CCOT tailgate not fitting properly (pics) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

85roktoy

SILVER Star
Threads
Went to install the CCOT tailgate this afternoon and it’s larger than the opening by about 1/4”. There’s no way to make it fit without forcing it and I’m not sure that would even work. In the pic the other side of the tailgate is pressed up against the inner lip.

The tub on this rig is original with zero rust and no bondo work. Has anybody run into this? Yes, I’ve reached out to CCOT already.

74BF6122-C6DA-42B7-B91E-77D776CB8507.jpeg

40161473-B6B0-4178-A1AF-0586ED30862B.jpeg

Looks like your tub is made for either barn doors or a tailgate. This plate is made to fit when ambulance doors are removed. Those fit flush with the tub. Tub is notched to so the doors fit flush. Barn doors and tailgate rested against the tub. The tub isn't notched. Few years I experimented with a OEM tailgate off 71 on a 76 tub. Tailgate fit inside the notch perfect.

It has ambulance doors with the notch. Just can’t see it in the pics above.

77D44C47-F4EA-4434-8984-FB9727194F48.jpeg

Okay I can see that now. Would get some measurements from members with original tubs and measurements from other aftermarket panels. Might be a day or two to get a couple tubs I have. Bought have ambulance doors but my 79 didn't have a top or doors when I bought. I have a top on it now but had a panel when I bought that. Think it's in the same location as two cruisers.

Thanks. Will see what CC says but I doubt it’s wrong as they probably have these produced in bulk. If anybody wants to shoot me some measurements I’d greatly appreciate it to compare.

My CCOT tub was off by 1/2" (wide) in a few areas, so I wouldn't rule out manufacturing issues - their QC left a bit to be desired, frankly. (Shop guys were nice, but owner wasn't too helpful either. 🤔 )

For what it's worth, my rear door opening is 41 3/4" at the lip on the outer sheet metal.

Screen Shot 2021-05-18 at 9.13.45 AM.png

Thanks man I’ll measure mine. It’s the factory tub.

Following. I have a 78 and bought the same tailgate. Top is coming off soon and hopefully mine fits.

Leaving for a few days but located and snapped a picture of the one that was on my 79. Had a 77 hard top and doors on it and switched to ambulance doors off a 84. Opening width is the same 1/75-12/78 and 1/79-3/83 in the US market.

My panel is right at 41 3/16" as well.
IMG_20210518_071857988_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpg

My opening is 41.5”. Hummm...

Here’s my opening...

1BAF540D-3685-428A-BCA1-D41B424FE971.jpeg

That clean of a rig, return the panel for refund or sell.
Then see if a local sheet metal shop can make you one to your specs of your rig.
To clean of a rig to mess up with non fitting part.

Is it the same top and bottom for width ? Is the panel from CCOT the same and square ?

That clean of a rig, return the panel for refund or sell.
Then see if a local sheet metal shop can make you one to your specs of your rig.
To clean of a rig to mess up with non fitting part.
Yes thinking I will do this or order the real steel panel.

Is it the same top and bottom for width ? Is the panel from CCOT the same and square ?
Yes same top to bottom. I’ll measure the CC panel tomorrow when I get home.

The 79 I know the history since 1993 and shows no sign of any repairs in the back. My 76 I've had 14 years and previous owner 11. Only has 4,500 miles on it and no body or rust for that matter. Can't check those for a few days.

What does the panel measure? Needs to be narrower than the opening to have a slight gap on each side.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom