Builds Extremely Unhurried BJ75 Build Diary (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Haven't done much to the Troopy lately except drive it. I mentioned somewhere above that I had sent the wheels out to be powder coated, but I don't think I posted before/after photos of how that went. For the record, here's the original split-rim wheels that it came with (in their original white paint):

original wheels.JPG

Obviously, room for improvement. Split rims are cool, I guess, in the sense that they're original equipment and all, but honestly, they're heavy, hard to balance, require innertubes, and not many tire shops will even touch them. So away they went. They were replaced with these OEM steel one-piece rims that were sourced from a 1988 Euro market BJ71 short wheelbase model. Same size, same vintage, and correct for a 70-series, just a lot easier to deal with since they're for use with modern, tubeless tires. I think they're better looking, too.

at moms.jpg

Due to their age, these wheels started showing some pitting in the paint and a little surface rust, which I thought too ugly for such a nice looking car. Here's the only photo I could find that shows the wheels in their "ugly" condition:

before Powder Coating.JPG

So I sent them off for powder coating. I think they turned out great. I even put the little hubcaps back on them:

after Powder Coating.jpg

after Powder Coating rear.jpg

About the same time I was having the wheels refinished, I installed some OEM Toyota recovery points that I had laying around. Here's what those look like:

rear.jpg
fronts.jpg
bolts.jpg

I couldn't find the original bolts, so I had to order some from my local Toyota dealer (which is why they look newer than anything else).

And, for no reason other than because I have them, a few totally random photos of the troopy:

road trip.jpg

At some hotel parking lot on some random road trip.

end of a bumpy road.jpg

At the end of a bumpy road in the Rocky Mountains.

Snowy Troopy.jpg

Caught out in the weather.

with BJ71.jpg

With a friend. I just thought it's a neat photo. The gray one is a 1988 BJ71, Left Hand Drive (European), 13B-T, cable locked differentials, suspension seats. It's in northern Colorado. Pretty sure the guy who owns it is planning to sell, but I haven't spoken with him for a while.

Haven't done much to the Troopy lately except drive it. I mentioned somewhere above that I had sent the wheels out to be powder coated, but I don't think I posted before/after photos of how that went. For the record, here's the original split-rim wheels that it came with (in their original white paint):

View attachment 2682307

Obviously, room for improvement. Split rims are cool, I guess, in the sense that they're original equipment and all, but honestly, they're heavy, hard to balance, require innertubes, and not many tire shops will even touch them. So away they went. They were replaced with these OEM steel one-piece rims that were sourced from a 1988 Euro market BJ71 short wheelbase model. Same size, same vintage, and correct for a 70-series, just a lot easier to deal with since they're for use with modern, tubeless tires. I think they're better looking, too.

View attachment 2682313

Due to their age, these wheels started showing some pitting in the paint and a little surface rust, which I thought too ugly for such a nice looking car. Here's the only photo I could find that shows the wheels in their "ugly" condition:

View attachment 2682315

So I sent them off for powder coating. I think they turned out great. I even put the little hubcaps back on them:

View attachment 2682316

View attachment 2682317
I have same white wheels and am looking into powder coating mine too. What colour (RAL code?) did you end up choosing? The powdercoat appears greyish instead of white like the first photo?

The first photo (in post #41, above) is of the split rim like the car had on it when I got it. Those wheels are just a generic white, not much different from the 045 code white on the car body. The second and third photos are of the BJ71 wheels that I switched to, and they are silver (maybe not easy to see in the photos). The part number for those wheels is 42601-60262-03, and I'm pretty sure you can still get them new from Toyota. The fourth and fifth photos are of the same wheels from photos 2 & 3, but after I had them powder coated. The powder coat color is GR1342, according to my receipt, and it's a little more gray-ish and a little less bright silver if compared to the original Toyota wheel paint color (i.e. not an exact match for original silver color).

Hope this helps.

The first photo (in post #41, above) is of the split rim like the car had on it when I got it. Those wheels are just a generic white, not much different from the 045 code white on the car body. The second and third photos are of the BJ71 wheels that I switched to, and they are silver (maybe not easy to see in the photos). The part number for those wheels is 42601-60262-03, and I'm pretty sure you can still get them new from Toyota. The fourth and fifth photos are of the same wheels from photos 2 & 3, but after I had them powder coated. The powder coat color is GR1342, according to my receipt, and it's a little more gray-ish and a little less bright silver if compared to the original Toyota wheel paint color (i.e. not an exact match for original silver color).

Hope this helps.
Thanks, really looking into getting them powder coated white. So I'll try to find a RAL match for the 045 White

Hey Steve, not sure how I missed this thread but have obviously found it.

Great looking truck that I’ve had the pleasure of seeing in person. You’ve done a nice job with bringing and keeping it to the original spec.

Beautiful....

are you in the Boulder area? if so have you seen the PZJ75 troopie that was there way back like early 2000?

Yup, I'm in Boulder--been here since the mid 1980's. I know of a few 70-series that are or have been around here, but I don't recall a PZJ75 specifically. I wonder what ever happened to it.

So...a couple of months ago I noticed that the clutch pedal seemed to be getting a little soft on the Troopy. I was assuming some air in the hydraulic line, so I flushed and refilled the fluid, and bled it. Well, of course, air doesn't just "get in" to a hydraulic line, and I discovered there was some minor leaking at the slave cylinder. I thought about rebuilding it, but the complete Aisin slave cylinder was available new from the nice people at Cruiser Outfitters (thanks, @cruiseroutfit ). While I was at it, I got a brand new Aisin master cylinder, too, since it was available and not terribly expensive. New master, new slave, new fluid. Should be good for another 34 years. :clap:

The new master in place:
master installed.jpg

New slave cylinder installed:
slave installed.jpg

And the old ones removed:
old ones.jpg

So...a couple of months ago I noticed that the clutch pedal seemed to be getting a little soft on the Troopy. I was assuming some air in the hydraulic line, so I flushed and refilled the fluid, and bled it. Well, of course, air doesn't just "get in" to a hydraulic line, and I discovered there was some minor leaking at the slave cylinder. I thought about rebuilding it, but the complete Aisin slave cylinder was available new from the nice people at Cruiser Outfitters (thanks, @cruiseroutfit ). While I was at it, I got a brand new Aisin master cylinder, too, since it was available and not terribly expensive. New master, new slave, new fluid. Should be good for another 34 years. :clap:

The new master in place:
View attachment 2688186

View attachment 2688194

View attachment 2688196
Vacuum assisted clutch! Must be nice.

The new master in place:
View attachment 2688186

View attachment 2688194

View attachment 2688196

Thank you!

About the same time I was having the wheels refinished, I installed some OEM Toyota recovery points that I had laying around.

Just so we're clear, those are *not* recovery points, they're tie-down points. I'd happily use them for a flat tow, but absolutely would not use them for any form of kinetic recovery.

So, what's next...?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom