Spare tire issue! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi everyone! Wondering about an issue I have with the spare tire! After upgrading to larger tires, the spare rubs against the back of the cruiser when it is locked in place. Are there any adapters or extenders to put the tire a few more inches away from the back?

Finally got the new cappiece and top bolted down! stoked on how it turned out!!

I have a 1974 FJ40. I want to continue to use the existing carrier. Just hoping for an adapter to push the tire out a bit!

9BBFC9F0-4FAC-454A-B0F4-4832CEC56CB1.jpeg

3E05C01A-6409-4A58-954E-3DDDCDA873A6.jpeg

06444944-DE76-4644-B57B-275475E70B9C.jpeg

If it just barely rubs, you can shim the bracket the tire bolts to off the carrier with washers or something. I used some square tube to space mine out, then longer bolts are needed.

Hi everyone! Wondering about an issue I have with the spare tire! After upgrading to larger tires, the spare rubs against the back of the cruiser when it is locked in place. Are there any adapters or extenders to put the tire a few more inches away from the back?

Finally got the new cappiece and top bolted down! stoked on how it turned out!!
Does the tire actually hit the body or simply contacts the tire carrier?

If the tire is moving enough to contact the body then that says the factory tire carrier is to weak to handle the extra weight of your new tires.

If the tire is just rubbing the tire carrier itself I would leave it where it is. If you space the tire further away it will put more stress on the carrier where it mounts to the body and repeated flexing of the body will eventually crack the body.

Wow! That thing is awesome! Great work on the fab!

don’t have any other details on my set up... unfortunately. It was a retired officer who had it originally and modified. He passed and I picked the rig up from the Grandson.
Wish I could have talked with the officer awhile!

If it just barely rubs, you can shim the bracket the tire bolts to off the carrier with washers or something. I used some square tube to space mine out, then longer bolts are needed.

I did the same, some 1” square tubing to space the mounting bracket out.
BDD16912-E748-4183-94F7-625B0F8111ED.jpeg

Your latch also seems to be attached to the chassis instead of the body. I have a feeling there is some kind of cool montage here, curious if you have more pictures to share ?

this is version 3.9...later this fall i'll be upgrading to version 4.2 which add some stiffening in order to remove some flexing that the plate carrier has.
bumper2021.jpg

bumper2021B.jpg

Reactions: flx
Many possible solutions, depending on how ‘clean’ you want it. For many years, I spaced out the holder from the plate with 6 factory lugnuts. Always knew where I could grab some in a pinch on the trail.😉

Suggestion provided my my Chinese cousin: Lo Tec.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom