Got a once over - gearing up for next steps. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
All - thanks for the advice on starting out. My local mechanic gave my 1975 FJ a once over and declared her fairly solid, with a few exceptions:
  • Rear drum brakes are shot (upgraded front disc upgrades are fine)
  • Upgraded power steering has got a seal issue.
  • All the battery connections are shot.
The second two appear to be pretty fixable. However, I'm thinking I should just upgrade to disc brakes in the back. Do people have a favorite conversion kit? I know this has been answered before but I couldn't find anything definitive.

Thanks,

Kevin

Maybe your best bet is to do a cost analysis. If it is less expensive to fix the rear brakes then go for it unless you want 4 wheel disc brakes. If you go the 4 wheel disc route then look for kits that use the same caliper or family so parts will be interchangeable.

Maybe your best bet is to do a cost analysis. If it is less expensive to fix the rear brakes then go for it unless you want 4 wheel disc brakes. If you go the 4 wheel disc route then look for kits that use the same caliper or family so parts will be interchangeable.
Thanks. Good point on similar kits. It sounds like there isn't one specific kit that everyone prefers?

All - thanks for the advice on starting out. My local mechanic gave my 1975 FJ a once over and declared her fairly solid, with a few exceptions:
  • Rear drum brakes are shot (upgraded front disc upgrades are fine)
  • Upgraded power steering has got a seal issue.
  • All the battery connections are shot.
The second two appear to be pretty fixable. However, I'm thinking I should just upgrade to disc brakes in the back. Do people have a favorite conversion kit? I know this has been answered before but I couldn't find anything definitive.

Thanks,

Kevin

I think you will find that the most common (easiest) rear disc conversion is the tried-and-true cheby Monte Carlo calipers. @Poser , Man-A-Fre and others make the brackets that allow you to easily mount these calipers on your rear axle. That's what I did, and I've been very happy with the results. For the very best results though, you'll want to change your master cylinder out for an FZJ-80 master that was made and metered for 4-wheel discs, and use a rear proportioning valve also. There are multiple threads here on how to do all this.

Go with Poser (here on MUD)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom