Cross country drive...which vehicle do you take? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Again, per accident, or mile driven?
The stats are derived per million vehicles registered, which is intended to extrapolate overall safety per vehicle.

Unfortunately I have assisted crash victims many times and have seen the safety that large rigs provide (and small cars don't). There is danger driving vehicles of any size, but in the U.S., with the number of large and heavy vehicles on the road, small cars put you at a safety disadvantage.

RAV4… spend the saved fuel money on good food or nicer hotels!

I fully agree. We all know this forum is heavily bias.

I’ve had a at least 1 LC almost continuously since 1993 (didn’t have one 2011-2013) 70, 80, and the 200. No way I would own a 200 if I didn’t off road and tow a large camper. There a way better on road and off road vehicles out there then a 200. Pretty much only drive the LX anymore when towing or going to off road. Drive it very infrequently in the winter. Our Tesla 3, MB e class, and Subaru Legacy are all way better for long trips and on the road then the LX.
The only reason I own a LC is because I am off road a lot. Almost every day now just going thru a normal daily routine it's in 4L. And weekends and traveling its 4L with the Diffs locked. That's the only reason I own one. It's great. It does not break. I don't think it's any safer than any other SUV that size? A bull bar will absolutely save your rig from a squirrel, deer or elk impact at moderate speeds but not a high speed collision. Forget about a moose your dead.

But they are horrible on gas and I don't mind. I've had a V8 my entire life so it's not even a thought. And we only have 4x4 trucks. But where thinking about getting a Subaru for the warmer months for a more spirited drive.

To the OP. Life is a risk. If you and your wife are fully vaccinated I would just hop on a plane. This is just a thought. If you traveled to Africa there are a few vaccines you have to get before you go. So you get them. Now you are not worried about MMR, typhoid fever, yellow fever, hep A/B, rabies, anthrax, polio and more. If you knew your family could catch any of the above would you still go knowing that all of these illnesses are there and pose a risk? That's up to you. Florida still has Zika. We have ticks that if you get bitten it makes you allergic to meat. ( the horror! ) and Lyme's disease. I was living in NYC in the thick of it. The ambulances where insane. All day all night and those where people dying. I saw the temporary morgues. I lost 4 friends and 2 family members from/to that bug. So I am not one of those anti mask it's a hoax thing. The vaccine is the clutch that finally let me live my life like normal again. I am just as worried about Covid as I am about anything else I've been vaccinated against.

And God Bless your wife! Tell her thank you! Enjoy the drive no matter the vehicle or the flight. Safe journey's

The only reason I own a LC is because I am off road a lot. Almost every day now just going thru a normal daily routine it's in 4L. And weekends and traveling its 4L with the Diffs locked. That's the only reason I own one. It's great. It does not break. I don't think it's any safer than any other SUV that size? A bull bar will absolutely save your rig from a squirrel, deer or elk impact at moderate speeds but not a high speed collision. Forget about a moose your dead.

But they are horrible on gas and I don't mind. I've had a V8 my entire life so it's not even a thought. And we only have 4x4 trucks. But where thinking about getting a Subaru for the warmer months for a more spirited drive.

To the OP. Life is a risk. If you and your wife are fully vaccinated I would just hop on a plane. This is just a thought. If you traveled to Africa there are a few vaccines you have to get before you go. So you get them. Now you are not worried about MMR, typhoid fever, yellow fever, hep A/B, rabies, anthrax, polio and more. If you knew your family could catch any of the above would you still go knowing that all of these illnesses are there and pose a risk? That's up to you. Florida still has Zika. We have ticks that if you get bitten it makes you allergic to meat. ( the horror! ) and Lyme's disease. I was living in NYC in the thick of it. The ambulances where insane. All day all night and those where people dying. I saw the temporary morgues. I lost 4 friends and 2 family members from/to that bug. So I am not one of those anti mask it's a hoax thing. The vaccine is the clutch that finally let me live my life like normal again. I am just as worried about Covid as I am about anything else I've been vaccinated against.

And God Bless your wife! Tell her thank you! Enjoy the drive no matter the vehicle or the flight. Safe journey's
Thank you for your kind words. We would definitely be flying if our kids were vaccinated. The primary reason we're even driving to Chicago is so the grandparents can see their grandchildren. We're approaching two years since they have seen each other.

If it were winter, or we were pressed for space and desperate for comfort, or we were towing, the LC would be the clear choice. But the 45mpg with the hybrid RAV4 certainly seems like the winner after factoring in all the variables. Like I stated earlier, I just wanted to gauge the responses on the forum. Thank you all again for chiming in.

We originally were planning a drive to Fairbanks from central WA, but them dern Canadians aren't opening the border. Our choices were my 2019 4Runner or the wife's 2018 RAV4 (gas). Now it looks like we are going south to SoCal, then Tucson and Flagstaff, then the "Rez" in NM, and up to Denver. No question! We're taking the 4Runner=holds more luggage, snacks, beverages, etc. Also, we can sleep in it if we have to, in case of a breakdown, etc.

Have fun!

I have a 2019 RAV4 (non hybrid) and a 2019 lx570(previously a gx460). The rav 4 has never been beyond 100 miles of Austin. The gx has been to Yellowstone 3 times without a fuss, the Lx to Utah and now Atlanta. Just feel more secure in the gx and lx. Nothing against the RAV4 but the other 2 just feel better built and more secure on the highways. If mileage is not a concern ..LC it is!!

We originally were planning a drive to Fairbanks from central WA, but them dern Canadians aren't opening the border. Our choices were my 2019 4Runner or the wife's 2018 RAV4 (gas). Now it looks like we are going south to SoCal, then Tucson and Flagstaff, then the "Rez" in NM, and up to Denver. No question! We're taking the 4Runner=holds more luggage, snacks, beverages, etc. Also, we can sleep in it if we have to, in case of a breakdown, etc.

Have fun!
Canada is opening July 5 to fully vaccinated. We are planning a Whitehorse Mountain bike soon.

I've been very thankful to be in our Cruiser during the chaos of Dallas' traffic...

in heavy blinding rain at night in Missouri..

on I-10 in New Orleans knowing we could've been a target with our CO plates...

leaving Memphis airport at 9:30pm (if you've been there, you'll understand)...

in Fairplay, Colorado two weeks ago when another driver stopped to turn left across the highway, and the big fifth wheel behind him and in front me realized it almost too late...

on a two-lane twisty road in Arkansas where the locals enjoyed going faster than the speed limits and thought tailgating should be a national pastime...

on I-70 passing truckers in Kansas where the wind tends to blow trucks in the passing lane...

on a two-lane road in Mississippi, in a line of over 30 cars going 50mph, when an idiot passed all of us traveling over 80mph, and approaching a hill...

and being at Costco in Mobile, Alabama when wife wanted more food than we thought for our vacation on Dauphin Island.

Sell some of your AMC stock and take the Cruiser.

Last edited:
Canada is opening July 5 to fully vaccinated. We are planning a Whitehorse Mountain bike soon.
July 5 is a soft opening for fully vaccinated Canadians and permanent residents to re-enter Canada without quarantine, it does not apply to U.S. citizens. It looks like July 21 may be the earliest.

I've been very thankful to be in our Cruiser during the chaos of Dallas' traffic...
in heavy blinding rain at night in Missouri..
on I-10 in New Orleans knowing we could've been a target with our CO plates...
leaving Memphis airport at 9:30pm (if you've been there, you'll understand)...
in Fairplay, Colorado two weeks ago when another driver stopped to turn left across the highway, and the big fifth wheel behind him and in front me realized it almost too late...
on a two-lane twisty road in Arkansas where the locals enjoyed going faster than the speed limits and thought tailgating should be a national pastime...
on I-70 passing truckers in Kansas where the wind tends to blow trucks in the passing lane...
on a two-lane road in Mississippi, in a line of over 30 cars going 50mph, when an idiot passed all of us traveling over 80mph, and approaching a hill...
and being at Costco in Mobile, Alabama when wife wanted more food than we thought for our vacation on Dauphin Island.

Sell some of your AMC stock and take the Cruiser.
This guy gets it.

July 5 is a soft opening for fully vaccinated Canadians and permanent residents to re-enter Canada without quarantine, it does not apply to U.S. citizens. It looks like July 21 may be the earliest.
Dosnt say anything about that on their site.

I talked to their medical team last week they didn’t mention it was for Canadians only. They still make you file a quarantine plan but only will use it if You don’t in fact meet their vaccine requirements or become symptomatic and test positive.

Dosnt say anything about that on their site.

I talked to their medical team last week they didn’t mention it was for Canadians only. They still make you file a quarantine plan but only will use it if You don’t in fact meet their vaccine requirements or become symptomatic and test positive.
From your link:

Foreign nationals (including U.S. citizens) coming to Canada for non-essential reasons will be turned away at the border.

It's unfortunate, I take multiple trips to CA a year, for snowboarding, biking and hiking.

The 200 may be safer if there is an accident, but the RAV4 has better technology to avoid the accident in the first place. Both vehicles are good choices, so I would just go with whatever is more comfortable for everyone.

I hope to sit in a 200, if I ever would have an accident. It feels save and it is.

At least in european spec Land Cruiser 200 (like Lexus LX570 in the US) - who is comming with AHC "Active Heigh Control" and adjustable dampers - you cant beat the driving comfort who comes with it.

P1080660.JPG

Gel%25C3%25A4ndewagen-ausbau-schlafen-bett.jpg
DSC03238.jpg

Here is the Map of our journeys with above Land Cruiser so far:
J20-landcruiser-v8-diesel-d4d-trippin.JPG

I travelled over 70`000miles around the world with this V8 Diesel I bought new in 2011.

Above picture collection is pretty unique - but I did too wrote trip rapports at ih8mud - pic heavy:

Transafrica Journey (20`500 km) Overland Trip
Iceland Trip (6`500 km) Overland Trip
Laos Journey (4`000km) Overlanding Trip
South America solo trip (35`500 km) Overland Trip
Eastern Europe solo Trip (6`5000 km) Overland Trip
Sweden Overland (6`600 km) Overland Trip

But yes, Autopilot will be an nice option, for having more time to watch the surrounding environment in detail like as codriver. But I did testdrive an Tesla S, it didnt bring the same driving comfort soon you left the highway (and I dont mean forest roads ^^).

Anywyay, independet what rig you choose - safe travels without too much (c)ovid restrictions! The situation still can change rapidly....

trippin

Last edited:
Sensitivity to fuel prices should always be a consideration, but things aren't too ridiculous at the moment.

We also have a 1800mi round trip coming up with our seat-kicking 3 year old, we could either take the wife's X3 that gets 34mpg or the LC hog. The peace of mind with safety, reliability and just sheer space offsets the additional fuel costs to take the LC in my opinion.

Also, you get to stop every 40 minutes for gas and stretch. Win win.

Do you have a source? All I see says that IF THEY REACH a 75% vaccination rate, it might open in August. Thanks!

Do you have a source? All I see says that IF THEY REACH a 75% vaccination rate, it might open in August. Thanks!
It is not opening for nonessential U.S. citizens on July 5. My contact in the state department thinks July 21 will be the likely date.

I talked to them again sounds like Yukon could allow Alaskans to cross as essential out of Haines and Skagway. The health department couldn’t give me any idea of when the lower 48 boarder would open to vaccinated Americans.

My 0.02, they are being cautious due to majorly increasing Delta in the Midwest/mid Atlantic and lower (but increasing) vaccine rates in Canada.

My 2 pennies, With RAV4 and LC being options if family fits comfortably along with luggage in RAV4 I would take it. Have fun on your trip.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom