Builds Wilson's FJ80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

And more parts....

IMG_7558.JPG

IMG_7572.JPG

IMG_7562.JPG
IMG_7564.JPG
IMG_7566.JPG

The engine bay is pretty tidy for now....

IMG_7571.JPG

The key with the 3F-E (besides installing an H55F behind it.... which is not happening since we want to keep the slush box) is allowing it to breath. I'll be doing a simple de-smog for the rig and turning the smog pump into an idler pulley. :) Getting rid of most of the vacuum lines and getting the engine back to a more simple state.

Then it's going to be many systems being addressed, in no particular order:

1. Front axle rebuild and FZJ80 front brake upgrade.
2. FF rear swap and disc brake conversion
3. Cooling system overhaul (new OEM radiator and lots of other bits)
4. Fluid baselineing
5. Tune up and valve adjustment
6. Fuel system overhaul

And that's going to be my contribution to this truck.... All of the fun additions will be moderated and decided upon by my wonderful wife whom the truck really belongs.

:)

New taillights installed and a lot of the nasty double-sided tape from the window visors and the stupid decals removed. Installing anything with double-sided tape is unforgivable.

PXL_20210605_205942133.jpg
PXL_20210605_210001557.jpg

The engine bay is pretty tidy for now....

View attachment 2695628

The key with the 3F-E (besides installing an H55F behind it.... which is not happening since we want to keep the slush box) is allowing it to breath. I'll be doing a simple de-smog for the rig and turning the smog pump into an idler pulley. :) Getting rid of most of the vacuum lines and getting the engine back to a more simple state.

Then it's going to be many systems being addressed, in no particular order:

1. Front axle rebuild and FZJ80 front brake upgrade.
2. FF rear swap and disc brake conversion
3. Cooling system overhaul (new OEM radiator and lots of other bits)
4. Fluid baselineing
5. Tune up and valve adjustment
6. Fuel system overhaul

And that's going to be my contribution to this truck.... All of the fun additions will be moderated and decided upon by my wonderful wife whom the truck really belongs.

:)

Engine bay looks good. Desmog is easy and JimC sells a kit.

Also, I will say that I had two men I love reach out to me about the engine... @shmukster texted me and @jonheld called me to sing the praises of the 3FE.

Ok, maybe Held wasn't ***exactly*** singing, but he did say he bought his new off the lot and lasted him until he bought his '97, and kept going well after that.

However, he did tell me that I needed to drive it like a tractor trailer until the brakes are upgraded.

Then it was off to Taos 3.5 hours north of ABQ.

Great car ride up with @pappy and good conversation with an old buddy.

Once we got there, found the truck, the dude showed up, gave us the papers and off I went heading back towards Santa Fe....

I knew the truck was 29 years old (08/1991 manufacture date) so I knew there was a definite possibility for s*** to go sideways on a 2200 mile road trip from NM to NY. What could possibly go wrong?

So, a suit case full of OEM parts and a suitcase full of tools came with me.

View attachment 2695571

I pulled over south of Taos and told Jon he could continue on back to ABQ and I did some wrenching along the Rio Grande.... Super nice night to do so....

View attachment 2695572

The engine bay actually looked great for a 29 year old truck. The radiator was original (16400-61240: discontinued) and the fan shroud broken. Looked to be a new engine wiring harness installed as the part number label was still almost new looking. That part hasn't been available in years so who knows.

So it was getting late in the evening on Saturday. I gave my old buddy Ben Busey a call in Corrales, NM. That's @cruiserdan oldest son....Told him I needed a place to crash and he was stoked to hear from me. So, I had a place to crash in ABQ to get rested before the trip home....

View attachment 2695577

View attachment 2695578

View attachment 2695579
If you can share the list of parts you brought along in that suitcase, I'm sure that--given your experience level--it would prove educational to others in similar situations...

So, I should add some context and expand on the acquisition of this FJ80:

My wife is in love with 80 series trucks. And I don't blame her. They really were the pinnacle of Toyota Land Cruiser design and manufacture (105 comes in a close 2nd place). And I agree with @cruiserdan when he has stated that the 80 series was probably the most impressive stock mass-produced 4x4 vehicle ever manufactured... now I am sure this is subject to many caveats, but I have yet to see a stock vehicle do things the 80 series has done.

I was very excited about getting back into an 80 series. I loved my 1997 FZJ80, I made my bones with my 80 series, and I spent a decade beating and thrashing the sheeeeeeit out of my 80 series (for those old enough to remember here on MUD).

View attachment 2695563

I am so happy to be part of the original group that got to see you wash your cruiser in the creek with Raj - the best damn wheeling dog ever. Before you added all those dents to your poor 80 ;)

If you can share the list of parts you brought along in that suitcase, I'm sure that--given your experience level--it would prove educational to others in similar situations...
He likes to do roadside maintenance. It’s not normal.

3FEs are like old men (trust me on this one).....it takes them all night long to do what they used to do all night long.......:rimshot:

What no mention of blasting across Oklahoma during a robust thunderstorm with the sunroof stuck open?
Cheers mi amigo

I suspect the two of you are already aware, but if you are looking for a bit more pep without a full swap, people have been known to wake up the auto with the wholesale automatics valvebody (Georg sells them). Other people have been known to wake up the 3FE with a 2F bottom end (if you know someone who has masochistic relationship with Toyota engine builds :p ). Some have been known to do both. :D

The 3FE is an over complicated mess but it’s an absolutely fine fine motor when stripped of all of the nasty tubes and mated to an H150.
I’m picturing shaved flares and Saudi stripes with steelies all wrapped up with a full floater rear axle topped off with a 5-spd manual.

I’m picturing shaved flares and Saudi stripes with steelies all wrapped up with a full floater rear axle topped off with a 5-spd manual.

Onur keeps tagging me in IG posts with decals such as this. I'd like them on a truck as long as it wasn't mine.

Also! Love this kolsch. Gracias!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom