Driveshaft/T-case noise/vibration/growl (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

My decel vibes are gone. New u joints in the rear fixed mine

Late this morning I went to @fourtrax and @4LowandSlow 's house to change out the output bearings and seal on the transfer case.

Taking it off, they noticed old oil has been in there for a long time. I don't think it's ever been changed till I changed it a few weeks ago.

20210531_114604.jpg
20210531_114615.jpg

Pulled it all apart and spun the bearings. They were binding a little bit. Cleaned and put everything back together.

20210531_144647.jpg

Went for a test drive. . No noise/no growl 🤸🏽‍♂️

Drove home and listen closely. . There is still a bit of a growl at higher speeds acceleration/deceleration, but no where near as severe as before. I'm going to chalk this up as a win.

I'm still open to suggestions. Want to give a thanks to everyone one that helped so far and a special thanks to @BILT4ME, @fourtrax and @4LowandSlow.

@BILT4ME talked to me for over an hr. We made different noises to help diagnosis the problem and pinpointed the bearings.

@fourtrax and @4LowandSlow allow me over their house to learn the secrets of wrenching. For this project, they did 99.9% of the work.

Late this morning I went to @fourtrax and @4LowandSlow 's house to change out the output bearings and seal on the transfer case.

Taking it off, they noticed old oil has been in there for a long time. I don't think it's ever been changed till I changed it a few weeks ago.

View attachment 2690504View attachment 2690505

Pulled it all apart and spun the bearings. They were binding a little bit. Cleaned and put everything back together.

View attachment 2690506

Went for a test drive. . No noise/no growl 🤸🏽‍♂️

Drove home and listen closely. . There is still a bit of a growl at higher speeds acceleration/deceleration, but no where near as severe as before. I'm going to chalk this up as a win.

I'm still open to suggestions. Want to give a thanks to everyone one that helped so far and a special thanks to @BILT4ME, @fourtrax and @4LowandSlow.

@BILT4ME talked to me for over an hr. We made different noises to help diagnosis the problem and pinpointed the bearings.

@fourtrax and @4LowandSlow allow me over their house to learn the secrets of wrenching. For this project, they did 99.9% of the work.
So, no NEW bearings at this time?

If so, maybe there was enough debris cleaned out to save it for a while.

You'll be back in, but hopefully not for a while.

So, no NEW bearings at this time?

If so, maybe there was enough debris cleaned out to save it for a while.

You'll be back in, but hopefully not for a while.
Yes, new bearings were put in.

Yes, new bearings were put in.
If the rear made that much noise and this change of bearings quieted it a significant amount, I'll bet the front is the same.......

If the rear made that much noise and this change of bearings quieted it a significant amount, I'll bet the front is the same.......
But when driving with only the front shaft on, I didnt hear anything.

Good work! I’ll bet the remaining growl is in the driveshafts.

Lol, y'all are silly, but thanks for the help. I really want to track it down, so piece by piece ill try to tackle it.

@BILT4ME your thinking its the front bearings in the tcase?

@Surfdc your thinking its the joints or actual shaft?

What if its the pinion bearings in either the front/rear axles? Not sure if regear kits also come with those bearing (because I regeared a few yrs ago).

Lol, y'all are silly, but thanks for the help. I really want to track it down, so piece by piece ill try to tackle it.

@BILT4ME your thinking its the front bearings in the tcase?

@Surfdc your thinking its the joints or actual shaft?

What if its the pinion bearings in either the front/rear axles? Not sure if regear kits also come with those bearing (because I regeared a few yrs ago).
I'm thinking it is the internal bearings in the T-Case as well as the front bearing. After seeing the amount of goo inside the case tells me that it had poor maintenance.

I'm thinking it's NOT the DS because the noise was there before they got replaced and they only have about 5000 miles on them.

I'm thinking it's NOT the pinion bearings for the same reason as the DS. Yes, the pinion bearings come with re-gear kits.

The only common denominator that has not been modified or changed post-noise is the transmission and the transfer case. Since the transmission is an automatic, it's less likely to have grinding noises like a gear driven unit would have, thus, again, I lean towards the T-Case.

I'm thinking it is the internal bearings in the T-Case as well as the front bearing. After seeing the amount of goo inside the case tells me that it had poor maintenance.

I'm thinking it's NOT the DS because the noise was there before they got replaced and they only have about 5000 miles on them.

I'm thinking it's NOT the pinion bearings for the same reason as the DS. Yes, the pinion bearings come with re-gear kits.

The only common denominator that has not been modified or changed post-noise is the transmission and the transfer case. Since the transmission is an automatic, it's less likely to have grinding noises like a gear driven unit would have, thus, again, I lean towards the T-Case.
Do you know of a complete kit for the tcase internals, or will i have to piece it together from Toyota?

I had them in mind when I asked.

Here's the catch-all question. . while im doing this, should I do something else while in the area?
Remove the radiator cap.

Purchase a new Toyota Radiator cap.

Drive a new truck underneath new radiator cap..........

I had them in mind when I asked.

Here's the catch-all question. . while im doing this, should I do something else while in the area?
If you have not done it yet, install a breather hose and make sure the fitting on top of the TC is clear. Run the hose up into the engine compartment with a filter or into one of those ARB multi-vent thingamabobs.

Maybe consider transmission hoses.
Speedo gear / sensor O-Rings
Plan on lubing the TC linkage crossbar and all
Transmission mount if not already done
Maybe engine mounts if not already done
Rear output shaft seal for transmission
Remove, clean and actuate all sensors on TC
Maybe consider removing your VC if that's something you desire. I like mine to keep down the clunk. If you want to remove it you'll need a kit with a spool. (Cruiser Outfitters)

Make sure you unbolt your fan shroud before you go dropping the cross member and all that so you don't wreck your cooling fan, radiator, and shroud.

If you have not done it yet, install a breather hose and make sure the fitting on top of the TC is clear. Run the hose up into the engine compartment with a filter or into one of those ARB multi-vent thingamabobs.

Maybe consider transmission hoses.
Speedo gear / sensor O-Rings
Plan on lubing the TC linkage crossbar and all
Transmission mount if not already done
Maybe engine mounts if not already done
Rear output shaft seal for transmission
Remove, clean and actuate all sensors on TC
Maybe consider removing your VC if that's something you desire. I like mine to keep down the clunk. If you want to remove it you'll need a kit with a spool. (Cruiser Outfitters)

Make sure you unbolt your fan shroud before you go dropping the cross member and all that so you don't wreck your cooling fan, radiator, and shroud.
Noted.

Breather hoses complete.
Transmission (and motor mounts) complete.
Rear output pinion seal complete (as of yesterday).
I cleaned the VC, but dont think ill be doing the spool kit (dont actual know what the spool provides).

So speedo o-ring, lube crossbar, and look for these transmission hoses (cant recall where they are).

I've been chasing this exact same problem so please allow me to share my experience.....

I've rebuilt both front and rear pumpkins to include all seals, bearings, gears and lockers. I've completely rebuilt the TC to include all bearings, seals and re-geared both high and low sides. I replaced the front drive shaft with a DC shaft. I still have a vibration that starts at about 65 mph and becomes unbearable at 75 mph. I have the growl and vibration upon lifting off the gas pedal. The only thing I've accomplished is to move the vibration up the speed scale about 10 mph and quieted the growl a little upon lifting.

After reading this thread from start to finish I can say I've already done everything being suggested. I'd hate to see someone else go down this expensive path of tearing into the diffs and TC. Mine were done as part of a total rebuild of the driveline and suspension before we discovered the vibration issue. I do believe the problem is in the drive shafts. I've pulled the front and driven a few miles and a lot of the noise and vibration went away, but not all. I haven't tried pulling the rear after installing the front DC shaft. That will happen this weekend. I also plan to go to a little shorter lift to improve drive shaft angles. A rebuild of he rear shaft is in my future. Someone mentioned above that new u-joints in their rear shaft helped, if not cured their problem.

If nothing else, a few new data points.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom