Bad ground? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 1992 1HDj81 that just started playing up after I towed a trailer with a bad ground. The brake fuse was blown sometime durning the trip.

Now when I press the brake pedal the dash lights come on. Also, when I turn on my tail lights my brake lights come on as well with this tail lights. Both elements light up in the two way tail light bulbs.

The brake lights work normally without the tail lights on.

If i have the tail lights on and hit the brakes, the brake lights/tail lights/and licence plate bulbs all get a bit brighter.

I removed the trailer plug, removed the tail light bulbs, and I took a volt meter but still 12 volts at each contact point in the tail light socket.

I have 2 ohms of resistance from the ground on the tail light/brake light bulb ground to the frame.

This problem has been kicking my ass for the last few days. When I searched this forum for the problem a few similar post came up. From what i gather i have a bad ground somewhere. BUT WHERE??!!!

Ill have a look for the chassis grounds. I found one by the right kick panel, and read there is one under the consul and one by the rear cross member.

Anyone have any other ideas? Or am I going down the wrong rabbit whole?

Thanks in advance,

Most likely smoked the trailer harness in the RR fender well. Known to melt down and cause issues.

Most likely smoked the trailer harness in the RR fender well. Known to melt down and cause issues.
Ah ok, I had an ARB bumper put on about 12 years ago. It looks like they just tapped into the factory harness to install the tail lights, turn signals in the bumper. So do all 80's come with that trailer harness factory?

So, if i remove the RR interior pieces over the wheel well would it be located there?

Thanks

Last edited:
Ah ok, I had an ARB bumper put on about 12 years ago. It looks like they just tapped into the factory harness to install the tail lights, turn signals in the bumper. So do all 80's come with that trailer harness factory?
Most do have it.

I just noticed you are located in Olathe. I just moved to Overland Park last July. :bounce::bounce::bounce:
How about a picture of your truck? I'll bet I've seen you!

How about a picture of your truck? I'll bet I've seen you!
95893D01-D99B-470F-8C96-A44393262C70.jpeg

Last edited:
Does your truck have the trailer module in the rear passenger fender area (LHD vehicles)? That will go out as water will go past the belt molding "seals".

Pulled both rear interior pieces out and don’t see a trailer module yet. I’ll keep tracing the tail light wiring harness to the front and unplug it along the way to eliminate it out of the circuit.

Last edited:
Does your truck have the trailer module in the rear passenger fender area (LHD vehicles)? That will go out as water will go past the belt molding "seals".
Mine is RHD. The only thing on the right side above rear fender well is the drain for the sun roof, rear speaker, and tons of dog hair.

Im not impressed with the wiring the joker did when he installed the ARB bumper. I’ll tidy that up and remove it from circuit and see what that does.

Yep, sounds like a good plan. I doubt the RHD diesels have it, but maybe (they were added to NA on dock, apparently...)... the unprotected green wire that travels along the rear hatch line on the floor. It runs right over sharp sheet metal and is prone to damage and shorting. Worth pulling the screws from the rearmost carpet retention strip (the metal one right at the aft end and meets the tailgate).

Well found the problem. Mice have been pulling my insulation from my garage and building a nest in my ARB bumper. Little bastards. H8 mice.

Time to clean up the wiring put her back together and let the extermination process begin.

B9C53A9D-ED01-43F2-ACFE-B8D130AD5B1F.jpeg

A68CB544-915E-4319-B2DF-8387D38A21C5.jpeg

Yep, sounds like a good plan. I doubt the RHD diesels have it, but maybe (they were added to NA on dock, apparently...)... the unprotected green wire that travels along the rear hatch line on the floor. It runs right over sharp sheet metal and is prone to damage and shorting. Worth pulling the screws from the rearmost carpet retention strip (the metal one right at the aft end and meets the tailgate).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom