What Did You Do with Your 80 This Weekend? (44 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Mine came this way. Its hard as balls to close, kind of pisses me off. I was thinking about loosening it, but I guess I'll just put up with it after reading this.
At first I used a piece of leather sandwiched between the swingout and the bumper as a temp fix. I finally got around to drilling and tapping the stop to accept stainless screws and rubber bumpers. When they finally harden or fall off, real simple to back the screw out and replace.

I made mine really tight and use a foot long cheater pipe to open and close it. Easy to open and no rattles. Thinking about just welding an extension on the latch.

Technically it was Monday, but my ride had to get a ride home. Thinking it’s the alternator.

View attachment 2698011
I made that ride twice. Then I upgraded to the Sequoia 150A with Photoman bracket and haven’t looked back!

I should specify that the PO had a remanufactured alt in it when I bought it and I had to put a reman in when the first one went out. So two remans failed before I purchased a 150A Denso from the dealer and used Photoman’s kit to install.

Last edited:
A pile of bushings changed out today.

View attachment 2698506

Cheers
Made me use alot of money :)

20210609_161651.jpg

New boss at work said no more personal projects in the building🙁😡 so luckily @BelnanDiesel did my front bushings for me😁
Ready to re-install

image.jpg

At first I used a piece of leather sandwiched between the swingout and the bumper as a temp fix. I finally got around to drilling and tapping the stop to accept stainless screws and rubber bumpers. When they finally harden or fall off, real simple to back the screw out and replace.
This is a really good idea. Might end up drilling/tapping + adding rubber in the future. For those of you that don't rattle - I have a 121lb wheel on the swing out that is likely a culprit. Yeah... I'm in the market for lighter wheels ;)

Well it’s lifted. Rear bumper is on but not in this picture obviously. My NWTI and winch arrived today so that should add some more weight. It seems a little squirrelly at speed so not sure if I need to retighten after these first few test drives or if something else is the culprit. Looks cool though. Specs are the Dobinson 144/145s, Dobinson adjustable front panhard bar and the Dobinson regular shocks. And of course the damper.

099C9872-BA93-4F76-AB49-2D456A2BFA2D.jpeg

Looks familiar in black with that rack...great work, looks amazing!

Well it’s lifted. Rear bumper is on but not in this picture obviously. My NWTI and winch arrived today so that should add some more weight. It seems a little squirrelly at speed so not sure if I need to retighten after these first few test drives or if something else is the culprit. Looks cool though. Specs are the Dobinson 144/145s, Dobinson adjustable front panhard bar and the Dobinson regular shocks. And of course the damper.

View attachment 2700408
What was done for caster correction? I'd bet insufficient caster is to blame for your squirrellyness...

What was done for caster correction? I'd bet insufficient caster is to blame for your squirrellyness...
It’s got the Dobinson caster plates. That’s what I would have expected it to be from if it didn’t have those on it.

It’s got the Dobinson caster plates. That’s what I would have expected it to be from if it didn’t have those on it.
Super high tire pressures (like most tire shops leave you with) can cause similar issues too. Do you know what the tire pressures are?

I'm going to check this morning but that was also something I thought about. What range is recommended?

First things first, get an alignment.

I'm going to check this morning but that was also something I thought about. What range is recommended?

The chalk test on your tires will let you know the optimal psi for your situation.

Find a nice flat section of asphalt. Air your tires up to 55-60. Coat a front and rear tire in chalk and drive it. At this psi you should be over inflated. This would be indicated by a chalk track that was skinnier than your tire. From this point air down 5 psi and repeat until you get a nice uniform chalk pattern indicating even contact of your entire tread face.

@RuggedBound ….when will these be available again for 80’s (website says out)? How much assembly required? Looks like a great product.
These will land mid July again - I think we have about 3 left available in that batch. Send me a PM to get lined up so you are not disappointed when we stock out again which can happen before the container gets here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom