Fj80-Swapping out icon stage 3 rear springs for heavies...but which ones? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
There's a plethora of amazing info on 80s suspension...so much so it's hard to sort through. So I'm hoping I could get some advice. I've got a 3yr old Stage 3 Icon suspension that now cannot handle the weight I've recently added to it.

So the rear of my 80 is a bit saggy.

Has anyone matched icon fronts with something heavier in back? Is mixing and matching springs a good idea?

I was looking at the Slinky heavies or possibly going the OME route just for the back. Any recommendations?

Side question... anyone try to run 35s with a 3" icon lift?

I'm weighing my truck later this week, but I'm running:

Slee rear bumper
Full spare
Hi lift
3 Jerry cans fuel/water
Drawer system
Aux 135amph solar/Battery setup in rear
Hitch mount bike rack
Prinsu rack+4 person RTT
Front Arb bumper + winch

Last edited:
Post up what you would like to see your hub to flare measurement to be. That will also help the MUD collective help you.
Also, does the weight in the back change a lot, or is it mostly the same all the time?

There are zero issues running different springs. Our 94 shop rig has Icons up front and Slinky in the rear due to extra weight. There are plenty of options that will work well for you.

Keep in mind, if you’re overdriving the springs, you are likely over driving the shocks too. I have a good rebound recipe for the Icons that match heavier rigs.

Post up what you would like to see your hub to flare measurement to be. That will also help the MUD collective help you.
Also, does the weight in the back change a lot, or is it mostly the same all the time?
Thanks for the awesome feedback. I'd love the truck to sit level to back slightly higher. Currently, tge fronts are sitting at 24" from fender to center. The rear is sitting at 21.5". I'll have the large majority of the weight always on the truck.

Keep in mind, if you’re overdriving the springs, you are likely over driving the shocks too. I have a good rebound recipe for the Icons that match heavier rigs.
Lucky I just put the large majority of the weight on recently. I'd love to hear this awesome recipe!

There are zero issues running different springs. Our 94 shop rig has Icons up front and Slinky in the rear due to extra weight. There are plenty of options that will work well for you.
Oh fantastic! Can I ask what length you're running for front and rear? Are you matching the 3" icon lift with the 75mm heavy slinky's?

There's a plethora of amazing info on 80s suspension...so much so it's hard to sort through. So I'm hoping I could get some advice. I've got a 3yr old Stage 3 Icon suspension that now cannot handle the weight I've recently added to it.

So the rear of my 80 is a bit saggy.

Has anyone matched icon fronts with something heavier in back? Is mixing and matching springs a good idea?

I was looking at the Slinky heavies or possibly going the OME route just for the back. Any recommendations?

Side question... anyone try to run 35s with a 3" icon lift?

I'm weighing my truck later this week, but I'm running:

Sleep rear bumper
Full spare
Hi lift
3 Jerry cans fuel/water
Drawer system
Aux 135amph solar/Battery setup in rear
Hitch mount bike rack
Prinsu rack+4 person RTT
Front Arb bumper + winch
My rig weighs about 8,200lbs. I have the trekboxx alpha system in the rear, full of tools, Fridge and everything else. I ended up going to the slinky extra heavy duty springs, then I had my shocks re-valved for the heavier weight. It sits perfect now and rides great. fwiw, the slinky heavy duty springs sagged a couple Inches.

Quick update! Thanks for everyone's input here. The Slinky Springs are installed and perfect for the weight distribution I have going on. The slinky heavies raised the rear by 3", and it's now sitting almost perfectly flush. I love the feel of the slinky (rear) vs icon (front)....so I might need to swap the fronts out at some point, but first, 35's are in my near future.

IMG_20210619_143918056 (1).jpg

Looks good dude. Them 33" are a nice all around tire for the 80s and easy on the pocket book.

Looks good dude. Them 33" are a nice all around tire for the 80s and easy on the pocket book.
Thanks!, it's true, but 33's have been all i've known...I now suffer from 2"-itus....

Thanks!, it's true, but 33's have been all i've known...I now suffer from 2"-itus....

I feel ya bud and 35s do make life easier in some ways but more $$$ in other ways.

Dude,

Can you give me the hub center - fender lip measurement please. Looks like you have a 4" lift, yes?

Quick update! Thanks for everyone's input here. The Slinky Springs are installed and perfect for the weight distribution I have going on. The slinky heavies raised the rear by 3", and it's now sitting almost perfectly flush. I love the feel of the slinky (rear) vs icon (front)....so I might need to swap the fronts out at some point, but first, 35's are in my near future.

View attachment 2716525

forgot to ask, can you give me the hub center - fender lip measurement please?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom