Departure angle 4X4Labs vs Delta vs? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I was hoping someone might have some side by side comparison pictures of a 4X4Labs rear bumper vs. a Delta vs rear bumper? I'm trying to get an idea of how different the departure angle is between them. Ideally, I'd just have a 4X4Labs bumper modified to use Delta's swingarms and latch system.

The Labs bumper has slightly more departure angle. No getting around that when you cut a bit of the frame off to install it.

Our bumper is tight to the rear cross member (it’s bolted to it) and bolts tight to the bottom of the frame. It gives you as much clearance as you can get without cutting the frame.

The Labs bumper has slightly more departure angle. No getting around that when you cut a bit of the frame off to install it.

Our bumper is tight to the rear cross member (it’s bolted to it) and bolts tight to the bottom of the frame. It gives you as much clearance as you can get without cutting the frame.
I do like the idea of not having to cut my frame. Thanks for the clarification. 👊🏽

I do like the idea of not having to cut my frame. Thanks for the clarification. 👊🏽
Yall never worked with metal in your life or what? lmao

I had absolutely no issues cutting the frame. The section of the frame that I cut off to put on the 4 x 4 labs bumper, seems to be the bit I’m always hanging on coming off an obstacle. It needed to go.

by the way I am not using the 4 x 4 labs latch system as everyone says it rattles.

Yall never worked with metal in your life or what? lmao
Y’all never seent 80 Series selling for 150,000 plus dollars? Some people don’t like making those kind of changes.

I like the departure angle of the Labs bumper, and I don't mind cutting my frame. My rig is not a show rig and never will be. I like the aesthetics and latch system on the Delta bumper better, though. Does anyone know the weight difference? Just the bumper with no swingouts or accessories. My cruiser is also light (as cruisers go) and I would like to try to maintain the low weight. Everything points to the Labs bumper except the aesthetics and latch system so far.

I had absolutely no issues cutting the frame. The section of the frame that I cut off to put on the 4 x 4 labs bumper, seems to be the bit I’m always hanging on coming off an obstacle. It needed to go.

by the way I am not using the 4 x 4 labs latch system as everyone says it rattles.
don't know have many other things rattling , pretty sure my 4x4 labs doesn't it pretty tight. Then again there are many advantages to being deaf on one side.

I like the departure angle of the Labs bumper, and I don't mind cutting my frame. My rig is not a show rig and never will be. I like the aesthetics and latch system on the Delta bumper better, though. Does anyone know the weight difference? Just the bumper with no swingouts or accessories. My cruiser is also light (as cruisers go) and I would like to try to maintain the low weight. Everything points to the Labs bumper except the aesthetics and latch system so far.
Weight of ours can be seen here: Delta Vehicle Systems - FJ80/FZJ80 Modular Rear Bumper - https://www.deltavs.com/all-products/fj80-fzj80-modular-rear-bumper or in the attached screenshot. Don't know what the labs bumper weighs but guessing it'll be a little less.

If you're not thinking about adding any swingarms/accessories (asking about weights without those), why is our latch mechanism part of your decision? Just curious.

Screen Shot 2021-06-22 at 5.00.54 PM.png

I appreciate and admire the Delta bumper/swingout and tire carrier design EVERY time I effortlessly open and close it... AND it is solid and silent when latched.
THESE things mattered to me.

I appreciate and admire the Delta bumper/swingout and tire carrier design EVERY time I effortlessly open and close it... AND it is solid and silent when latched.
THESE things mattered to me.
I will likely just be an admirer of Delta’s full bumper kit from a distance as I only need to run their arms and rear bracket.

I’m not trying to blow smoke up their Idaho bums. In fact, I may have pissed them off a little back when I complained on here about getting a few scratches on the pan bracket during shipping.

But they engineer amazingly good looking products bespoke to the 80. They provide awesome documentation. I only hear rave reviews on product functionality. They’re made in the USA.

Above all, they are active participants coping with the ih8 peanut gallery on a regular basis. 🤪

I, for one, welcome more Delta like vendors in the 80 series aftermarket ecosystem. Keep raising the bar y’all.

I want their sliders next.

I like the Delta latches and swingouts because they seem to be a much better solution to the issue. I have seen videos of the mechanism and I like how sturdy it is, yet effortless to operate. I know some of the other systems out there rattle, get loose, require adjustment, sag, or take extra effort to use.

I will likely just be an admirer of Delta’s full bumper kit from a distance as I only need to run their arms and rear bracket.

I’m not trying to blow smoke up their Idaho bums. In fact, I may have pissed them off a little back when I complained on here about getting a few scratches on the pan bracket during shipping.

But they engineer amazingly good looking products bespoke to the 80. They provide awesome documentation. I only hear rave reviews on product functionality. They’re made in the USA.

Above all, they are active participants coping with the ih8 peanut gallery on a regular basis. 🤪

I, for one, welcome more Delta like vendors in the 80 series aftermarket ecosystem. Keep raising the bar y’all.

I want their sliders next.
venders love 80s fanatics like yourself....don't offroad, only go for esthetics and no practicality needed. :rofl:

You’d be removing a thin metal factory factory cross member and replacing it with a 1/4” thick bumper that also acts as a cross member. It’s the tightest to the vehicle bumper you can buy, but if you won’t be rock crawling that doesn’t matter.

Y’all never seent 80 Series selling for 150,000 plus dollars? Some people don’t like making those kind of changes.
I've had this rig for a year and a half now, and I don't ever see myself selling it, no matter what it's worth. It gets used and I don't need it to be pretty.

Agreed, if you're worried about the resale value, you might worry about cutting the frame as there is no going back. To each his own.

I do rather appreciate your engineering and would run more of your products if I could afford them. Business for us is still slow post covid, no money. I'd probably have all the Delta gear, if I was making more money.

that's news to me. Mine doesn't rattle. I guess it's likely if you don't have it adjusted properly. I was just on a 2-week trip that rattled all my bones out, but the bumper was pretty quiet. Sure every now and then i wonder if my welds will hold up but that's on me :D

The 4x4labs latch rattle is a easy fix. UHMW strip and some 3/8 stainless flat bar. Supports the arms when locked and rattle free. Used some as a stopper well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom