1FZFE swap (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just out of curiosity will a 95-97 1fzfe fit into a 93-94 80 series ? I’m looking to swap an engine from a 97 into my 94 , any and all information helps ! Thanks

It will fit since they're the same engine but is it for just having a new engine or doing a swap just for OBD II?

I know they’ll fit but I was told I’d have to swap intakes / knock sensor / wiring and I want a plug an play engine ,
Bottom end blew up @NateFZJ80
Well, the only difference I have ever known of or come across is the OBD II and some of the exhaust (cats are in line and not side by side on a 97) is different. Somewhere on the forums, someone said something about intake being able to bolt right on even though it's said not to fit. If it's a full long block pull and swap, you should have no real problems. While your at it you might as well go down to a muffler shop and get a new exhaust (but get your own headers)! Still hope the best for your swap

PS. its expensive but a v8 swap is always an option and they make kits :clap: (re-reply because last one messed up)

@NateFZJ80 -

You’re oversimplifying the swap, having had 3 ‘97 80’s.

OBD2 is a MAF metered air/fuel ratio, takes a different engine harness, has a 2nd temp sender in the head for the ECU - and that’s just my off-the-top at midnite differences.

There’s a good reason the early 1FZ’s take work to force the manifold, where late 1FZ’s are plug/play.

IDK enough of early 1FZ’s as I never wanted one, but unless you have a decent amount of time underhood of both I’d refrain from passing info or talking full swaps.

@William839 - do you want a HP/TQ increase via something like a 5.3LS or a early non-VVTI 2UZ, or are you simply wanting the most cost-effective way out of the current situation?

If you simply wore out the bottom end, they can be bored & re-machined if you did say a light seize & all the basics are still sound.

You need to give a little more of your budget -to- final expectations before I say much else.
Also, a realistic idea of what work you can/have capabilities where you are - help too.
Labor you do can turn a 2UZ swap budget by 50% if you have the resources.

Help us help you with more details.

@NateFZJ80 -

You’re oversimplifying the swap, having had 3 ‘97 80’s.

OBD2 is a MAF metered air/fuel ratio, takes a different engine harness, has a 2nd temp sender in the head for the ECU - and that’s just my off-the-top at midnite differences.

There’s a good reason the early 1FZ’s take work to force the manifold, where late 1FZ’s are plug/play.

IDK enough of early 1FZ’s as I never wanted one, but unless you have a decent amount of time underhood of both I’d refrain from passing info or talking full swaps.

@William839 - do you want a HP/TQ increase via something like a 5.3LS or a early non-VVTI 2UZ, or are you simply wanting the most cost-effective way out of the current situation?

If you simply wore out the bottom end, they can be bored & re-machined if you did say a light seize & all the basics are still sound.

You need to give a little more of your budget -to- final expectations before I say much else.
Also, a realistic idea of what work you can/have capabilities where you are - help too.
Labor you do can turn a 2UZ swap budget by 50% if you have the resources.

Help us help you with more details.
I’m looking for the most cost effective way to get this 80 back up and running , it’s an all stock 94 and Its gonna be nothing more than a daily driver , I have another 80 that if I were to put the money into for a swap it would be the 97 which is already 90% to where I want it , as to why I would rather put the money into the 97 and get the 94 back up and running for as least time and work as possible , as to why throwing another 1fzfe would take me about a weekend as compared to doing a swap which would take months and more money 💰

I'm in this same boat, my '93 is still running at about 50% but it is looking like my best bet is to pull what I have and rebuild vs. trying to replace with anything really. A 93/94 engine has been challenging to find the couple months I have been searching, and any sort of v8 swap appears very time consuming and at least twice the cost.

@OlyWaFJ yup! Except the bottom end on my engine has a gaping hole in it ! Lol! Yea either way a V8 swap is going to cost more than finding a used 1fzfe, I even considered buying a rolling 97 chassis and dropping the body on it but wasn’t sure if that would fit , as far as it looking - I need - least amount of work to get it running - cheapest - reliable .
I’m surprised it’s this hard to find a early 1fzfe

It's easier to place a 95+ into a 93-94 than the other way around.

Need:
94 harness
94 AFM
94 coolant temp sensor (may be the same part)
94 knock sensor (may be the same part)
94 gas filter on intake
94 exhaust manifolds and exhaust
94 computers
94 throttle body
94 transmission
Most of that listed above will still be on the truck when you pull the engine anyway.

Do not need but can leave in place on the 97 engine:
Crank Sensor
Crank sensor gear
97 oil pan

The head is the same.
The intake manifold is the same, with a couple different sensors

Double check sensor part numbers by cross checking VIN #'s on partsouq or the like and you can get there.

@William839 -

Ok, got the goal.

With 2 80’s I’ll hazard a guess you got a couple wrenches somewhere ;)

How bad is the bottom end? Worn out rings & rod bearings, or totally cooked / welded itself tight?

Is a bottom end swap or refresh sans machine work -in your ability / facility to do it?

-It comes down to how cheap you can find a bottom end to swap, or pull yours if servicable & bore / do bearings & rings. Personally, I’d pull & machine if the block is viable/pistons come out.

It may be alot slower than finding a used bottom end, but you’re not buy/swapping a mystery meat bottom end that possibly needs crank bearings or similar too.

PS. its expensive but a v8 swap is always an option and they make kits :clap: (re-reply because last one messed up)
Sorry to hijack, but kits? I know Marks 4WD makes things that help with a LS V8 Swap, but a kit? Any info would be appreciated. I just watched a YT channel that does LS/LT swaps into Jeeps, and they sell a 100% complete kit from A/C lines, Power Steering bracket, transmissions, engines..etc. They shipped everything in a crate.

Need:
94 harness
94 AFM
94 gas filter on intake
94 computers
94 throttle body
94 transmission
Most of that listed above will still be on the truck when you pull the engine anyway.

Crank Sensor
Crank sensor gear
97 oil pan

The head is the same.

Double check sensor part numbers by cross checking VIN #'s on partsouq or the like and you can get there.
This is correct. You have everything you need in the 94. Pull the engine and swap everything over to the 97 engine and reinstall

Swap the intake, intake manifold, the vsvs under the intake are different but if you swap the manifold you are good. You could swap oil pans to get rid of the crank sensor on the 97 but you don't have to.

Need:
94 harness
94 AFM
94 gas filter on intake
94 computers
94 throttle body
94 transmission

Crank Sensor
Crank sensor gear
97 oil pan

The head is the same.

Ok so throwing a 97 engine into the 94 really doesn’t sound that bad , looks pretty plug and play , I guess to avoid the extra work however I’ll try exhausting my resources looking for a 93-94 first . Thank you for this list !!! 🙏

This is correct. You have everything you need in the 94. Pull the engine and swap everything over to the 97 engine and reinstall

Swap the intake, intake manifold, the vsvs under the intake are different but if you swap the manifold you are good. You could swap oil pans to get rid of the crank sensor on the 97 but you don't have to.
I suppose if I compared them side to side it wouldn’t be too hard to figure out what needs to switch and what doesn’t

@William839 -

Ok, got the goal.

With 2 80’s I’ll hazard a guess you got a couple wrenches somewhere ;)

How bad is the bottom end? Worn out rings & rod bearings, or totally cooked / welded itself tight?

Is a bottom end swap or refresh sans machine work -in your ability / facility to do it?

-It comes down to how cheap you can find a bottom end to swap, or pull yours if servicable & bore / do bearings & rings. Personally, I’d pull & machine if the block is viable/pistons come out.

It may be alot slower than finding a used bottom end, but you’re not buy/swapping a mystery meat bottom end that possibly needs crank bearings or similar too.
i haven’t gotten deep into it yet . I supposed building a new bottom end isn’t off the table , however throwing a used 1fz seems like a weekend job and shouldn’t be more than 800 bucks for a used one

Sorry to hijack, but kits? I know Marks 4WD makes things that help with a LS V8 Swap, but a kit? Any info would be appreciated. I just watched a YT channel that does LS/LT swaps into Jeeps, and they sell a 100% complete kit from A/C lines, Power Steering bracket, transmissions, engines..etc. They shipped everything in a crate.
That’s an unanswered question. With everyone doing swaps to 80 series these days why is there not a complete kit on the market? I’ve seen kits for Land Rover discos ,Jeep’s , etc. yet no kit for an 80 , the market would be huge I know I would buy. The only thing keeping me away from doing a swap is the time an effort , now on my built 80 I would consider the effort..

Download the fsm for the 94. Its easier to pull the engine and transmission together. I pulled mine in one morning following the fsm. Reinstall was the same. You will have to recharge your AC system after installation because you have to break that loose when you pull everything.

Download the fsm for the 94. Its easier to pull the engine and transmission together. I pulled mine in one morning following the fsm. Reinstall was the same. You will have to recharge your AC system after installation because you have to break that loose when you pull everything.
Loving these tips ! Keep em coming !

Buy ziplock bags, get a cheap table, follow the fsm step by step. I printed mine. As you remove bolts, screws etc, throw them in a bag and label them. Then place them on the table. This takes a little more time but is well worth it for install. The engine and transmission are heavy. Actual removal is a two man job. Once you get the transmission up to the front frame rail just stand in the engine bay and use a strap to lift and get it up and over the front frame rail. I used a motorcycle lift to help get the transmission up and over. I'll post my thread. It's not the most detailed but might help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom