Builds fj62 gets a lift (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I was about to order some new OEM hatch struts from Toyota Parts Direct but maybe LST is an option. There are a million versions though. If I tell them it's for a BJ60 will they know?

i wouldn’t think there was a difference. i thought all the wagons had the same rear hatch. maybe someone could school me if different. when i told him what they were for he seemed to know exactly what i needed and assembled them right there while i waited. took 5 minutes!

these ones have a ball stud that screws in and then they snap on so they’re really easy to replace next time. the studs came with them.

strange event today. -40 today and i went to start my truck. it was in my garage but still cold. i turned it over and the battery it pretty dead but when i turned the key off the starter was still trying to turn the engine over. now battery it totally dead. not enough power to even get my webasto to turn on. it’s not the dead battery that’s the issue. it’s the fact it kept turning over after i turned the key off. do relays stick open when they get super cold? i have a relay to my starter to bypass the ignition wiring so it doesn’t draw full power through the old harness. make sense?

That happened to me earlier this week, when I tried to start it at -30*. Pulled the key out of the ignition, but the engine kept cranking. Finally disconnected the battery ground strap to get it to stop, then used my wife's hair dryer to thaw the ignition switch. Been working fine since. I think it was the extreme cold causing the ignition switch to seize up.

didn’t work. changed this guy out and it’s running
18A357E7-89A5-4427-AEDF-A8C2558CE5C1.jpeg

well i’ve been down for a few weeks back in -45 weather my transfercase bought the farm. apparently i’ve had a leak as there was only a cup of oil in it and the cold weather just didn’t let that lubricator anything. its funny because i didn’t have any oil on my floor under the truck and the transmission isn’t over filled from a seal leak. it’s taken me a few weeks to find parts but i have a low mileage set of gears coming from raddcruisers and the rebuild kit. hoping to have it all back together next week. gears were apparently all burnt so time for new ones. lesson learned check ALL fluids regularly and don’t assume it’s all ok just because it’s not on the ground under your truck

Last edited:
trucks back!! runs great but now my speedometer isnt working. something got broke in my ratio converter 🤬. such a can of works these things can be!

it really needs a bath too!

got a new to me front marker light installed. also fixed my speedo cable (the fitting one the end got pulled off a little and the wire inside wasn’t engaging). also pulled off my drivers door relay to send to @Spook50 for a fix up so my window works again.
3B812312-FEF4-40C3-B5AF-0F3293B8AC1F.jpeg
5044F4F2-0983-4CEA-AEFA-F4D96AD0F69D.jpeg

next is the bath once the snow stops and things dry up a little!

i found a used one from 4wheel auto in edmonton. they are NLA new so gotta find a part out that has them. i think this was off a 60 as the electrical plug was different than mine. just put my own connector on it and removed the old corroded one. now i want to get some LED markers.

i hate to say it but i’ve gone and put front mud flaps on. the gravel i drive is killing my paint. i have the original rear ones. they help. i need front ones and i’m not about to pay $500 for used OEM so i bought these. they’re the profit truck splash guard style 6. i just had to drill a hole in the mud flap and they screw right into the original holes in the fender.
687C4591-83E1-43D9-9E24-334F38AED149.jpeg
F7BE2F55-6078-460B-AA74-94449232D153.jpeg
038A687C-68BE-4770-93D8-AD2F9AD9846F.jpeg

also put new trailer wiring in. my old stuff was broken and not working well.
image.jpg

this one has the 7 wire and the 4 wire in one so i don’t have to use an adapter!

i’ve been having troubles with water getting into my rear led lights so i took them apart cleaned them up repainted them and sealed them up. now i’ve been running the winding for them. so far they’ve been poser lights that didn’t work because i’ve had other things to work on. tonight i ran wires for them and hooked up the relay and in line fuse. now i have to finish the switch side of things. it’s also time for a bus bar i’ve got sitting on my bench by the looks of things. 🙄

i have a couple fj60 defrost switches that have been repurposed so i’ll wire them up. this seems to be the correct wiring for them so i’ll do all the interior wiring next time. my other one isn’t wired right so i don’t get the back light on the switch to come on. this should fix it for the fog lights and i’ll wire the second switch for the backup lights
F5564A8F-690F-4C34-B1C4-64C66652A917.jpeg
C2648612-F067-4B9E-AF9F-2A7C8DC99C14.jpeg
B05AB8DF-3363-4803-9F54-9A41EF94B646.jpeg
CAD6B546-0071-4FB0-8C9F-B2306393C3B7.jpeg

switch wiring
05524187-ABD9-46F0-A379-E1CC8F446578.jpeg

Last edited:

small business store in classifieds

i do wonder if i should have just put them on the glass though. i saw one picture with them here and thought it looked good but now i question my decision. oh well

finally got the rear bumper lights wired up using repurposed defrost a switch. i’m still trying to figure out the illumination. i also seemed to do a poor job of the dash mounting. i tried to get cute and make a bend to the metal like the original hole. it just made a mess. i’m going to make a mounting plate now that goes over the whole area covering the two stitches and dimmer switch.

9D6BC847-DA2D-4D4C-9E8C-03D3A418E980.jpeg

7D09A508-AAED-4EF0-BC78-60E95EE58803.jpeg

spent some time chasing the reason my cargo light didn’t work. i used this tread to get me going. How-to: Tailgate light switch restore - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/how-to-tailgate-light-switch-restore.679368/

first i took the latch out and cleaned it up. it was full of gunk. i sanded the little post on the spring to freshen it up. then i checked the switch. my “on” worked just not the hatch. the power and one ground were therefore good. i tested the continuity of the wire with red and white stripe and sure enough it was also broken. i had to take down a bit of headliner to access the connectors up in the drivers side. found the break and built a new segment. after reinstall it all works properly again.
ED9F687D-9B6A-4373-8F05-7CB6EAF7966C.jpeg
B85F21A7-C9EF-47E4-9361-4CC21A42700C.jpeg
5833A245-8D67-4080-A715-782860E82EB4.jpeg
5F8B11CD-0900-4C67-810D-9162A51983B2.jpeg

now while it’s all apart i’ll chase the ground issue with my wiper motor tomorrow. the motor works when 12v and ground are applied so it’s good. it’s a connection somewhere. after that passenger rear door light.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom