Bleed brakes. The final solution ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

It might be a bad wheel cyl... rear passenger does not seem to articulate
In fact in messing with it it finallly popped.
New one ordered...
We we’ll see

I just noticed that you have a ‘78. I think that they had 4 cylinders on the rears like my ‘76, but maybe they only have one cylinder per side and one adjuster Like the later FJ40s.

Ah makes sense. Had me scratch my head...

@Pin_Head :hmm:

I thought so as well... Who knew the fiche was wrong..
1620521874253.png

So which is it, 2 per rear wheel or one ?

Not my Rig. But looks like this....

80554010-7CED-414B-B5B8-C5677B8500C1.png

So in the rear you have 2 on each side, a total of 4. And you are adjusting all 4?

also aftermarket wheel cylinders have been known to trap air in them and required additional bleeding

Hah. Yes. But I’m in too deep now

Try doing a search (Disc/drum double pump pedal finally solved) by me "FJROSS". I believe the aftermarket wheel cylinders are constructed differently and don't allow the trapped air to be bled unless you disassemble them as per the post.

Try doing a search (Disc/drum double pump pedal finally solved) by me "FJROSS". I believe the aftermarket wheel cylinders are constructed differently and don't allow the trapped air to be bled unless you disassemble them as per the post.
This is a good path. A bit hard to follow in practice but something to try! It is greatly appreciated

Your not the only one that has had this issue, keep at it, the drums work.
Regarding Pin Heads ?, you say it will pump up, how many pumps, should be 2 and then just a squeeze for the third maybe, not more, could get tight pedal on 2 pumps hopefully.
On the rears, have you tried clamping the soft line to isolate the rears and see if pedal gets firm with less or no pumping ? try that, it will tell you where you need to work it out, old soft lines will sometime balloon and cause this issue but IIRC there aint much soft line. Its a fine line between proper adjustment and smokin the shoes, you'll know if they are too tight by the smell. Just curious, did you check the shoes( assuming new ) to see how the arc matched the drum, seen some that were off and makes it so no adjustment will work. Have you verified all wheel cyls. are functioning ?

Yes it will pump and hold on about the second or third press down

new wheel cylinders and all appear to be moving and working....

The drums and shoes are as tight as I dare get them

I used the same drums as they were in good shape with enough wear surface left.

I have hard lines so no soft ones... but it leads mto some new was to block off one side

spent another hour jacking around with it tonight ... no major progress

thank you for the encouragement

Did you have the drums resurfaced? I went with new drums when I did my brakes last summer. I was told to always resurface or replace the drums when replacing the shoes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom