Aluminum Front Bumper for 200 Series (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm based in CO and looking for an aluminum vs. steel bumper for my 2013 LC (just enough to support the winch, not planning on crazy approach angles and rock crawling).
I know there is Off-Road Armor and Accessories and Fabrication - Hefty Fabworks Inc. that fabricates aluminum bumpers for the the 4Runner & Tundra so wondering, did anyone here try an aluminum bumper for the Land Cruiser? Any solid products out there or do I need to work with a fabricator? Thx!

I can't remember which one it is, but either Dissent or Trail Tailor has an aluminum and aluminum hybrid option. If you just want a winch, several vendors (including Trail Tailor) sell hidden winch mounts that let you put a winch inside a stock bumper.

CBI also makes an aluminum front bumper.
When I reached out to them earlier this summer, they said steel only for now (that may have changed in the last month).

Check with TJM. They offered me aluminum when I bought my steel one about four years ago.

Oh thanks, I could not tell what was aluminum vs steel. So it looks like the steel is sandwiched in the structure so that is about as light as it can be. The picture was confusing since the attachments to the frame was the same color as all the other aluminum.

Yes 60 lbs is 1/2 to 1/3 of a steel bumper. If I recall the ‘alloy’ Tjm t15 was 125 lbs. alloy is the Australian word for aluminum.

Oh thanks, I could not tell what was aluminum vs steel. So it looks like the steel is sandwiched in the structure so that is about as light as it can be. The picture was confusing since the attachments to the frame was the same color as all the other aluminum.

The 2 pieces circled in yellow are steel. They are the main recovery points, and you got it right, they get sandwiched between the center and wings.
If you scroll up, you'll see the weights on the center and wing.

There's also 4 other small steel mounting brackets that lock everything together.

Yes 60 lbs is 1/2 to 1/3 of a steel bumper. If I recall the ‘alloy’ Tjm t15 was 125 lbs. alloy is the Australian word for aluminum.

i have a sneaky suspicion that you're borderline Canadian. Maybe you live extremely north Seattle? You're always using metric measurement and British words 😂

Bumping this thread as I'm wondering what the practical difference in a given bumper is with an animal strike. How much more protection in steel going to afford you?

in broad generalities - steel is flexible, aluminum isn't. When impacted up to their 'deformation point' they will be largely the same.
Beyond the deformation point:
The steel bumper will dent, deform, or bend, and maybe even rebound after impact to the same or similar shape.
The aluminum is likely to shear, crack, or break.

So you will likely after a major impact have to replace the aluminum piece. The steel you might be able to recover, or not, depending on how it deformed.

I'm not a metallurgist, but I did spend last night at home.

in broad generalities - steel is flexible, aluminum isn't. When impacted up to their 'deformation point' they will be largely the same.
Beyond the deformation point:
The steel bumper will dent, deform, or bend, and maybe even rebound after impact to the same or similar shape.
The aluminum is likely to shear, crack, or break.

So you will likely after a major impact have to replace the aluminum piece. The steel you might be able to recover, or not, depending on how it deformed.

I'm not a metallurgist, but I did spend last night at home.
I also stayed at my home last night. Great food, but the service staff could be better. I gave them lots of tips on how to do better, but just got dirty looks.

I agree with grinchy, aluminum can be very strong, but it does not give, With the lighter weight of many aluminum bumpers, I would expect them to break/give a bit easier than their heavy steel counterparts. I still think aluminum can be a good option to keep weight down.

I'm currently front bumperless, but only considering lightweight options (which are usually Aluminum with a steel sub frame).

Aluminum does gall with friction, but I don't mind a bit of grinder work, my tagging skills are already on point.

Thanks guys. I stayed at home last night and don't know sh*t, so maybe I need a new house and a bumper.

I'm based in CO and looking for an aluminum vs. steel bumper for my 2013 LC (just enough to support the winch, not planning on crazy approach angles and rock crawling).
I know there is Off-Road Armor and Accessories and Fabrication - Hefty Fabworks Inc. that fabricates aluminum bumpers for the the 4Runner & Tundra so wondering, did anyone here try an aluminum bumper for the Land Cruiser? Any solid products out there or do I need to work with a fabricator? Thx!

OP, mind sharing what you ended up going with?

The CBI aluminum option is $2300, and the current lead time is 3+ months.

crap....as usual Hefty doesn't make things for the Land Cruiser ...5 or 10 years ago I thought this would eventually pass and it is a little better but sure gets irritating not being able to buy so many things.

I'm going to call CBI and see if they will do several things for me.....

My Trail Tailor all-steel was about 125#. bit of a compromise between a 200# TJM and a 60# Dissent, I suppose. If I could do it over I'd do aluminum (especially if TT would build it). The winch, line, fog lights, etc add another ~60# as well... more if you use steel vs synthetic line.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom