Projecting, tinkering, fiddle-farting around: whatcha building? (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Focal tweeters came in. Now all speakers are finished and rebuilt cluster arrives Monday.

Lol, pics do not match sides, but you get the idea. Out with old in with new.

20210522_233754.jpg

20210522_233114.jpg

20210522_233125.jpg

New to me antique mall copper coffee cup. It was covered in paint from someone using it as a brush cleaner. The bottom was beat up so I did just a quick straightening on it. I need to take some polishing pads to it still. I like this mug because as beat down and ugly as it it, I see beauty in it. Just like Jesus sees in me even though I’m beat down and ugly in my sin.
5FFC07B1-5DCB-496E-8277-43BA03DC9B44.jpeg
2B26B827-E473-47DF-A82B-AD02FB91CA5F.jpeg
7E9DF2D6-A103-47C6-A643-53F2F65960E8.jpeg
30D3D017-2D3C-4555-80F4-9C077976A715.jpeg

Collecting parts for my next two side projects.
One is a 2x72” belt grinder and the other adding a motor to my bead roller.
AEFF86E0-D9C3-4D58-9CAA-662891C760CB.jpeg

On my list for one of these days. Are you working off a particular set of plans or design?
I like the way the Jeremy Schmidt grinder tilts, thinking of using that feature but open on the other parts of the build.
I received the switches today, building a remote for a vfd.
On off switch, left/right switch, a speed diall and a dead Man switch. All completed with a rev counter.
298EFDF4-338F-4AB3-913C-FFFE1D3BD851.jpeg
On the left is a male/female connector that connects the remote switches to the vfd box.

So I fed the monkey on my back, and drove four hours each way to get another addition:

20210605_082237.jpg
20210605_082144.jpg
20210605_082257.jpg

20210605_085906.jpg

Manufactured 9/72. Has both locks keyed alike, which is unusual for these boxes. Original owner must have ordered new matching locks, separate from Craftsman. It's also got a period correct side shelf, although there is no stamped date of manufacture on it, the paint looks to be vintage correct.

This six drawer upper is different than the last one I acquired:

20210419_182421.jpg

The top drawer configuration is different, and it doesn't have the 'security' lock feature on the center drawer like the last one does. Which is sort of an annoyance, at least for me.

Unfortunately, the upper box had a couple previous owner 'modifications': An acrylic handle was attached to the upper box lid (I've removed it already), and some sort of document sleeve was pop riveted to the side. I've also removed that, but now I have four small holes in the box. I'm debating whether to fill them in, which would be more work that I want to do. Or just live with them. The side holes don't bother me as much as the holes on the lid. But for something that is almost 50 years old, it's in extremely good condition. Only going to need a thorough cleaning, and some fresh Teflon lube for the slides. The lower may need a few areas spot sprayed with hammer tone gray. But nothing major like a few of the other boxes I have. I already have another 5 drawer + bay lower, but it's a 1969 vintage and the bay door is painted gray. But I really like that bay for stashing larger tools.

I'm hoping to get this one all done this week, and put into line with the rest of them. Finished pics when that happens....

So.... I spent the afternoon yesterday cleaning the upper box. Got it all scrubbed, then decided to put it together. I had a limited amount of drawer liner left, but it turned out to be just enough:

20210606_193155.jpg
20210606_193105.jpg

The bottom drawer's liner was at the end of the roll, so it had a lot of 'wrinkles' in it. I figured out a good way to press them out:

20210607_101641.jpg

Today was spent taking out the drawers on the lower, pressure washing the case, and hand washing all five drawers, plus the bay door. The case got a few 'touch up' sprays of hammer tone gray on the worse of the rusted areas. Just waiting now for the paint to dry and the new roll of drawer liner to show up.

So.... I spent the afternoon yesterday cleaning the upper box. Got it all scrubbed, then decided to put it together. I had a limited amount of drawer liner left, but it turned out to be just enough:

View attachment 2697148 View attachment 2697150

The bottom drawer's liner was at the end of the roll, so it had a lot of 'wrinkles' in it. I figured out a good way to press them out:

View attachment 2697151

Today was spent taking out the drawers on the lower, pressure washing the case, and hand washing all five drawers, plus the bay door. The case got a few 'touch up' sprays of hammer tone gray on the worse of the rusted areas. Just waiting now for the paint to dry and the new roll of drawer liner to show up.
Awesome work. Curious the end game...do you have a museum for toolbox’s or do you sell after restore?

Awesome work. Curious the end game...do you have a museum for toolbox’s or do you sell after restore?
Thank You!

I've sold off a couple that were too much work. But for the most part, I keep them. Note: Wife has a love/hate relationship with these, as she often finds them for me on Marketplace...

I've got a 'Wall of Craftsman' in my basement with the stacks. Here's another pic of The Wall with the five (soon to be six) I've got lined up:

20210419_182859.jpg

In addition, I also have two more 2 drawer uppers, and a small 'baby box' that I've posted a pic of in this thread. If I can find another 2 drawer upper, I'll snag it and gift three of them to my grandsons.

I'm hooked on these old gray/red Craftsman tool boxes, as the first box I bought was a 3 drawer upper and 9 drawer lower. Which I still have. I always wanted the 10 drawer upper so I found one. Then two. Then I needed to get all of the ones from the 70's. I do have one 5 drawer + bay lower, that is dated 1969, and that might eventually go on the selling block, as it's just a wee bit older than the vintage I'm collecting. But only if I find the remaining ones I want from the early/mid 70's.

A few have seen full (well mostly) restorations. Others have had some cosmetic work done to them. And a rare couple have only needed a thorough cleaning.

I'm still hunting for a 7 drawer + bay lower, a 3 drawer middle, and the oh so elusive 12 drawer upper/lower combo.

Last edited:
Thank You!

I've sold off a couple that were too much work. But for the most part, I keep them. Note: Wife has a love/hate relationship with these, as she often finds them for me on Marketplace...

I've got a 'Wall of Craftsman' in my basement with the stacks. Here's another pic of The Wall with the five (soon to be six) I've got lined up:

View attachment 2697415

In addition, I also have two more 2 drawer uppers, and a small 'baby box' that I've posted a pic of in this thread. If I can find another 2 drawer upper, I'll snag it and gift three of them to my grandsons.

I'm hooked on these old gray/red Craftsman tool boxes, as the first box I bought was a 3 drawer upper and 9 drawer lower. Which I still have. I always wanted the 10 drawer upper so I found one. Then two. Then I needed to get all of the ones from the 70's. I do have one 5 drawer + bay lower, that is dated 1969, and that might eventually go on the selling block, as it's just a wee bit older than the vintage I'm collecting. But only if I find the remaining ones I want from the early/mid 70's.

A few have seen full (well mostly) restorations. Others have had some cosmetic work done to them. And a rare couple have only needed a thorough cleaning.

I'm still hunting for a 7 drawer + bay lower, a 3 drawer middle, and the oh so elusive 12 drawer upper/lower combo.
Pretty awesome stuff and solid wife. I’ve got my father in laws first single carry Craftsman tool box. It’s pretty beat up from years of use. Someday I’ll restore it.

Pretty awesome stuff and solid wife. I’ve got my father in laws first single carry Craftsman tool box. It’s pretty beat up from years of use. Someday I’ll restore it.
Oh, I had one of those. It was my first toolbox. I pretty much destroyed it after carrying it in my 1972 Peterbilt 352:

1972 Peterbilt.jpg

It was subsequently replaced by a 3 drawer upper box, then a little later I added a 9 drawer lower. That stack moved with me four or five times.

To me, it's all about history. I don't really like doing a 'full resto' on them, as I like having the vintage patina from years gone by. But some of them are beyond patina (IMHO)...

Amazon delivered the roll of drawer liner today, so I got right at cutting it for the 5 drawer lower. I also cut a piece of 1/2" plywood for the floor of the bay. Finished lubing up the slides and it's done:

20210608_161629.jpg
20210608_161643.jpg

20210608_161845.jpg
20210608_161923.jpg

Here it is all lined up in The Wall Of Craftsman:

20210608_162152.jpg

That's 13 1/2' of Craftsman Tool Boxes, ranging in age, from 1969 to 1976. And there's still two more 2 drawer uppers, and the 'baby' box. All looking for something to sit on top of.

Looks like I'll be searching for a few more lowers....

Anyone here do 3D printing? I need some small parts made and I can mail you the part for dimensions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom