Events/Trails Trail Run 5/22-23 GWT-Cherry to Williams (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Pitch

Driving from the 2nd row
SILVER Star
Threads
If there is interest, I’ll offer to lead a trail run this coming weekend (sorry for the short notice). Let’s meet Saturday morning at I 17 and Cherry Road/ Highway 169.

Time: meet at 17/169 8:30 Saturday (come filled up on gas) -Sunday noonish??

Route: I-17, Old Cherry Rd, travel to the Great Western Trail, and take it across the Black Mountains, down Mingus mountain through the Martin Canyon/Smiley Rock section of trail, crossing the Verde River at Perkinsville, and then climbing up into the Pines south of Williams, along the Sycamore rim.

We will likely detour to Sycamore Point, and finish up in Williams on Sunday (Historic Brewery Taproom patio). Plan for an overnight, most likely in the pine trees south of Williams at approximately 6300 feet.

Should be doable in any stock Land Cruiser, but if you are stock, I would highly suggest sliders and rocker protection, for both the Martin Canyon section, and the climb from Sand Flat towards Williams.

If there is interest, I’ll offer to lead a trail run this coming weekend (sorry for the short notice). Let’s meet Saturday morning at I 17 and Cherry Road/ Highway 169.

Route: I-17, Old Cherry Rd, travel to the Great Western Trail, and take it across the Black Mountains, down Mingus mountain through the Martin Canyon/Smiley Rock section of trail, crossing the Verde River at Perkinsville, and then climbing up into the Pines south of Williams, along the Sycamore rim.

We will likely detour to Sycamore Point, and finish up in Williams on Sunday (Historic Brewery Taproom patio). Plan for an overnight, most likely in the pine trees south of Williams at approximately 6300 feet.

Should be doable in any stock Land Cruiser, but if you are stock, I would highly suggest sliders and rocker protection, for both the Martin Canyon section, and the climb from Sand Flat towards Williams.
This sounds great, wish I was available. Thanks for offering to host a run!

I just drove through Cherry for the first time on Sunday! I’ll try to join, but realistically I’m 50/50.

I’m heading to the north rim Friday night for a week of random exploration. This might be an interesting alternate route to get there.

I am prepping for a long Memorial Day weekend, so I will miss this one. Don't forget to post a recap. I always like seeing the reports.

Looking for a Friday night campsite - are you going to be driving up Forest Road 96? If so I'll be camped at the first flat spot along it.

1621427754422.png

@Stepmurr , I have not been on FR 96 previously, but we can easily swing that way to meet up with you. Per the map, 96 connects to Old Cherry Rd/county rd 75... more dirt time!

@Stepmurr , I have not been on FR 96 previously, but we can easily swing that way to meet up with you. Per the map, 96 connects to Old Cherry Rd/county rd 75... more dirt time!
No need to change your route - I don’t know what the Old Cherry 🍒 Road is and thought FR96 might be it.
I’ll just camp near I17 and meet y’all at the intersection.

Sounds like a great run Pitch! Have fun for me, got little league baseball all weekend.

There is a campground off 169 just west of FR96 on FR372. It does join in to FR96 just past the campground. The camping is free with bathrooms.

34.578051 -112.068914
Thanks for the tip😉

It is the Powell Springs CG as I recall. It is on our route, just before the GWT turn on County Rd 75. Nice spot in the pines, FWIW..

Thanks for the invite. I am a maybe. I have likely done at least a few of these sections in the past. I would have to leave my place at 5:45am to be on time. Thus the maybe. I shared a camping spot with Pitch that is near the Sycamore Canyon Overlook.

Peace

It is a no-campfire time of year, but barring unsafe winds, the propane 🔥 will be lit!

If I can't stay for the entire route, it looks like I could bail out in Jerome. That would make it more feasible.

@Clunky , yep, several bail out points along the route.

On my way...

Trip is in the books. A cool affair, where no one was overheated, two -legged, or four-wheeled. 222 miles round trip from my house in Flagstaff, and about 134 (est) total on dirt. Trails were pretty empty, camping and overall, the company was great, now let’s get to the pics :

7A2958B7-5106-4366-9689-28295645840D.jpeg

8D6B0B08-C703-4097-84AC-6D1E6E52542B.jpeg

F221E7DB-DCE0-4827-8AFA-F1A00BE8A1DC.jpeg

C219F9D8-B525-477F-A1E3-56988DBE18F5.jpeg

09A7BB2B-C2F3-42F6-AC2D-0CE5EE91E228.jpeg

9176F610-23E4-42A0-8B5A-DFE5BCC3CC19.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom