 km/h at 2300 rpm with EGT 400-450C. If there is a little bit of a hill, it slows to 80km/h, and EGT is starting to climb. When I climb a hill with 10% in 5km, EGT is skyrocketed to 600C at 80km/h at 4th. I cannot hold in there and dropping down to the 3rd and climbing the hill with 40-50km/h.

I am tired of this, and I am planning to swap the old 2H engine. I know many of you install a turbo to the 2H, but heat and other issues probably goest me after fitting the turbo.
Many engine swaps options exist like Cummins 6BT, 4BT, Isuzu 4BD1T, Mercedes OM606, or maybe another Toyota Engine. However, the decision process is making me nervous.

I need an engine, easy to swap, reliable, and powerful for long journeys. I know I have to build an adapter for the current transmission, and I have to figure out gauge and other things and convert the new engine to 24v.

Cummins 6BT is a beautiful engine. It is an I6 (and I like I6 engines), it has plenty of torque. However, it is heavy, and fitting it in the 60 is a task.
4BT or 4BD1T is a great engine, especially 4BD1T, which is a common engine and finds the parts easy. But I don't know how smooth and powerful it is. Then, there is OM606. It is I6 and an expensive engine. Finding parts can be challenging.

I need your opinions and helps.

Thanks in advance for everything.

Where abouts are you located?
Although the 12HT is expensive it is literally bolt in (can be done in a weekend). While other engines can be bought cheaper, they’ll be a lot more work/cost to get them running. And a 12HT with intercooler, exhaust and upgraded turbo will be substantially better and enjoyable to drive

Although the 12HT is expensive it is literally bolt in (can be done in a weekend). While other engines can be bought cheaper, they’ll be a lot more work/cost to get them running. And a 12HT with intercooler, exhaust and upgraded turbo will be substantially better and enjoyable to drive
Hi,

I have a 1984 HJ 60 with a non-turbo H2 engine with 5-speed. My general usage is small camping trips, and it is about 3 tons. I changed the gears with 4.11 and for the 33" tire. Injectors are new, the radiator is new, and every 5 km, I changed the oil, oil filter, and others bits and things.

My HJ60 is sloooooooow. I don't know why. On the highway on the flat, it barely reaches 100-110 km/h at 2300 rpm with EGT 400-450C. If there is a little bit of a hill, it slows to 80km/h, and EGT is starting to climb. When I climb a hill with 10% in 5km, EGT is skyrocketed to 600C at 80km/h at 4th. I cannot hold in there and dropping down to the 3rd and climbing the hill with 40-50km/h.

I am tired of this, and I am planning to swap the old 2H engine. I know many of you install a turbo to the 2H, but heat and other issues probably goest me after fitting the turbo.
Many engine swaps options exist like Cummins 6BT, 4BT, Isuzu 4BD1T, Mercedes OM606, or maybe another Toyota Engine. However, the decision process is making me nervous.

I need an engine, easy to swap, reliable, and powerful for long journeys. I know I have to build an adapter for the current transmission, and I have to figure out gauge and other things and convert the new engine to 24v.

Cummins 6BT is a beautiful engine. It is an I6 (and I like I6 engines), it has plenty of torque. However, it is heavy, and fitting it in the 60 is a task.
4BT or 4BD1T is a great engine, especially 4BD1T, which is a common engine and finds the parts easy. But I don't know how smooth and powerful it is. Then, there is OM606. It is I6 and an expensive engine. Finding parts can be challenging.

I need your opinions and helps.

Thanks in advance for everything.

Hello,
I’ve got a 60 with the 12ht. I know yours is non turbo but before you spend any money pulling out the engine, try putting smaller standard tyres back on. I’ve gone from 33s back to 31s and the difference is quite amazing. I’d look at borrowing some 27s or similar just to lower the gearing first. I’ve found the 33s aren’t quite right to keep the engine in an optimal rpm range.
Next step would be a turbo on the 2h. Something simple on a flipped exhaust manifold. In Australia I’d look at a second hand safari kit ect. Good luck
Regards Alex

I am from Turkey, and 12HT is an expensive solution even if I can find it. Also, finding the replacement parts for the future is also a challenging task.

Hello,
I’ve got a 60 with the 12ht. I know yours is non turbo but before you spend any money pulling out the engine, try putting smaller standard tyres back on. I’ve gone from 33s back to 31s and the difference is quite amazing. I’d look at borrowing some 27s or similar just to lower the gearing first. I’ve found the 33s aren’t quite right to keep the engine in an optimal rpm range.
Next step would be a turbo on the 2h. Something simple on a flipped exhaust manifold. In Australia I’d look at a second hand safari kit ect. Good luck
Regards Alex
Yeap, you are right about the 27s. However, I need clearance of 33s in the terrain that I travel. About the turbo installation, I am not sure about it. I have an excellent cooling system with a new radiator, a new water pump and so. However, 2H with turbo creates heat load on the head, and as you know, the 2H head is not a strong piece in the equation. If anything goes wrong, finding parts will be challenging for me.

What is readily available in Turkey?

Cummins?

1HDT/FT/FTE?

I agree a 12HT is your easiest swap. Its a good engine and can provide good power. Your 2H can also do this.

Cheers
4BDs are easy to find, cummins too. Maybe its only mine but i cannot understand why my 2H is sluggish.

and it is about 3 tons

Maybe its only mine but i cannot understand why my 2H is sluggish.

The 60 series weighs about 2300kg. 3000kgs is fully loaded in Australia. The 12HT used, in good condition is as rare as chicken teeth and so are the spare parts.
I would go with a 1HD T or 1HD FT. It depends on how much power you want and how much you want to spend. A good 1HZ would allow you to cruise at 120kph.
Its probably going to be cheaper and easier to buy a HDJ80.

The 60 series weighs about 2300kg. 3000kgs is fully loaded in Australia. The 12HT used, in good condition is as rare as chicken teeth and so are the spare parts.
I would go with a 1HD T or 1HD FT. It depends on how much power you want and how much you want to spend. A good 1HZ would allow you to cruise at 120kph.
Its probably going to be cheaper and easier to buy a HDJ80.
1HZ is an option. Thank you. My main issue is hills, not the cruising over 120 or a crazy amount of power that rips the tire off. I just want to cruise at a reasonable speed without compromising it in a hilly region and reliably do this. By the way, when I said hilly roads, every major highway in Turkey has huge mountain passes.

Today, I will visit my mechanic and will try to find a decent 1HD-FT. But, this will be a challenge. If I can find a decent 1HD-FT with a transmission and a transfer case, it will be magnificent for me. Without an adapter, I can replace it with minor modifications. Still, I need to mass around with the electrical issues and gauges.

Have you had the fuel pump or engine compression tested?

If you got a 1HD T , it would be simpler.
Yes, i have checked the compression and fuel pump timing. Additionally, i have checked the fuel line for cracks and replaced the diaphragm of the fuel pump and clean the little hidden fuel filter on the fuel pump. As Onur said, it is just an old and under powered engine.

Yesterday, I have found OM606 and 4BD1T but, haven’t found any Toyota engine except 1HZ over 500K km. It was not in a good shape.

I think, I can use the current sensors of HJ60 on 4BD1T and as a bonus it came with a belt driven air compressor and A/C. Ohh gosh having an A/C is a good dream 🤤. Also, OM606 has too. It is compact and high rep good power output and light. However, it is 12V and rewiring for gauges is a challenge.

Forum Newbie here. Came to the forum to ask another question and saw this topic. I have an 82ish HJ60 with the 2H with an aftermarket turbo.

One thing that hasn't been answered here is: Have you checked the exhaust system? Many people concentrate on getting air INTO the motor and completely forget that is also has to GET OUT! This is especially so on these motors. I specially built a 3" free flowing system that is both quiet and minimal restriction.

FYI, I fitted the turbo about 150,000kms ago (12 years) and it is still going fine. The engine has not really missed a beat, but I look after it.

I don't have an EGT, instead rely on feel and what I'm doing...ie towing? Empty? Headwind? Slope blah blah.

What I DO have is other gauges, the main 2 I use are boost pressure and oil temp. Also, I am well in tune with the motor and listen for the fan spooling up and down. Add in the monitoring of boost and oil temp and I have a good feel for what stress is on the engine. For constant highway use I can settle into about 5psi boost without stressing things too much. This equates to fairly easy 100km/h speed but of course this varies with other factors. I have actually found that there is a sweet spot with this turbo just on 2500rpm. There is a noticeable improvement in general performance on hitting that.

If towing my 1500kg special van, the cruising speed for abiding by most of the above is 85-90km/h. But if I see a hill coming I'll crank things up a bit and try to arrive at the start of the climb at the sweet spot already in 4th. I probably should also say I have a later model 5 speed box in my girl.

I'm not saying she's a rocket, she isn't. But the improvement in performance from standard was remarkable and for what I use her for, is more than adequate. The one thing I love about my old girl is that I can fix everything anywhere. Well...I guess that's a fib if there's a major electircal fault like alternator knocked off block by conrod! But you get the idea. Old fashioned means old fashioned fixing. I too have contemplated fitting a better motor, but economics and this factor keep me staying with what I know and am mostly happy with. I also don't mind going down tracks with overhanging branches etc....that I would hate doing to something new and wizzy!

cheers, Honka

PS and why "Honka". I don't have a vacuum pump on my alternator. I have an electrically driven system that runs on demand. Sounds a bit like an old-fashioned "Honk" doing the short runs it does to bring vac back down.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom