Suspension Question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I recently acquired a 2008 4Runner V8, SR5 4x4. The front suspension is stock Toyota struts - possibly the original ones, but I can't be sure. In any event, I think the shocks are done, or close to it. Springs too. The front end sits pretty low - lower than the factory rake would be, yet the ride is a fairly springy. Driving, it feels like you're barely higher than a sedan. It sits a couple of inches lower than my wife's bone stock 2018 4Runner Limited, at least in the front.

I'd like to bring the whole truck up a bit and reduce or eliminate the rake. It's my daughter's truck, and it's not likely to ever leave the pavement.

What I'm considering is new KYB struts in the front, KYB shocks in the back, and Moog springs in the back. All OEM spec.

Plus the Rough Country spacer kit that brings the front up 2" and the rear up 1".

So, the questions are:

1. Does anyone have any experience with, or educated thoughts on, the stock height KYB and Moog components.

2. Does anyone have any experience with, or educated thoughts on, the Rough Country (or any equivalent) spacer kit?

3. If you'd advise against either or both, what would you suggest as an alternative? And why?

Thanks!

I think you are on the correct path for on road stock suspension replacement. I would heavily advise against rough country in general as it's the cheapest stuff on the market and not worth the install.

Some other options to consider. Stock 5th gen suspension will fit your truck. Maybe try and find take offs from someone upgrading their suspension. Newer tacomas have upgraded front coils/struts and will offer a minor lift.

Lifting:
Why do you want to lift a pavement truck? Leave it low and safer to drive for your family. If you insist on lifting the front then I would suggest installing upgraded springs with the front struts. That would give you the lift without the spacers. The rear can be lifted with upgraded OME Light coils rather cheap (under $200). I would avoid the 2895 mediums as they would be too stiff and tall for a stock truck without a heavy load.

Front End:
Consider new OEM upper and lower ball joints. If those fail the tire tries to leave the truck and is a huge safety issue. Spend good money on ball joints.

I think you are on the correct path for on road stock suspension replacement. I would heavily advise against rough country in general as it's the cheapest stuff on the market and not worth the install.

Some other options to consider. Stock 5th gen suspension will fit your truck. Maybe try and find take offs from someone upgrading their suspension. Newer tacomas have upgraded front coils/struts and will offer a minor lift.

Lifting:
Why do you want to lift a pavement truck? Leave it low and safer to drive for your family. If you insist on lifting the front then I would suggest installing upgraded springs with the front struts. That would give you the lift without the spacers. The rear can be lifted with upgraded OME Light coils rather cheap (under $200). I would avoid the 2895 mediums as they would be too stiff and tall for a stock truck without a heavy load.

Front End:
Consider new OEM upper and lower ball joints. If those fail the tire tries to leave the truck and is a huge safety issue. Spend good money on ball joints.
Why lift? A few reasons. Right now, it looks weird. Way too low to the ground. And I think new stock suspension would bring it up some - I suspect the struts that are in there now are sagging. But why bring it up an additional inch or two? Again, looks, but that's not the only reason. We do hunt, and while the truck should never see any technical terrain, it could very well see some Mississippi Delta mud, and clearance is important there. Also, depending on where she goes to college, it may also see some snow and backcountry roads, where clearance can also be useful.

As for the ball joints, the front end is tight and tracks straight as an arrow. If I get to the point of needing new ones, I'd definitely go OEM, 555, or Moog. I've ridden that rodeo with my Hundy.

Sounds like you're on the right track. If you are going to spacer lift the front I would recommend Daystar. They are affordable but their quality is good. Remember that the front IFS suspension is 2:1 ratio. So a one inch spacer will give you a 2 inch lift. Any more than that and you're asking for trouble with the CV angles.

OME coils should be able to give you the lift you need without spacers. Scrap the rear coils and don't look back. They are old and not worth throwing a spacer in since it sounds like you plan on keeping this vehicle for awhile.

Good name brand tires (aka Goodyear / BFG) will get you more places than clearance. Stay away from the Falken Wildpeaks. They are way heavier than comparable tires and I am still having a hard time why people love them.

Sounds like you're on the right track. If you are going to spacer lift the front I would recommend Daystar. They are affordable but their quality is good. Remember that the front IFS suspension is 2:1 ratio. So a one inch spacer will give you a 2 inch lift. Any more than that and you're asking for trouble with the CV angles.

OME coils should be able to give you the lift you need without spacers. Scrap the rear coils and don't look back. They are old and not worth throwing a spacer in since it sounds like you plan on keeping this vehicle for awhile.

Good name brand tires (aka Goodyear / BFG) will get you more places than clearance. Stay away from the Falken Wildpeaks. They are way heavier than comparable tires and I am still having a hard time why people love them.
Thanks for the advice on Daystar and the OME rear springs. Any idea if the Moog springs on Rock Auto would give a similar lift?

I hear you on the tires. Interesting about the Wildpeaks - I had a set on an LX570, and I loved them. But, that was the prior iteration, not the current ones, and the LX was mostly on-road or dirt road, no real mud or off-roading.

I have no way to compare the coils you are referencing. Sorry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom