I've recently purchased a 93 FJz80 that runs fantastic Everything is original. Want to increase it's value... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

lets not flame. I mean I'm the first to cringe at the idea of selling arguably the best SUV ever brought to the US, but we all invest in things right? Well most of us do, some in precious metals, others in stocks, penny stocks, crypto, the traditional market or whatever. In the past, I spent several years flipping cars and made a decent side income from it. So if thats what he's trying to do with the 80 then I support him even though I always advise against selling such a high-quality item which he'll likely never have again.

So to the OP, if you're looking for $$$ and you've invested 11k you're already on our back foot. In light of this intiial investment, your goal should be to spend as little as possible, remove any aftermarket s***, clean, polish, restore (elbow grease) everything about it by cleaning and improving. Then get it on the market with lots of nice photos, detailing the frame, lack of rust (I hope at 11k it's rust-free). And try to sell when gas prices are low. Then pray you can find someone to buy at 20-30k.

If the rig is rusted out, worn out, has lots of aftermarket s*** (worse if its electrical) then you are going to fight an uphill battle.

I blame Joe Rogan, Jalopnik, BaT, $GME, $AMC and $DOGE for this thread.
I only like Joe Rogan on News Radio, have no clue what the **** Jalopnik means, my brother introduced me to BaT because there were cool cars to look at and drool over, and I bought Doge years ago who the **** cares? Why are there so many bitches on this site? Jesus **** you ask for a bit of advice and you get the foreword to some nit wits manifesto or some 50 year old gear head who thinks he's still the cool guy in high school. Glad I don't get notifications from this site. Thanks Merica.

I only like Joe Rogan on News Radio, have no clue what the f*** Jalopnik means, my brother introduced me to BaT because there were cool cars to look at and drool over, and I bought Doge years ago who the f*** cares? Why are there so many bitches on this site? Jesus f*** you ask for a bit of advice and you get the foreword to some nit wits manifesto or some 50 year old gear head who thinks he's still the cool guy in high school. Glad I don't get notifications from this site. Thanks Merica.
Have you met Ali?

He used to be a bit angry too...

But,....then he bought a Lambo.

Keep it stock.

I only like Joe Rogan on News Radio, have no clue what the f*** Jalopnik means, my brother introduced me to BaT because there were cool cars to look at and drool over, and I bought Doge years ago who the f*** cares? Why are there so many bitches on this site? Jesus f*** you ask for a bit of advice and you get the foreword to some nit wits manifesto or some 50 year old gear head who thinks he's still the cool guy in high school. Glad I don't get notifications from this site. Thanks Merica.

At least you joined a friendly forum like MUD and not something like TacomaWorld. Those guys would have flamed you so hard your panties would spontaneously combust. Good luck with the 80. Come back and show us your wads of cash when you sell it for six figures.

Probably not such a great idea to "invest" in any type of vehicle. You might as well sell it now to try and recoup your losses while your at it. You sound still a bit young and got in with all the big hype with these vehicles. Also, you got your advice, you either take it into consideration or not.

Last edited:
Everyone has a bad day. To the OP you got some good advice, some jokes, and some honest opinions. No one intended to be malicious and no one attacked. Just realize people respond while they have other life things going on and can't try to guess how everyone will interpret what they say.

The people that seem to have offended you the most were some of the people that helped me in the late hours on my first thread. If you felt they were being unkind, i would say that you likely misinterpreted their intentions.

Honesty with opinions is likely going to require thick skin and the ability to accept hearing somethings that you might not want to be true.

Paid $8K. Plus $900 in new tires (tires on it were like new, but 15 yrs old. I had no idea you that was a thing) but seller said it had only been driven 2000 miles in 9 years so that made sense. Then about another $2300 + for all new front bearings and general maintenance for drive from Austin to San Diego. Paid premium for a crusty old Toyota mechanic to take it over night and give it a once over. So short answer, conservatively in for $11500 with smog and tags and taxes in CA. Passed smog first try...I love this thing man now that I think about it.
Keep it simple and just drive it for a while. I doubt it will decrease in value much and if the right buyer comes along, you'll probably come out just fine. Personally I'd just get it baselined, add a 2.5" lift, sliders, and 33" AT tire and call it a day.

Were a Visual group, Three pages and still no pictures. 🤷‍♂️

I'm in the camp that you made a bad investment if you want to flip it. Now if you want to enjoy it your in the ball park for today market.

My Guess is it's ruff & rusty and the reason for no Picks

Here's one I picked up three weeks ago
A locked 95 Ruff but zero rust.

1625064023523.png

1625064063805.png

I payed 2k for it, That was a deal. flipped it the next day with out doing thing to a friend for $3500 and good Cruiser Karma as I'm sure it was worth way more then that.
It has a clean title runs drive and stops and has the magic 294 number on the door. $$$$$

Keep it stock or near stock for the time being. I think just adding a set of new Tokico shocks will improve the ride, and they are affordable--this will give you the time needed to see how your financial situation pans out and decide what direction you want to go with the truck build. Also, hit up one of the local clubs. Chat with the members and decide what your long-range plans are for the truck.

Honestly, we need to get out of the mid-twenty teens mentality when it comes to 80-series values. Prices for everything has gone up. The days of scoring a decent road-worthy truck for less than 5K are nearly over. Paying over 10K for a decent and unlocked truck is becoming the norm, not the exception. Take a hard look at the truck posted by Broski. If you want that truck to look decent, you have to take care of the paint. There's a hole in the side for where a snorkel would go. There's lighting issues and you have to check that roof rack for structural integrity and consider a delete. And he thinks it's worth "way more than" $3500. The people who used to buy, maintain, and drive these trucks could take care of those issues. Add a snorkel? Easy. Roof rack delete? There are plenty of threads about that. The paint? Spend a few hundys at Maaco or Monsterline it. But the issue is that there have seen an influx of buyers that aren't even weekend or shade tree mechanics. They want turn-key trucks, and they will pay for them--driving up prices for the entire community. And lets not forget specific markets like southern California that place premiums on these trucks. 11.5K may be outrageous for some of you, but it's not bonkers in the current environment, provided that the truck is in good condition. I've seen '91s and '92s go for close to that money in my area.

Sorry but the OP is starting to sound like the kid that grew up all his life with everyone blowing smoke up his ass telling him how great he is. Probably has a few shelves worth of participation trophies in his house.

Sorry but the OP is starting to sound like the kid that grew up all his life with everyone blowing smoke up his ass telling him how great he is. Probably has a few shelves worth of participation trophies in his house.
That may be, but the market is what the market is. The prices may come down when the posers start buying the new Ford Broncos...

Prices are up for inflation also, so 5k 4 years ago isn't 5k now. Also just like the David Freiburger's of the world that have demonstrated a different view of finding, fixing and driving vehicles that isn't glitzy and smelling new, has made people see older vehicles in a new light. This has driven up prices for old muscle cars over the past several years outside of chip shortages and covid etc. It isn't hard to believe that people have all recently gotten exposed to more outdoors type stuff because of lockdown, so it is opening adding a whole bunch of new buyers. The supply is shrinking but the demand is growing. We are basically getting old and remembering the day we could buy gas at 88cents a gallon....

Keep it stock or near stock for the time being. I think just adding a set of new Tokico shocks will improve the ride, and they are affordable--this will give you the time needed to see how your financial situation pans out and decide what direction you want to go with the truck build. Also, hit up one of the local clubs. Chat with the members and decide what your long-range plans are for the truck.

Honestly, we need to get out of the mid-twenty teens mentality when it comes to 80-series values. Prices for everything has gone up. The days of scoring a decent road-worthy truck for less than 5K are nearly over. Paying over 10K for a decent and unlocked truck is becoming the norm, not the exception. Take a hard look at the truck posted by Broski. If you want that truck to look decent, you have to take care of the paint. There's a hole in the side for where a snorkel would go. There's lighting issues and you have to check that roof rack for structural integrity and consider a delete. And he thinks it's worth "way more than" $3500. The people who used to buy, maintain, and drive these trucks could take care of those issues. Add a snorkel? Easy. Roof rack delete? There are plenty of threads about that. The paint? Spend a few hundys at Maaco or Monsterline it. But the issue is that there have seen an influx of buyers that aren't even weekend or shade tree mechanics. They want turn-key trucks, and they will pay for them--driving up prices for the entire community. And lets not forget specific markets like southern California that place premiums on these trucks. 11.5K may be outrageous for some of you, but it's not bonkers in the current environment, provided that the truck is in good condition. I've seen '91s and '92s go for close to that money in my area.
The truck was bought by a long time member of the community/ mud and knows these truck well ( He can come forward if he wants) from the same to pictures I posted no questions asked, again zero rust and never on the rocks ( the bottom is free of any rock rash ) to me worth much more then a pretty paint job. Easier to repaint then to get rid of rust or rock rash.
I don't think, I know and so did he it's worth more then $ 3500 on the open market.
I don't like it any more the the next Cruiser Head but prices have gone through the roof, I check almost daily whats available across the states.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom