LX470 subwoofer fix - $15 solution (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I want to share my solution to the blown out subwoofer in my LX470 that has the Mark Levinson sound system. I did a bit of research here and on clublexus to determine the best and cheapest solution to the problem. The main issue with the factory sub is that it is rated at 8 ohms. Most car audio subwoofers on the market are 4 ohms or lower.

My trick is to go to your local Goodwill store. Stop by the electronics section and scoop that 10" home audio subwoofer, in a ported box, for less than $20! Home audio subwoofers are almost always 8 ohms. The subwoofer you just bought is likely powered with an amp on the back of the box, you need to bypass the amp. Unscrew the back plate, then wire directly to the speaker.

It, of course, takes up some space in the back, but it bumps!

Someone else can do a write up with pics, just give me a shout out!

ReFoam kits are available for about $15 on ebay. I just replaced one. works great and stays stock

ReFoam kits are available for about $15 on ebay. I just replaced one. works great and stays stock
Yeh, I've re-foamed it once before. I prefer this method because it improved the sound quality a lot. It's great to have options.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom