Wiring an aftermarket tachometer question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Wiring in my tachometer today among the other last little things to clean up … here’s what I found … I have a pic of the tach directions for set up

my question is: it says to wire in the hot wire to my battery fed 12v switched - ignition wire…
so I’m taking my black/yellow???? And splicing in another in-line fuse (with what amp atc - 5-10?)
to my red hot line to tach?

is that right? I’m only confused by the fact that I have my fused line in white….but I know that leads to the back of my gauges to amp meter … someone clear this up for me so I feel comfortable

5EF9E688-F267-4064-B65F-32B2C62E8748.jpeg

70DE1852-36F3-4C78-B964-B854E1E7B7CD.jpeg

1D8CABBB-6CE4-490B-B81F-3E29E8E98467.jpeg

646C7973-288A-433D-8A90-E8B3BA756414.jpeg

Re: fuse, "For tachs without a Shift-Lite we recommend using a 1Amp 3 AG fast-acting type cartridge fuse (Littlefuse® #312 001 or an equivalent)."

Here’s a more clear diagram.
Not clear on your question though.

Tach Wires 01.jpg

So I figured it is the black yellow … but having to connect my arb switches , dual tank , radio , tach all to a hot ignition line sounds like a nightmare … think I’m going to wire my aux fuse block

think I’m going to wire my aux fuse block
That would be good. So long as the tach is hot only when ignition is hot.

If you want to get fancy, you could put in a relay using the switched +12v wire from your coil to provide power to the relay. The relay then turns on power to your aux fuse block. This keeps all your extra circuits separate from the main harness.

It's really not being fancy, it's much safer and easier to troubleshoot any issues down the road.

If you want to get fancy, you could put in a relay using the switched +12v wire from your coil to provide power to the relay. The relay then turns on power to your aux fuse block. This keeps all your extra circuits separate from the main harness.

It's really not being fancy, it's much safer and easier to troubleshoot any issues down the road.
Already on top of this - I figured it was a must in my mind ... was curious if an inline fuse to the alt fuse block is unneeded with the relay??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom