Coming up with a bumper idea is hard.... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Got the sheet metal done. Looks like just the bumper will weigh about 30 LBS in 3/16 mild. Not bad. I got it in 5 parts. Should be really easy to cut and toss together. Lots of seam, though.

Probably too late in the thread, but ask yourself: What do I want my bumper to do? How do I want it to look? .........Then compromise those 2 with some common sense strength/engineering consideration thrown in.

IE: I want the lower 2/3 of my front tires unobstructed to climb rocks. I want to have a level surface all the way accross to put a high lift jack under. I don't want to obstruct airflow to the radiator more than necessary. I need spots on the bumper to stand on climb on when stuck in deep mudholes. I want a brushguard to mount lights on and protect the front end. I want a flat shelf on the front bumper to carry extra fuel or water cans if need be.

If it does everything you want and need well then it will be beautiful in your eyes and "those who know or get it".

Just as a follow-up, here is a rear bumper that @HAMBURGLAR11 requested to match the front one I did here. It is designed for a 40" tire, and a 20" cooler. A lot of this could be done really easily on a CNC Plasma.

FJ40 Rear Bumper ISO.PNG

FJ40 Rear Bumper Front.PNG

FJ40 Rear Bumper Side.PNG

FJ40 Rear Bumper Top.PNG

Just as a follow-up, here is a rear bumper that @HAMBURGLAR11 requested to match the front one I did here. It is designed for a 40" tire, and a 20" cooler. A lot of this could be done really easily on a CNC Plasma.

View attachment 2696321

View attachment 2696320

View attachment 2696322

View attachment 2696323
I dig that. Might want to move the receiver hole down. The way it is, you'd have to cut a hole in the frame to accept it. I do like the idea of a bit of a step there though

I just don't have the funds to start from a pile of dust and build what I want.

Round 2

-I suck at trig
I can't wrap my head around how to get the correct lengths for the parts to make the outside edges go up a little bit. It'd be easier just to just run that edge against the edge sander and grind it off to get what I want. I can make it work obviously in 2D, but not past that. I need to sleep on it, I'll figure it out.

-Looks much more in scale. That's 4.5" tall, I might bump that up a freckle, but depends on the gauge of the steel going into it. I think that'll be the driving factor, not having to modify the bracket riveted to the frame.

- I narrowed it overall 2", might go another two. It's currently 56" wide. Where I'd like to see some flood lights is going to start getting kinda small though if I go narrower..

-Top face was 4" wide, it's now 3". Seems about right?

As to buying a bumper. I get that, I might still. It's fun doing stupid stuff like this though. I build cabinets for a living. Even if this is a complete fail in the end, It gave me a chance to think about things in ways I normally wouldn't. If I can get that trig to work correctly, I'll be a happy camper.

View attachment 2667984

View attachment 2667985

View attachment 2667987
i actually kinda like this design nut i would personally prefer a metal bumper to a wood one any day ;)

i actually kinda like this design nut i would personally prefer a metal bumper to a wood one any day ;)
Here's a few pics of my bumper. There is no CAD cam or laser cut anything. Total and complete tape measure and hand eyeball coordination. It won't win any beauty contest but it's functional design I think is good.
It has extensions on the ends that act as rock sliders for the rear quarter bottoms. I had the goofy Spanish blacked out tail lights so tail lights were incorporated into the bumper this allows me to have wider swing out tire rack that covers up the original blackout tail light. Swing out pivot is made from front wheel hub and bearing assembly from a Nissan Altima they're $18 a pair on Amazon. It is sturdy does not rattle, I can carry two 5 gallon Jerry cans behind the tire, high lift shovel and 30 ft toe strap are also secured on the same mount. My left rear door is totally accessible without moving a swing out. Easier to load stuff in and out of the back and better for emergency exit from the vehicle out the rear.

One bad thing about my bumper right now is the position of the high lift jack. Originally it was bolted by the two bolts in the middle of the spare tire on the very rear, but I didn't like the way it looked. Where it is now if I back into a tree in the woods at night with my spare tire I can flex that swing out enough to push the Jack through the rear window. If you do the type of off-roading where turns are so tight you go until you bump into something you need to ensure your swing outs can handle it.

If you cover both rear doors with swing outs, people in the inside cannot get out without somebody opening these up for them.

IMG_20210607_165418.jpg

IMG_20210607_165811.jpg

IMG_20210607_165550.jpg

IMG_20210607_165429.jpg

Here's a few pics of my bumper. There is no CAD cam or laser cut anything. Total and complete tape measure and hand eyeball coordination. It won't win any beauty contest but it's functional design I think is good.
It has extensions on the ends that act as rock sliders for the rear quarter bottoms. I had the goofy Spanish blacked out tail lights so tail lights were incorporated into the bumper this allows me to have wider swing out tire rack that covers up the original blackout tail light. Swing out pivot is made from front wheel hub and bearing assembly from a Nissan Altima they're $18 a pair on Amazon. It is sturdy does not rattle, I can carry two 5 gallon Jerry cans behind the tire, high lift shovel and 30 ft toe strap are also secured on the same mount. My left rear door is totally accessible without moving a swing out. Easier to load stuff in and out of the back and better for emergency exit from the vehicle out the rear.

One bad thing about my bumper right now is the position of the high lift jack. Originally it was bolted by the two bolts in the middle of the spare tire on the very rear, but I didn't like the way it looked. Where it is now if I back into a tree in the woods at night with my spare tire I can flex that swing out enough to push the Jack through the rear window. If you do the type of off-roading where turns are so tight you go until you bump into something you need to ensure your swing outs can handle it.

If you cover both rear doors with swing outs, people in the inside cannot get out without somebody opening these up for them.

View attachment 2697339

View attachment 2697344

View attachment 2697345

View attachment 2697347

It's always a trade-off. I almost never carry people in my 40. I usually like a cooler though, so it was an easy decision to add one. It's not like people can't wait for a minute to get let out or climb out the front seats.

Please excuse my failure to fully read your thread. I have a 70 series. Not really a issue with the 40.

No problem! Not my thread. I'm always glad to have other opinions, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom