City racer Ignition switch won't fit. Any ideas? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Tankota

SILVER Star
Threads
Bought this ignition switch from city racer. They say it fits. There's no key way (notch) to keep it from spinning when you turn the key. The snout is smaller and shorter than the factory one. Tried big washers but the snout is too short for them. Tried no washers and the tightening rings get sorta sideways in the dash hole.
You guys got any ideas on how this is supposed to fit?

20210413_085040.jpg

20210413_085011.jpg

@ToyotaMatt probably has the correct one

that looks like any generic unit you can get at any auto parts store

I asked city racer for help. Got challenged as to whether I actually bought it from them. Told them I was upset (no swearing or threats or anything like that) and was told I was rude and they wouldn't deal with me. Real nice.

Are you sure the ignition hole hasn't been modified? That hole above it doesn't look stock. The "notch" cut doesn't look factory.

Bought this ignition switch from city racer. They say it fits. There's no key way (notch) to keep it from spinning when you turn the key. The snout is smaller and shorter than the factory one. Tried big washers but the snout is too short for them. Tried no washers and the tightening rings get sorta sideways in the dash hole.
You guys got any ideas on how this is supposed to fit?

View attachment 2667783

View attachment 2667784
@ToyotaMatt probably has the correct one

that looks like any generic unit you can get at any auto parts store
Are you sure the ignition hole hasn't been modified? That hole above it doesn't look stock. The "notch" cut doesn't look factory.

ok , so ............

this is a TEXT book by the FSM eazy peezy correction from my point of view and long term experience with and simple Fascination with anything and everything Vintage Toyota locks , keys , and ignition switches .... :)

sit back , cold beer in hand and remember IWe will Always have your back 24/7 , just like our company motto says

- so , here we go :

- you have a 25mm factory hole there for a 24mm in-dash combo lock and ign start switch PERIOD ,

- the Factory correct KERF cut into the lower bottom is for proper switch alignment plumb level and square , also some years have a anodized dash Applique in place too , rare as sh#t but they exist 100% real

- city racer is a friend of mine , and im sure this is a honest , mistake or simple miss communication as some basic level ?
he is a honest Vendor and tru to his words in my experience and opinion as well .........fyi

- that being said lets move on to getting you all squared away with the correct OEM Toyota Genuine Parts needed correction solution at hand , focus forward and focus positive .......

- below are links to the correct in dash size spec switch u need ,

- i always use and apply toyota's Factory Focus-point mindset approach , and here i no different .....

- my switch comes with a professionally hand made with pride and attn to details Service Spec connector and color coded tracer stripe wire leeds .........

- join all 4 wires properly matching color codes up and safely , then plug in and play , bottom line .....

- stress is over and time for a Ice Cream Run in your rig with the Kidz ..........:cool:

1620434690873.png

1620435057853.png

1620434996846.png

1620435057853.png
0EBA3D32-6D12-4FB7-8A63-83262391DE9111.jpeg

140878414602 - Copy.jpg

What threw me off was the way the notch is cut. The few I have seen looked more squared off on the bottom of the notch cut.
Might be a good idea to measure the diameter of the hole to see if it is near Matt's 25 mm.

switch (3).jpg

You can get a new Toyota one for about $40ish still. :) 84450-60040

Was there a resolution to this issue? What is the stock dash hole diameter supposed to be?

Was there a resolution to this issue? What is the stock dash hole diameter supposed to be?
Hi, I'm wondering what's the dash hole size on Clifford? Does it have a key notch?
The 84450-60040 ignition cylinder also doesn't have a keyway. The snout on the cylinder I sent him is larger than 25mm, and it's secured exactly the same way on the dash.

Hi, I'm wondering what's the dash hole size on Clifford? Does it have a key notch?
The 84450-60040 ignition cylinder also doesn't have a keyway. The snout on the cylinder I sent him is larger than 25mm, and it's secured exactly the same way on the dash.
Unfortunately I am not around Clifford for a few months. Hopefully someone else with a early 40 can step up and measure their ignition switch hole .

I just replaced the ignition switch on my 72 with unit Matt is referring to above. Perfect fit, index slot and all.

Yeah that is the 60040 switch.

It fits perfectly because 84450-60040 is a 71-72 part #. The question is whether is fits earlier cars.
Understood. Just trying to add info to help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom