Elephant hill, Devil's kitchen, Beef basin, Dark canyon wheeling trip 6/17-6/21 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

alia176

SILVER Star
Threads
Hello all,

I'm planning a trip to the above mentioned locations and the three of us pulled permits to stay two nights in the Devil's kitchen campground on the nights of 6/18, 6/19. We are allowed a total of nine vehicles with three permits.

My proposed route is this: leave Abq on Thurs am 6/17 and camp somewhere off of hwy211. I know we've stayed at the Superbowl campground before but it's not easy to put a large group in one spot but I have other spots across the hwy that can accommodate us. We get up Fri 6/18 and meander our way to E-hill, which is on the same hwy, just further West.

I've attached the proposed route in GPX below. Please import this into your favorite GPS app or google map app to look at it.

We'll air down at the trail head then proceed to Devil's kitchen. Spend two nights, do some nice slot canyon hikes, check out the confluence overlook, 6/18, 619, then pull out on 6/20 which is Sunday. We then head south out of the park then go through Bobby's hole and enter Dark canyon/Beef basin trail network. Lots of ruins in this area and head southbound toward hwy 95. My hope is that we'll make good progress as this is mostly dirt driving and camp closer to hwy 95. We can also checkout the ruins off of Cottonwood wash if time permits. We will exit the system near bears ears or cottonwood wash Monday morning and head home. This is approx 60 miles from Devil's kitchen to the pavement.

Due to the obstacles that we'll encounter, you MUST have sliders and/or one rear tire traction device (ATRAC or lockers). Ideally, tire size needs to be 33" or so for max clearance. One jerry can of fuel will be required for "just in case".

Plenty of spotters will be available to help and stack rocks.

The "squeeze" is about the only place where vehicle width is a concern but I think that won't be an issue for landcruisers. There's a way around it if needed.

Please have the means to air down then back up and have all necessary recovery gear onboard. A solid, heavy duty recovery point on the front and rear is a MUST, in case the need arises. Please don't confuse recovery points with "auto transport" tie downs loops. ;)

As always, be able to fix your junk but we'll all be around to help/supervise :hmm:.

Pics and videos from 2019 album link

Canyonlands rules:
- no dogs
- no campfires
- no digging holes for pooping. Must carry your own WAG system
- no drones

Attendees:

1 - Ali
2 - Larry
3 - Jon
4 - Carlos
5 - Juane Tobascofish
6 - Taghi
7 -
8 -
9 -

Please post up if you'd like to attend.

GPX viewer

Attachments

• ut-devils-kitchen-to-hwy-95-bears-ears.gpx
    167.1 KB · Views: 182
Last edited:
Please watch the video if you are thinking about joining us. Here is the direct link, along with the Park Service page. Don't let this video discourage you. We all started someplace! Elephant Hill was one of the first "Moab" trails I did. You will have plenty of experience surrounding you. Ask for a spotter if you are uncomfortable with a section. There is no shame in asking for help. I can assure you we all will. Canyonlands has the potential to be a life changing experience. It is an amazing landscape.

To echo what Ali said, ~33" tires are a good idea (I run 32") along with a little lift, and some form of traction device (or technology) in the axles. While they might not be necessary, they can make negotiating the technical sections more confidant.

Park page: Backcountry and River Trip Orientation Films - Canyonlands National Park (U.S. National Park Service) - https://www.nps.gov/cany/learn/photosmultimedia/backcountry-river-orientation.htm

Direct link: Video (U.S. National Park Service) - https://www.nps.gov/media/video/view.htm?id=FD24ACED-AF8D-C470-3F8676BFCFAD0858

Good input Jon, thanks. Trips like these help you hone your wheeling as well as your GPS navigating skills. Take the opportunity to fire up your favorite GPS software then learn the ins/outs about it. I use Gaia app but there are several to choose from. Scenic maps for IOS is a popular one and it's free with min abilities.

Wish I could join you! Elephant Hill is awesome! Have fun!

Hello all,

I'm planning a trip to the above mentioned locations and the three of us pulled permits to stay two nights in the Devil's kitchen campground on the nights of 6/18, 6/19. We are allowed a total of nine vehicles with three permits.

My proposed route is this: leave Abq on Thurs am 6/17 and camp somewhere off of hwy211. I know we've stayed at the Superbowl campground before but it's not easy to put a large group in one spot but I have other spots across the hwy that can accommodate us. We get up Fri 6/18 and meander our way to E-hill, which is on the same hwy, just further West.

I've attached the proposed route in GPX below. Please import this into your favorite GPS app or google map app to look at it.

We'll air down at the trail head then proceed to Devil's kitchen. Spend two nights, do some nice slot canyon hikes, check out the confluence overlook, 6/18, 619, then pull out on 6/20 which is Sunday. We then head south out of the park then go through Bobby's hole and enter Dark canyon/Beef basin trail network. Lots of ruins in this area and head southbound toward hwy 95. My hope is that we'll make good progress as this is mostly dirt driving and camp closer to hwy 95. We can also checkout the ruins off of Cottonwood wash if time permits. We will exit the system near bears ears or cottonwood wash Monday morning and head home. This is approx 60 miles from Devil's kitchen to the pavement.

Due to the obstacles that we'll encounter, you MUST have sliders and/or one rear tire traction device (ATRAC or lockers). Ideally, tire size needs to be 33" or so for max clearance. One jerry can of fuel will be required for "just in case".

The "squeeze" is about the only place where vehicle width is a concern but I think that won't be an issue for landcruisers. There's a way around it if needed.

Please have the means to air down then back up and have all necessary recovery gear onboard. A solid, heavy duty recovery point on the front and rear is a MUST, in case the need arises. Please don't confuse recovery points with "auto transport" tie downs loops. ;)

As always, be able to fix your junk but we'll all be around to help/supervise :hmm:.

Canyonlands rules:
- no dogs
- no campfires
- no digging holes for pooping. Must carry your own WAG system
- no drones

Attendees:

1 - Ali
2 - Larry
3 - Jon
4 - Carlos
5 -
6 -
7 -
8 -
9 -

Please post up if you'd like to attend.

GPX viewer
We drove Elephant Hill in March. Can't get enough of that country.
Sign me up!

Please watch the video if you are thinking about joining us. Here is the direct link, along with the Park Service page. Don't let this video discourage you. We all started someplace! Elephant Hill was one of the first "Moab" trails I did. You will have plenty of experience surrounding you. Ask for a spotter if you are uncomfortable with a section. There is no shame in asking for help. I can assure you we all will. Canyonlands has the potential to be a life changing experience. It is an amazing landscape.

To echo what Ali said, ~33" tires are a good idea (I run 32") along with a little lift, and some form of traction device (or technology) in the axles. While they might not be necessary, they can make negotiating the technical sections more confidant.

Park page: Backcountry and River Trip Orientation Films - Canyonlands National Park (U.S. National Park Service) - https://www.nps.gov/cany/learn/photosmultimedia/backcountry-river-orientation.htm

Direct link: Video (U.S. National Park Service) - https://www.nps.gov/media/video/view.htm?id=FD24ACED-AF8D-C470-3F8676BFCFAD0858
I've driven, and accompanied folks with stock vehicles into the Needles over Elephant Hill many times.
The first time in a brand new Scout II.

Hey Ali! do u think I can do this?Now I have BFG all terrain 275/70R18

Do you have sliders? If so, I don't see why not. It's going to be a challenge for sure but plenty of people will be around to assist. E-hill won't be a problem, but SOB hill and Bobby's hole will be the issue.

Hey Ali! do u think I can do this?Now I have BFG all terrain 275/70R18
Do you have sliders? If so, I don't see why not. It's going to be a challenge for sure but plenty of people will be around to assist. E-hill won't be a problem, but SOB hill and Bobby's hole will be the issue.
Didn't he do that last year? I know David did in his mostly stock 100.

Didn't he do that last year? I know David did in his mostly stock 100.

David Lawrence did have sliders two years ago.

Done 👍

Updated first post with photos/vid album from two years ago.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom