LJ79 3L Turbo Issues (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello all, just recently bought a LJ79 with a turbo-ed 3L engine. Having some massive leak coming from the breather/PCV. Previous owner ran a hose from the engine all the way to the rear and the leak was really insane especially after a long drive (doesn't help that I park my car in a multi-story carpark, leaks tend to get worse everytime I have to climb upwards to the carpark).

Manage to minimize the leak through the installation of an oil catch can but the oil catch can is still spitting some oil around the engine bay. Was wondering if there is something critical going on with the engine or is it common to have this issue given that the engine was originally N/A. If it's normal, what's the fix that works for this current issue?

On a side note, I manage to get a set of KZJ78's fender flares but I got it without the mounts. Also wondering if anyone manage to rectify this issue or maybe someone somewhere is selling these brackets and mounts used to fit the KZJ's fender flare onto the LJ79.

Cheers and have a good day, fellas!

My only experience with a 3L is in an LN106 Hilux that has a 2LT turbo added to it. The oil catch can filled up (maybe) once a year and does not have the amount of leakage that you mentioned. Does it also have other weird symptoms like burning coolant and oil?

I also have an LJ79 with a turboed 3L and don't really have this issue. I actually just run a short piece of pipe that shoots towards the firewall, and the ammount of oil vapour coming out is so little it just sticks to the wall and doesnt even drip to the floor. I would start by checking oil level maybe its actually fuller than it should be, but if its not than you probably have excessive blow-by. What I noticed with the 3L (and I think all L engines) is that the oil gets very soothy and requires frequent change. I think its critical for this engine's reliability. By time the piston rings may get clogged up with carbon build-up, get stuck and dont seal properly the piston walls. If thats the case, there are oil additives you could try that clean the engine from the inside, you run it for X miles and then replace the oil.

So far there isn't any weird symptoms such as that. The only issue I have is the excessive oil shooting out of the Oil Catch Can.

Ah! thank you very much for the replies, I might try running the additive and see if it works. And if it doesn't, do you think by changing to a slightly bigger piston ring might help with this issue? I have a feeling that the previous owner used the same size piston ring on his last overhaul (yea, he did his own overhaul, and to be honest it wasn't that bad of a job, no where else leaks except for this particular issue).

And if it doesn't, do you think by changing to a slightly bigger piston ring might help with this issue? I have a feeling that the previous owner used the same size piston ring on his last overhaul (yea, he did his own overhaul, and to be honest it wasn't that bad of a job, no where else leaks except for this particular issue)
Its difficult to say. A machinist usually chooses the correct size if its done properly. An undersize ring may have already done damage that only honing the bore can fix.
You would probably get a better result running a thicker oil.

Ah hah! Today I manage to spot some white smokes coming out during the first drive of the day. I have decided to rebuild the engine.

@malteser is there anything I need to lookout for during the rebuild? Any things that can be modded for better output? I plan to maybe install an intercooler. Does yours run on an intercooler as well?

Ah hah! Today I manage to spot some white smokes coming out during the first drive of the day. I have decided to rebuild the engine.

@malteser is there anything I need to lookout for during the rebuild? Any things that can be modded for better output? I plan to maybe install an intercooler. Does yours run on an intercooler as well?

Mine never needed any work done to it so don't really have any experience rebuilding these engines. What I would suggest though is that you find a factory service manual and rebuild to factory specs.

Yes I do run an intercooler, a water-to-air type (charge cooler). If you want you can have a look at my build - Builds - 1993 LJ79 from Malta - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/1993-lj79-from-malta.942909/

Today I manage to spot some white smokes coming out during the first drive of the day. I have decided to rebuild the engine.

Is it white smoke or grey. White smoke doesn't indicate it needs a rebuild, more to do with cool than normal combustion

Is it white smoke or grey. White smoke doesn't indicate it needs a rebuild, more to do with cool than normal combustion

Hey! Sorry I've been away for abit. Currently facing an issue of grey smoke during higher rpms... And the oil being spit out of pcv is still relatively high..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom