How to make rear windows work with tube doors? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Have a unique issue I think - is there a way to get the rear power windows to work while running tube doors in the front? With the front doors removed, the master switch is gone and none of the rear switches will work. Is there a way to bypass the master to let the switches work independently? I can't just plug in the switch because the entire harness is in the door.

Silly problem, but I want tube doors and power windows at the same time 🤷🏼

Ah, the old ”More Cowbell” conundrum. I believe those smarter than me will chime in shortly.

I would start with the EWD and get a door harness from inside a donor door or from someone parting a truck out.

After learning the wiring I would pare down the donor harness to the minimum needed to operate the rear windows and then make a small switch panel that plugs into the footwell area when the doors are off.

Do you still have the silly coin holder in the center console? Maybe relocate the master switch there and get 4 switches, sort of like the Jeep does and early BMW's? Would take some re-wiring, but given you abilities don't think you would have a hard time.

I want to live in the world where someone makes a quick disconnect system for the front doors so you can just take them off. I want to blast around town like some a****** in a Jeep, they have all the fun.

Do you still have the silly coin holder in the center console? Maybe relocate the master switch there and get 4 switches, sort of like the Jeep does and early BMW's? Would take some re-wiring, but given you abilities don't think you would have a hard time.
Hell yea

I imagine if you jumper the correct pins on the master harness it will power allow power to the rear windows to work independently.

Have a unique issue I think - is there a way to get the rear power windows to work while running tube doors in the front? With the front doors removed, the master switch is gone and none of the rear switches will work. Is there a way to bypass the master to let the switches work independently? I can't just plug in the switch because the entire harness is in the door.

Silly problem, but I want tube doors and power windows at the same time 🤷🏼

Where are you disconnecting the door harness from the body harness? What connector are you disconnecting and where is it located?

Cheers

I would start with the EWD and get a door harness from inside a donor door or from someone parting a truck out.

After learning the wiring I would pare down the donor harness to the minimum needed to operate the rear windows and then make a small switch panel that plugs into the footwell area when the doors are off.

That was my first thought as well, but was hoping there could be an easier way to bypass the master window switch and at least let the windows operate independently.

That's a cool idea! I'm not I could figure it out though. The wiring looks pretty intense as the door lock control relay and courtesy lights are all tied together.

I want to live in the world where someone makes a quick disconnect system for the front doors so you can just take them off. I want to blast around town like some a****** in a Jeep, they have all the fun.

That's the one thing Jeep got right!

Where are you disconnecting the door harness from the body harness? What connector are you disconnecting and where is it located?

Cheers

Right inside the kick panels. The driver side door has 2 plugs in the there, passenger just 1.

Pics of tube doors plz!

Here you go, still a work in process

QWj9TMph.jpg

iBN4SsCh.jpg

Put the rear windows down before you remove the driver door :hillbilly:

Actually I was trying to put my rear windows up even I realized they didn't work. Had to plug in the driver door harness without disconnecting my tube doors. That was not fun.

I imagine if you jumper the correct pins on the master harness it will power allow power to the rear windows to work independently.

Thanks - this is what I was hoping to achieve. I've looked at the EWD and from what I can tell, the rear switches get their power from the front switch as shown by the BJ1 connector, this is the one in the driver side kick panel. Is it as simple as jumping together pins 12 & 15 for right rear and pins 16 & 17 for rear left? I also don't see any other wiring for the window motors, do those also get power from the master switch?

Eg65H7Kh.jpg

9OXC78Ah.jpg

Those pins need to go to ground (assuming 12/15 16/17 get ground from master). Don't put them together. If you look at the rear door switch(s), you see both are connected to ground at all times. To power the window, one switch moves to power and the window goes up or down. By unplugging the master switch the rear windows no longer have a ground. Personally I would buy another driver door side connector, wire it and leave it there. Remove door and plug in new connector as needed.
Verify the pins are ground. All the vehicles I dealt with in the shop were pretty much wired the same. I don't have time to grab my book and look before work.

Right inside the kick panels. The driver side door has 2 plugs in the there, passenger just 1.

That's connector BJ1. You're going to want to connect terminals 12, 15, 16, and 17 with 11. To do that, you'll need to get the door side of BJ1 from Toyota, which is either 90980-10811 or 90980-10810. Then you'll need the terminals, either pins or sockets, depending on which of the connectors above is correct. Then you can just do a bit of wiring and crimping to bridge those five terminals together and you should be good to go.

Cheers

Heres a quick drawing with the left rear rolling down. I modded your pic some.

window.jpg

That's connector BJ1. You're going to want to connect terminals 12, 15, 16, and 17 with 11. To do that, you'll need to get the door side of BJ1 from Toyota, which is either 90980-10811 or 90980-10810. Then you'll need the terminals, either pins or sockets, depending on which of the connectors above is correct. Then you can just do a bit of wiring and crimping to bridge those five terminals together and you should be good to go.

Cheers

Thanks for the help! Looks like the part numbers are for male and female. Where do you find the part numbers for these various connectors?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom