Battery size for 5.3 swap in fj62 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey mud!

I have asked a lot of questions lately, and this one pertains to the battery size I need for my new setup. The optima that is in the rig now is 5 years old and not holding charge (no surprise there).

What size battery do I need to get for my 1988 that has a 5.3 LS motor in it? I was thinking of getting a battery that would work for a 2003 Tahoe, since that is the year/model that the engine is ou out of. Advance auto parts said a group 78 would fit a Tahoe with that engine.

My first instinct is to get the biggest damn battery that will fit the tray, but that is just knee-jerk logic.

Anyone?

thanks, happy 4th of July!

Joel

So bigger is better then? The size I have now is 34/78

I use a FJ60 factory replacement Interstate battery (from Costco) with my 5.3 swap. Zero issues. Group Size 27, 810 CCA, Item # 1130806 has the terminals in the correct (at least for FJ60) orientation.

A medium sized AGM battery will make that engine jump to life when starting. A medium sized AGM will outperform a giant wet lead acid for starting duties - especially in cold weather.
There isn't a need to get a giant AGM battery- way overkill for starting.

A palm sized lithium ion jump start battery (normally used for emergencies) can start that engine fine.

So bigger is better then? The size I have now is 34/78
Upgrade to the 27 series

you can even get the “marine” battery with 750-800 cold cranking amps for around 100$ at oriellys right now

even the high end batteries big name brands were only putting out 800 cca so cheap bang for your buck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom