Help! Electronic Distributor cutting out? Is it bad? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
instagram.com
Hey guys, anyone understand HEI style distributors? I'm running one of those internal-coil distributors the PO installed.

Basically the motor died while driving. Got it home, here's the conclusion. The spark plugs are getting intermittent spark. It won't stay running because it cuts out and doesn't have spark most of the time. The distributor IS getting constant power.

Do I need a whole new distributor? Or just coil part? My FJ is my daily driver, so I'm hoping to get it back on the road ASAP. Thanks!

I had a bad power wire to the dist cause this. It looked good and I always had power when testing, but when jostled or moved, it cut out. Replaced the wire, problem solved.

Thanks. I ran a wire straight to battery. No luck.
I had a bad power wire to the dist cause this. It looked good and I always had power when testing, but when jostled or moved, it cut out. Replaced the wire, problem solved.

hei also have a habit of eating the module....my understanding is due to grounding issues.....irrc the eight cylinder and six mods are the same.

The three major electrical parts to the HEI or DUI are easy to find at local parts store & online. There are plenty of YouTube vids on diagnosing and parts replacement.

“Performance Distributors” may be a place to check out for testing tips or a replacement if you choose to stay with that type.
"TIPS" - "REPLACEMENT"

DUI parts.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom