Help with part for 2.4cc TD Surf...fuel injector related (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Long story short...have a 1991 Toyota Hilux Surf with a 2.4cc Turbo Diesel in it.

Cracked a 1st gen head at 55,000 miles and ended up buying 2nd gen head with lifters, springs, cam, water pump, timing belt, thermostat, and all associated gaskets. Brought it to the ONLY mechanic that would even attempt such a job (I'm here in the United States...and this is a rare vehicle). Everything went well except one thing:

When the injectors were removed there was a small carbon type o-ring at the base of the injector (near the seat) that fell out. I ordered an injector washer and seal kit (1st picture) and it came with 3 pairs of parts...none of which where the problem part. I say carbon o-ring because it was SUPER brittle and broke apart with little contact. The mechanics looked at some diagrams and pointed to a part and said "That is what we need right there"---111006b in the 2nd pictures diagram (part #11165-54030). It was a combustion chamber shim. As soon as it arrived I immediately realized it was WAY too big and thin (36mm or ~1.41 inches).

My question is: What would this part be and where would I find it? Would they come with a set of new injectors or even a set of combustion chamber sub-assemblies? (11106 in 2nd picture).

Help is much appreciated...this vehicle has been sitting in the shop for about 3 months and this is the only thing keeping it down :(

wash seal.jpg

fuel injector.png

This part 11165-54030 is used across an enormous range of engines and models. How big does the shim need to be to fit your head?
Only the L engine use a different shim, from 2L onwards they are all 11165-54030 that I can see.

The shim only needs to be about .4 inches...the one I got I ordered from euro4x4parts and it was about an inch too big. That and it was super thin----needs to be more like an o-ring.

How about some pics?

The shim only needs to be about .4 inches...the one I got I ordered from euro4x4parts and it was about an inch too big. That and it was super thin----needs to be more like an o-ring.
Its a metric engine. Get a cheap micrometer and give sizes in mm noting inside and outside diameters.

Its a metric engine. Get a cheap micrometer and give sizes in mm noting inside and outside diameters.
Hard to tell unfortunately, the parts are at my mechanics shop and they all broke apart because they were so brittle. I know I have an 11mm OD o-ring and it was a couple of mm too small. Quick guess would be about 14mm in size. Wish I could get a more accurate sizing, mechanics threw them away.

11165-54030 is the precombustion chamber shim from what I can see. Flick me a PM @tahrinasman I might be able to help with what you're after

"Seat , injection nozzle" or "gasket, injection nozzle seat" Owner of post stated it was like a carbon o ring and brittle

I noticed that there is about 4 different versions of the 11176, all of which are made of metal/copper----kind of like the set of seals/washers that I ordered in the first picture. However, they are all shaped different from each other. That is why I was wondering if it would be better to just order new sets of injectors or the combustion chamber assemblies...that is, if they include that mysterious part I'm looking for.

Last edited:
That is why I was wondering if it would be better to just order new sets of injectors or the combustion chamber assemblies...that is, if they include that mysterious part I'm looking for.

That's like buying a cylinder head hoping you will get the head gasket with it. The parts you need are only a few bucks a new set of injectors will be a few hundred.
Have you tried a Denso dealer in your area?

That's like buying a cylinder head hoping you will get the head gasket with it. The parts you need are only a few bucks a new set of injectors will be a few hundred.
Have you tried a Denso dealer in your area?
True, however, if you can't identify the part...you can't buy it. I have tried quite a few dealers near me, but they order me the wrong parts about 75% of the time. They aren't used to dealing with imports. They identify my cruiser as an 1993 FZJ80 with a 4.5L when it is actually a 1992 FJ80 with a 4.0L. They multiple dealers have even argued with me that it doesn't have disc brakes in the rear...which it does. Wrong belts, alternator, power steering, brake pads...TONS of stuff wrong.

As I said, try a Denso dealer. The fuel injection system is their design, including the injectors. Or ask a diesel fuel injection shop.
Rebuilt injectors come assembled, with all the little bits.

As I said, try a Denso dealer. The fuel injection system is their design, including the injectors. Or ask a diesel fuel injection shop.
Rebuilt injectors come assembled, with all the little bits.
Those were Denso dealers that I have been using...they keep messing things up and mis-identifying my parts. Other than the mechanic that I have working on it now...there were no shops that even knew how to work on it or even what a Surf was. Thank you guys for you time and information!

@tahrinasman , you're making this way way too complicated! Just order those injector seal parts from Partsouq, Amayama, Megazip, etc. It's super easy to get this sort of thing these days.

Your new cylinder head should come with the pre-combustion chambers already installed, so you don't need to worry about them. And the injector washers really don't require much thought - just buying the right part numbers is all.

I use Megazip and ToyoDIY to figure out part numbers, and just order what I need usually from Partsouq, and sometimes Amayama and Megazip. Sadly you can't rely on most north american Toyota dealers to know what they're doing and get you the right parts. Gotta do it yourself; but really it's not that hard.

I think some of the cruiser specific people like Cruiser outfitters can help you also.

I've replaced those same washers on my engine many times as I've done various work to it. The smallest aluminum crush washers that seal the nozzles are the most important and need to be replaced every time the injectors are removed. The other washers are re-usable as I've discovered (unless you damage them during dissassembly). Anyhow, they're all cheap, and can just be replaced to be safe.

@tahrinasman , you're making this way way too complicated! Just order those injector seal parts from Partsouq, Amayama, Megazip, etc. It's super easy to get this sort of thing these days.

Your new cylinder head should come with the pre-combustion chambers already installed, so you don't need to worry about them. And the injector washers really don't require much thought - just buying the right part numbers is all.

I use Megazip and ToyoDIY to figure out part numbers, and just order what I need usually from Partsouq, and sometimes Amayama and Megazip. Sadly you can't rely on most north american Toyota dealers to know what they're doing and get you the right parts. Gotta do it yourself; but really it's not that hard.

I think some of the cruiser specific people like Cruiser outfitters can help you also.

I've replaced those same washers on my engine many times as I've done various work to it. The smallest aluminum crush washers that seal the nozzles are the most important and need to be replaced every time the injectors are removed. The other washers are re-usable as I've discovered (unless you damage them during dissassembly). Anyhow, they're all cheap, and can just be replaced to be safe.
I ordered a seal and washer kit from (oddly enough) MegaZip. The mechanics said they were all the right parts for the injectors, but that one that I'm missing wasn't included. That's why I am on here trying to figure out what the heck part they are talking about. I'm going to check out the other two sites you listed and see what I can find out. And, yes, the American dealers don't know anything about my vehicle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom