Baselining my LX 470. New purchase! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just bought an 03 LX 470 with roughly 238k miles on it. The plan is to put bigger tires (34”), front bumper, rear bumper, sliders and a roof rack. Before I do so, I want to take care of everything below while I have the money. I’d hate to spend all the money on additions and adding weight all while I have parts that probably should be replaced. I’ve searched low and high on forums on how to baseline my vehicle and have a good starting point for my build.

I want to do and oil change, replace diff fluids, grease the drive shaft, replace rotors and pads on front and back.

Other big ticket items:

timing belt and pump, last replaced at 167k. How often does the water pump need replacing? Granting a mechanic hasn’t looked at it yet.

Rack and pinion, I’ve read a lot about this becoming an issue and it’s relatively expensive.

I have about 4K for repairs if needed. I’d like to replace as much as possible while I have the cash on hand now. What’s y’all’s recommendations, what am I missing? Just note, I haven’t had a mechanic dig through the underbody yet.

HEATER TEEEEEZZZZ

Checked them, they look like they have been replaced recently, though I think I may replace the hoses. I found a kit online, just waiting for it to come in stock.

Nice.

Maybe flush power steering fluid? If it was me I would definitely just replace the water pump with the timing belt if you can't confirm it was done at the last change....maybe do it anyway regardless. I'm due for a timing belt change myself. My truck came with a sticker saying it was done at 160k, but the only one there is a record of is at 90k by the dealer so I'm ignoring that sticker

Don’t trust that they look good. If you don’t know their age just do it. There is a reason it’s the first thing people mention. Mine went to a LC specialty shop, they said cooling looked fine, less than 5 minutes out of their shop my t’s blew. This is a great shop that I trust completely with my rig. Just replace them.

Don’t trust that they look good. If you don’t know their age just do it. There is a reason it’s the first thing people mention. Mine went to a LC specialty shop, they said cooling looked fine, less than 5 minutes out of their shop my t’s blew. This is a great shop that I trust completely with my rig. Just replace them.
Yeah for what it's worth mine looked OK when I changed them too. When I removed the hoses they broke into a million pieces.

I have around the same mileage and here are some other things that failed for me that you might want to replace (if they haven't already been) or prepare to replace:
- Alternator (sudden loss of power on the road is NOT fun)
- APPS/Throttle Lever Assembly (another sudden loss of power)
- Brake master cylinder (big $$$, unfortunately)

I'd also look into doing a complete front wheel bearing overhaul and brake line replacement.

Yeah for what it's worth mine looked OK when I changed them too. When I removed the hoses they broke into a million pieces.
I’ve seen aluminum t
I have around the same mileage and here are some other things that failed for me that you might want to replace (if they haven't already been) or prepare to replace:
- Alternator (sudden loss of power on the road is NOT fun)
- APPS/Throttle Lever Assembly (another sudden loss of power)
- Brake master cylinder (big $$$, unfortunately)

I'd also look into doing a complete front wheel bearing overhaul and brake line replacement.
Dude you weren’t joking about the brake master cylinder. $$$$. How much did that replacement cost you?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom