200-series at the dragstrip (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

KLF

Frame waxer
SILVER Star
Threads
Anybody here ever had their 200-series on a dragstrip?

OK, so here's the deal. There's a place about 20 minutes from me (Race Track | New England Dragway | Epping, NH - https://www.nedragway.com/) that has a Street Night every Wednesday. You can run anything you want, as many runs as you want for $25. Very easy tech inspection, performance cars have to wear a helmet. I was there a couple of weeks ago with a co-worker running his Polestar 2 EV, it was a lot of fun, car did great. We're gonna go back this Wednesday, and just for fun my son and I are gonna "grudge match" his POS Geo Metro (relabeled Corolla) commuter against my Cruiser, loser buys dinner.

I can't find any 0-60 or 1/4 mi specs, so not sure how it will do, not that I care. I have zero mods on my engine and drivetrain, stock suspension, but carry a lot of tools in my ARB drawers. Also have approx. 250 lbs of armor (Budbuilt skids & sliders, and RLC rear bumper). I promised him I wouldn't do any "lightening" tricks, I'll run as-is.

Any tips? Both prep and on the track? I was thinking about picking up a new air filter. TC off? CDL locked, or no? PWR button pressed, AC and accessories off, windows up. Not sure what to do about tire pressures. I know it's very critical when we're doing autocross in the Miata, but that's about cornering.

I figure it's just a matter of matting the pedal at the green, and keep it straight.

I'll post results after, and hopefully some video. My guess is that I'll beat him off the line, but eventually he'll catch me when as air drag starts building up.

There are countless reported 0-60 times for both the LC and the LX.

Tips? Just one: understand what you're driving. A very large, and very heavy vehicle. Neither air filters nor any buttons in the vehicle will make any practical difference.

Oh, and your cruiser will reach 60 in half the time the Geo Metro will take. Not much of a race IMO.

I did find a C&D review of the 2021 that says 0-60 in 7.0 secs, 1/4 mi in 15.4 @ 90 mph. But that's the 8-speed, not sure if will make any difference.

I've touched 100 a couple of times on very open highway, very stable, so I'm not worried about keeping it between the lines. It's getting it stopped that is more concerning, but I have upgraded to better pads and DBA rotors. 285/70R17 BFG KO2's on RW wheels.

I don't consider this "very large" or "very heavy". There was a guy there with an obviously tweaked BIG double-cab RAM diesel that ran mid-10's, 135 mph. Total sleeper, it was pretty impressive. I have a video but can't figure out an easy way to get it posted.

Might try it with manually shifting, just for fun.

Last edited:
That sounds like a hoot! Build revs and let her rip!

And remember, most powerful system on your car is the brakes unless they’re totally shot. Don’t stress about that.

Hope you follow up, sounds like a great time

A couple of tips from someone who’s never driven a car on road before:
-brake boost launch (full throttle + braking)
-if you’re shifting in manual mode, start from S1 and upshift one second or so before you’d normally expect (there’s a delay between input and shifting)

I’ve got a video of supercharged 200s at a roll racing event, but no videos of stock or semi stock 200s, unfortunately.

Here’s a video of a stock 2012 LC200 5.7 accelerating from 0 to top speed:

PWR on. Hold trac button, while stopped, until trac off and amber symbol in speedometer is lit.
Power brake to load the torque converter and manual shift each gear right before rev limiter.

Since you'll be out there doing multiple passes, try getting a time with no trac off, s mode, anything.. and then some doing whatever you want.

Pretty sure on a heavy non-traction-limited vehicle like this that stock transmission programming doesn't mind pushing to redline at WOT, none of it will make a difference. But still I'm curious.

PWR on. Hold trac button, while stopped, until trac off and amber symbol in speedometer is lit.
Power brake to load the torque converter and manual shift each gear right before rev limiter.
I don't think the ECU will allow you to WOT with the brakes held. Once the brake is on, it cuts the throttle. This is a result of all the "my gas pedal is stuck and I can't get the car to stop" lawsuits.

But I'll give it a try.

I don't think the ECU will allow you to WOT with the brakes held. Once the brake is on, it cuts the throttle. This is a result of all the "my gas pedal is stuck and I can't get the car to stop" lawsuits.

But I'll give it a try.
No, I'm talking around 1500rpm to load the converter some. Then let off the brake with you left foot and mat the right foot.

Try it on the street and you can wheel hop the front. 🤙🏽

No, I'm talking around 1500rpm to load the converter some. Then let off the brake with you left foot and mat the right foot.

OK, I'll give it a try tomorrow. Thanks!

Seems destructive to the vehicle and lacking mechanical sympathy for your vehicle. I don’t think I could do that to my cruiser or any other street vehicle I cared to keep around. Now a dedicated track vehicle… absolutely.

Some of what people do towing trailers every summer probably does more total harm.. barring things like wheel hop anyway.

Seems destructive to the vehicle and lacking mechanical sympathy for your vehicle. I don’t think I could do that to my cruiser or any other street vehicle I cared to keep around. Now a dedicated track vehicle… absolutely.
There is no way I could keep track of the number of times I've done this, bumped off of the rev limiter, or lifted the inside front tire in a turn. This is all just as hard on the drivetrain as a lot of the offroading the truck was made for.

Wow, if a 1/4 mile run at WOT ended up causing any damage, I don't think I want to drive this POS anymore. This is nothing.

There were kids there with Honda Civics and Subarus, fart pipes screaming away. Several brand new BMWs. One kid was there with his GF, with a stock Civic Si, having a blast. One old guy in an older Caddie, that was fun to watch, he was so excited.

Quite a few souped up cars too... Mustangs, Transmaros, Corvettes, even a Hellcat. One full-on drag car, mid-70's Nova. It made it half way down the track and it suddenly shut down, he idled it the rest of the way, back to the pits.

Launching just brake with the edge of your shoe not whole foot in middle of pedal, might get you a half second better time.

If you've got a 6speed your faster than the 8speed 200s. Raced my cousin a while back when he had a '19 with maybe 10k on it. I had my armor and camping gear and still beat em. Definitely brake torque and you'll really feel how much the 200 can boogy

Drive AROUND the water box or everyone and their mother will hate you for the water your tires bring up to the starting line. Other than that, just press the pedal on the right.

I'd set:

ECT PWR = on
TRAC = off

You might try to run a few tanks of 93 octane before the race. I can't really say if this will help but given the LX makes a whopping extra 2 HP on premium maybe it'll give you an edge? I don't think 100+ octane race fuel will matter but WTF do I know?

Aside from that I don't think it'll matter much. The number of times I've just floored it when towing to get up to speed on a short highway entrance ramp I can say for sure that the ECU will let the engine rev to about 5500 RPMs before it shifts, which will put you around 3500 RPMs in the next gear, which is the sweet spot.

Most important thing though, get a video ;)

Wow, if a 1/4 mile run at WOT ended up causing any damage, I don't think I want to drive this POS anymore. This is nothing.

There were kids there with Honda Civics and Subarus, fart pipes screaming away. Several brand new BMWs. One kid was there with his GF, with a stock Civic Si, having a blast. One old guy in an older Caddie, that was fun to watch, he was so excited.

Quite a few souped up cars too... Mustangs, Transmaros, Corvettes, even a Hellcat. One full-on drag car, mid-70's Nova. It made it half way down the track and it suddenly shut down, he idled it the rest of the way, back to the pits.
What'd your slip show? Did you beat the Corolla?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom