Weekday Trail Run Suggestions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I got a new job and I have a week between my last day at my current job (18June2021) and first day at the new job (28June2021). I should be able to get my cooling system pretty well buttoned up over the weekend, and I'd like to take the 40 out during the week for a bit of a stress test. Understanding that this is intended to be a bit of a test of the cooling system, I'll likely be solo, my offroad driving ability is at the novice end of the scale when compared to many of our club members, I'm running 31" tires, and I have open differentials; I'm looking for trail suggestions in the Bozeman area.

I was thinking that I might try the Ringing Rocks trail. The Gravelly Range rd is also a possibility. I'm hoping to try out the new tracking feature on the onX offroad app. I've been really disappointed by the app so far, and this might just be the last time I use it before switching to something else. Are there other trails I should consider?

I got a new job and I have a week between my last day at my current job (18June2021) and first day at the new job (28June2021). I should be able to get my cooling system pretty well buttoned up over the weekend, and I'd like to take the 40 out during the week for a bit of a stress test. Understanding that this is intended to be a bit of a test of the cooling system, I'll likely be solo, my offroad driving ability is at the novice end of the scale when compared to many of our club members, I'm running 31" tires, and I have open differentials; I'm looking for trail suggestions in the Bozeman area.

I was thinking that I might try the Ringing Rocks trail. The Gravelly Range rd is also a possibility. I'm hoping to try out the new tracking feature on the onX offroad app. I've been really disappointed by the app so far, and this might just be the last time I use it before switching to something else. Are there other trails I should consider?
North and South meadow Creek trails are fairly tame.

North becomes Twin Lakes?
You can go to Twin Lakes but I would not do it without lockers and good skid plates, and definitely not so solo, it is a rock garden to say the least. Here is the video of when I went down it, if I never go down that trail again it will be too soon.

FYI north meadows "twin lakes" is covered in downed trees last i heard. Also the second bridge might not be there anymore. i would not recommend solo unless you want a challenge. south meadows would ne nice.

just going for a drive up little bear might be a nice option too. there's a hidden lake and some nice views. if your on Gaia i can send you some waypoints.

South Meadows is awesome. Tobacco roots
Sureshot lake area Tabacco Roots
Ringing Rocks/Pipestone is great.
Flathead pass
Little bear (gallatin gateway)

For good trails close to bozeman, I like the tabacco roots.

I have a weird schedule this summer and have some random times free hit me up and if I can swing it, I will. Also, Mark is usually down for a Tuesday adventure with his work schedule @4gotalot

FYI north meadows "twin lakes" is covered in downed trees last i heard. Also the second bridge might not be there anymore. i would not recommend solo unless you want a challenge. south meadows would ne nice.
That's more challenge (and more work) than I'm probably looking for.
just going for a drive up little bear might be a nice option too. there's a hidden lake and some nice views. if your on Gaia i can send you some waypoints.
I did Little Bear in a Subaru once. Not totally on purpose. Wife was not impressed.

South Meadows is awesome. Tobacco roots
Sureshot lake area Tabacco Roots
Ringing Rocks/Pipestone is great.
Flathead pass
Little bear (gallatin gateway)

For good trails close to bozeman, I like the tabacco roots.

I have a weird schedule this summer and have some random times free hit me up and if I can swing it, I will. Also, Mark is usually down for a Tuesday adventure with his work schedule @4gotalot
I just did Flathead a couple weekends back. That would be a more or less apples to apples comparison to see how my cooling system improvements work. That's probably a good plan, but I don't feel as excited about that as checking out something I haven't already done.
Is Sureshot lake interesting to get to? It looks like there are lots of interesting things in that general area.
I haven't been out to Pipestone/Ringing Rocks for a year or so. Is Wickes Tunnel something to avoid when solo?

i heard the wicks tunnel partially collapsed. also a very interesting area with the trailer parks that surround it. not a hard drive by any means but i wouldnt want to break down alone. especially after dark

I have Tuesday and Wednesday off. I took the dogs for a (Montana) drive around the block 2 weeks ago up south meadow creek just up to the Missouri Mine and there was still snow on the road at the mine so not sure if has cleared any further up. Lots of big trees blown down across the road and someone had cleared a path just wide enough for a wide body 200LC. FS employee was there taking pictures. We had ice cream on the way home.

Hey Arron, Do you have any mote details on north meadow? Specifically the bridge.
I'm down for cutting trees. I'm maybe down for winching across the river. We're trying to figure out our first weekend out with the new baby, the campteq. Oh and our actual baby.

Hey Arron, Do you have any mote details on north meadow? Specifically the bridge.
I'm down for cutting trees. I'm maybe down for winching across the river. We're trying to figure out our first weekend out with the new baby, the campteq. Oh and our actual baby.
I heard Phoenix and Matteas were up there and worked on it. Not sure. Oh and maybe @JohnnyOshow22 would know.

Twin lakes is open. Someone repaired the bridge no down trees in the way. Went up Friday and just came back today.
PXL_20210626_172013873.jpg

Thanks, good news even though it means I won't have it all to myself.
We almost had it all to ourselves until yesterday at about 12 noon some rednecks rolled up and cut to the lake off trail because we were camped where you can nose down to the lake at the very very end so I started telling them to get back on the road. We definitely pissed them off because they left a very nice rune to mark their dominance... Found this on the way out today
IMG_20210627_144126.jpg

I scrubbed that from the tree with an axe.

If anyone sees a large red f250 with black fenders and some 37's license plate CMS815 off road and off trail just take the plate and report them, do not engage them. These idiots we're ready to let lead fly over telling them to get back on the trail. Some people just don't get that this awesome backcountry isn't going to be accessable for long when they do things like that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom