Replacing 80 series antenna with FireStik? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My ‘96 FZJ80 still has its original, functional retractable, am/fm antenna. It doesn’t do a very good job and is vulnerable to damage so I’d like to replace it with something that gets better reception and is sturdy. What are your thoughts on mounting a 4’ Firestik on my 4X4Labs rear bumper? It has mounts on both swingouts. I’m stripping out the interior to sound deaden it so running coax to the rear would be no problem.

BTW, I’ll only use it for am/fm so I don’t need to consider it’s functionality for CB, Ham etc.

My ‘96 FZJ80 still has its original, functional retractable, am/fm antenna. It doesn’t do a very good job and is vulnerable to damage so I’d like to replace it with something that gets better reception and is sturdy. What are your thoughts on mounting a 4’ Firestik on my 4X4Labs rear bumper? It has mounts on both swingouts. I’m stripping out the interior to sound deaden it so running coax to the rear would be no problem.

BTW, I’ll only use it for am/fm so I don’t need to consider it’s functionality for CB, Ham etc.
I have a Firestik in the original antenna spot. I like it. The auto antenna function was wonky and annoying. I did a splitter for CB as well. Reception is reasonably good. You can probably find a thread on the FAQ section of the 80 Forum. "Tacoma, or 4Runner antenna" or something like that.

I had the original radio antenna - and also a Firestik in the back for CB - then I moved to a permanently mounted ham antenna on the other side of the back....

Then I remembered as a kid how my dad had his CB antenna connected to a switch, then he could listen to the radio using the same antenna....

And these days, CBs are almost unusable and most of us are on 2m or 70cm on the trail.......

So I did a little research, bought an adapter, connected my Android Head Unit to the Firestik - junked the power antenna, and in it's place ran my solar cables through it to my solar charge controller....

I still keep the CB in a box and can plug it in if need be...... but it's been 2 years and counting - haven't missed the CB as of yet....

FJ80 Antennae72DPI.jpg

You can also use this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom